Subject: A couple of rules questions: Air units in a land Blitz? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Hales
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have to say, I am finding this rule book a slog! Not exactly intuitive.

However, I cannot find answers to the following (though they may well be hidden in there somewhere!)

Firstly, if I expend one oil for a Land Blitz, can I fly in air units for ground support? I assume the answer is yes, because that technically falls under activity E, but does everyone agree?

Secondly, can the Axis target US LL units in naval combat before the US enters the War? It would seem a little artificial if they cannot (just waving through those armament ships...) but I cannot find a rule that covers it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Toby,

Happy to answer any questions you may have!

1) Yes all units can participate normally in a Ground Attack, including air and naval units.

2) No they can't. They would have to declare war.

Re #2, while I sympathize with your perspective from a modern standpoint, keep in mind that this is ~1940-1941, when the rules of war were taken a bit more seriously. Also note the advantage we have from historical hindsight: the fact that the war was about to mushroom into a "war to the death" was not yet apparent even to those who may have been hoping it would turn out that way. Not irritating neutrals like the USA and others was a fairly big deal. The USA entered WW1 in large part because of German subs sinking American cargo ships; what is the USA had never entered WW1? Surely such a question had been debated by the German high command. That the USA was "going to enter in a turn or two anyways" (as we might think about it as players) was not how such things were viewed at the time.

Additionally, shooting up American cargo ships because they were possibly (you couldn't prove it in advance of the sinking) sending war materials to your enemy is not going to win friends among important neutrals like Sweden, Yugoslavia, Turkey, etc. Such actions might convince these minors to send more aid to the Allies by mistake. (While we now know that it would have been near-suicidal for Yugoslavia to help the Allies in 1940, no one knew that in 1940, etc.)

That said, it is possible there is some middle ground where the USA's naval involvement in the Atlantic in 1940-41 could be better represented without involving many & extra complicated rules. (I have some ideas that are being playtested.)

Kind regards,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Hales
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dave, thanks so much for the prompt response, and I understand what you say about the LL units. Maybe the answer is to give the Germans the option of attacking them but with the result that the US "It's War" marker advances significantly? That would simulate the impact of such aggression on public opinion in the States.

A couple more questions if I may:

Firstly, do naval units add their factors (one for small units and two for big) to land combat in any land area bordering the sea area they are in? Even if it's a really big land area like Western Germany?

Secondly, I did not read the rules as giving each nation any resources and oil at the game start, hence Germany had no oil for a turn 1 blitz against Poland. Is that right, or is there a starting quota? I read a reply you gave to another thread that seemed to suggest a turn 1 blitz was possible.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Toby,

Yes, that is what we are looking at for LL units before the USA is in the war.

Yes naval units can add their 1 or 2 Land Factors to any combat that occurs in a coastal land area. (Consider this to be supporting those attacks near the coast line only.)

Yes Germany starts with 1 Oil in the full game. Please see the icon marker on their set up chart indicating this. Other scenarios show at-start Oil in the same way.

Kind regards,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.