Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently realized something about myself in regards to winning. Or, I've probably known it for a while, but just never thought about it.

I take pride in winning, but it has nothing to do with beating my opponents. Like I don't get any satisfaction out of beating them, I get satisfaction out of seeing my strategy, or lack thereof, of pay off. It's a sense of accomplishment for me.

I find this true, even if the game is competitive (I love Blood Rage and Kemet and Rum & Bones, and stuff like that).

What about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can agree with this. I'm even ok with losing as long as I didn't make any stupid blunders, and my loss was due to being outthought instead of outrolled (though I like rolling dice).

The unplugged face to face interaction with other gamers is more important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to win if it makes someone cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like to win against people who believe that I had no business winning. That's when it is the most satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
For me, winning is merely a nice bonus, giving some feedback that I played well. Most of my enjoyment from playing boardgames comes from the process of trying to solve the puzzle of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like making goofy things happen in games. I'm more satisfied with a near-win accomplished through an absurd strategy than I am with a very deliberate min/max victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

A guy at a con made someone rage quit in a GoT round recently, I told him he just fulfilled my dreams (apparently it was odd as it wasn't even that bad though).

I play opponents, not games. If I can 'see my strategy through', my opponents didn't really do their job. I prefer heavy tactical play, as it generally has greater levels of interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I just recently realized something about myself in regards to winning. Or, I've probably known it for a while, but just never thought about it.

I take pride in winning, but it has nothing to do with beating my opponents. Like I don't get any satisfaction out of beating them, I get satisfaction out of seeing my strategy, or lack thereof, of pay off. It's a sense of accomplishment for me.

I find this true, even if the game is competitive (I love Blood Rage and Kemet and Rum & Bones, and stuff like that).

What about you?

Pride in context.... as in, its just a win for a game.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore... sure it's nice, but it doesn't really mean much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
During casual play (especially young family) I try not to win by too large a margin. Yeah, I like winning (who doesn't) but I'd rather just have the opportunity to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kumbaya.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

I think your avatar helps us take humour from your posts that I can only assume is intended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
sense of accomplishment

It's already a thing!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice, but not everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Winning's ok, but really figuring out the strategy of the game is what I enjoy. I play a lot of solo & cooperative games, & I've noticed as soon as I get good enough to win a fair percentage of the time, I lose interest in that game & move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should have clarified, I don't care whether I win or lose. But when I do, I realized it's more of self satisfaction than satisfaction from beating other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
It's a sense of accomplishment for me.

Same here.
This means that when I lose but with a small margin and/or with a better score, I also have this sense of accomplishment (for example when I scored 99 at a 3 player game of Terra Mystica while the 2nd best score was 100).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about winning. I enjoy the social aspect and hanging out with friends. Most of the time when I play board games I am playing new games and learning them. It's too rare for my group to play a game multiple times for me to study it and learn strategies.

If I am getting competitive I will play either Settlers of Catan or Chess. I know these games and get to play them often. it just seems silly to me though to be competitive pushing pieces of card board around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
I have a particular set of skills. They mostly involve polling.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like doing well. If I did a good job, I'm generally happy. I do have some ego so winning also matters but not too much. I guess I'm happy as long as I win a reasonable amount of time. If I never won, that might make me grumpy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To me board games are social experiences first and foremost. I enjoy playing games regardless of my skill level, winning is cool, but pretty much everyone I play/have played with over the last few years have been better at most games due to them owning the game/playing it a lot more. I'm more used to co-op victories, losing outright, or being happy when an opponent I've supported via gameplay mechanics picked up the victory.

As long as I'm not losing ALL the time, and as long as alpha players don't constantly big up the skill gap against players who simply haven't played the game as much, it's all good by me.

As I am one of the people who plays board games cooperatively to avoid people feeling down due to losing consistently, and to neutralize alpha player concerns I've even dropped a lot of the non-coop games I'm good at. It really does help with making board games a lot more social.

Though I am glad to see when player's idea pay off, pride & gleeful grins are great in versus games when you see a long term plan or simple ultra-luck pay off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With my older brother as my most common opponent, I sometimes feel bad about winning.

But more liquor seems to smooth everything out playing anyone and with any result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Carl - when I win (and its not that often), I'm happy that I managed the game well enough to win, rather than the fact that I beat other people. More so if I actually had a strategy during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I think your avatar helps us take humour from your posts that I can only assume is intended!

David should have said it as:
Me dig to win if hit makes someone cry.

And Steve's response should read as:
To crush ya emenies, chek dem drivun before yous, an' to hear da lamentations hof dare bitches.

(using the Ali G translator)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My goal is to play the game well. If I feel I did that, I don't care that much if I won or lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the come-from-behind, sucker-punch, get-them-after-they-gloat victory. I'm perfectly willing to lose while trying to set such a victory up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.