Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Forbidden Stars is more or less OOP, I am wondering what other games that are in print scratch a similar itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The also out of print Star Craft. The Horus Hersey board game also oop now, has different mechanics, but a fun battle system, that went on to become the conquest battle system mixed with Starcrafts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends a little on what the itch is for you, but your best bet for an in print game is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really is one other, which is mentioned above: Game of Thrones board game.

BUT!

Forbidden Stars is simply much better. Not to disrespect Game of Thrones, one of my favorite games, but Forbidden Stars does a lot of it better.

Once FFG realizes that Game of Thrones 3rd Edition should have modular board (you could still build Westeros with it if you wamt) and victory point and upgrade system similar to Forbidden Stars, then it would sell like hotcakes.

I still consider Game of Thrones a near perfect game, with its only fault the truly non-modular board. The three power track system is amazing.

One could only hope.

But long story short, Forbidden Stars really is the best of this kind of game. And we can hope for a reimplementation to do it better.

One day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What aspect of Forbidden stars are you looking to capture?

That would affect my recommendation.

These come to my mind for some reason:
-Kemet
-Dune/Rex
-Blood Rage
-Cry Havoc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
"Some men live their lives terrified. Terrified of the night and all that is dark. I will live my life eternally in fear of the light of day." -- Barnabas Collins 1796
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as dudes-on-a-map games are concerned, it's quite unique. I have a feeling it will be re-skinned by Fantasy Flight Games using an original setting that is only reminiscent of the 40K Universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
What aspect of Forbidden stars are you looking to capture?

That would affect my recommendation.

These come to my mind for some reason:
-Kemet
-Dune/Rex
-Blood Rage
-Cry Havoc

Dudes on a map awesomeness with asymmetry and depth. I also like that it has bluffing aspects as well as multiple paths to victory.

Dice combat is nice especially when combined with card play. Gaining tech is cool as well. I also like the order system.

Now I'm sure there won't be a game that has every base covered, but if the recommendation did some of these things really well as well as integrate other new things, I'd be game.

At this point, having said all that, I think Cry Havoc looks very interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pyetya
msg tools
mb
Unfortunately I can see nothing that can replace Forbidden Stars Happy owner of the copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
It depends a little on what the itch is for you, but your best bet for an in print game is A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition).

From what I've read, it looks like this game is great... but with 6 players and not at other player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

From what I've read, it looks like this game is great... but with 6 players and not at other player counts.
4+ is good. The static board does limit lower player counts though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played A Game of Thrones a couple of times with 5-6 players. Decent enough game, but doesn't begin to scratch the same itch that Forbidden Stars does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars is probably the closest of games that are in print, but it is still a lot different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Na. It sucks at all player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
Forbidden stars is just so darn good. IMO best battle system in any game. Copies are still available, just get it. That simple buy it and play it. I am banking you will eventually see some form of content. Now if that just is not an option for you. Kemet (again IMO) is a nice option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but a 13 year old game that is still in the top 100 can't be all that bad.

BTW I am actually curious what in particular you don't like since most major mechanics of the game appear in some form in Forbidden Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the FFG games with a Games Workshop license are going out of print. Get'em while you can (Chaos in the Old World too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but a 13 year old game that is still in the top 100 can't be all that bad.

BTW I am actually curious what in particular you don't like since most major mechanics of the game appear in some form in Forbidden Stars.

I like both games. However Game of Thrones plays completely differently than Forbidden Stars and StarCraft. Its true you place order tokens in Game of Thrones, but they work completely different than Forbidden Stars. There is no stacking, you are required to give each army an order and other than the movement order they have completely different functions.

Both are great games to me, but I don't feel Game of Thrones has much similarity. I have seen them compared multiple times and always wonder why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:
ras2124 wrote:

I like both games. However Game of Thrones plays completely differently than Forbidden Stars and StarCraft. Its true you place order tokens in Game of Thrones, but they work completely different than Forbidden Stars. There is no stacking, you are required to give each army an order and other than the movement order they have completely different functions.

Both are great games to me, but I don't feel Game of Thrones has much similarity. I have seen them compared multiple times and always wonder why.
It gets compared because a lot of the stuff from Game of Thrones was reworked for Starcraft (which then led almost directly into Forbidden Stars). Basically it laid a lot of the ground work for the ideas.

However, I was asking Gylthinel directly since he doesn't seem to think it is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones is much dryer than Forbidden Stars or Starcraft. Their similarities are superficial. They sure don't feel very similar when you play them. FS and SC both feel very asymmetric and aggressive in comparison to AGoT. Also loaded with more "stuff". I'm curious to hear his opinion as well but I'm not surprised at all that someone would like one and not the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess that it is a fair bet that FFG will make a new game using "dudes-on-a-map" with the order token mechanism in the following years. They have made StarCraft with expansion, and then Forbidden Stars, with prints sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no alternative. There is only war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this game is so popular the chance of a reskin should be high?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd enjoy an 8 player version for sure. Bring on the TI3 universe, or Terrinoth in space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Since this game is so popular the chance of a reskin should be high?

StarCraft was out in 2007 and FFG lost the license in 2010 or 2011. It was 4 or 5 more years before Forbidden Stars came out which was very much a sequel to StarCraft mechanics wise. I wouldn't expect anything soon. They have never done a direct reskin. A lot of stuff would be changed even if the core mechanics and gameplay style stayed the same. It would also probably have fewer components for the same price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.