Popular Tags: [View All]
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night, a few beers, snacks and 4 players up for a rumble, Runebound it is then! The game starts with Vic being trounced by a tough green challenge and with it, setting the tone for the first half of the game. Not one to shirk a challenge, Vic made several further attempts to beat the same card. Be it bravado, brawn, beer or sheer dumb stubbornness, he ploughed on, defeat after defeat, until he finally gave up the ghost and went on to easier pastures.

Kylie had a better time and pegged experience and gold from easier greens, although she was knocked back when she cheekily had a go at the card Vic had given up on. Lesley had a sporadic start. Win a couple, lose one, seemed to be the mantra. Isn't it odd that no-one ever tries to escape?

I was playing the take it steady game and made quite a bit of headway in the first hour avoiding defeats. I tend not to step up to yellows until I've received at least one power up to each of the main stats, and this time it stood me in good stead. I'd accrued a nice stash of gold, so it was time to hit the shops and look to the first round of yellow challenges.

Vic was not to be outdone, although he was behind in the experience stakes, he braved on to yellow challenges regardless. Now it was no surprise that he got hammered, but in all fairness, he was rolling the dice so bad he couldn't have rolled double figures if his manhood depended on it!

So a number of yellow challenges trailed Vic's footsteps, tempting the rest of us to peg easy experience points and gold. But that's when the Girls hit a brick wall. Reaching the 3rd hour, battle weary and tired, they didn't seem to be getting anywhere. They had powered up quite nicely, but a bad combination of allies, items and bad rolls left them struggling to step up to purples. Me, on the other hand, had kept a rather boring line and was still pegging greens and yellow. But in the process had powered up nicely, gained some kick ass allies and meaty weapons and armour, top stuff!

Midnight came and went, so it was time to step up the game if there was to be a resolution this fine Friday evening. I was still undefeated and finally dipped my toes into purple waters with some success. Lesley was getting battered by the purple challenges and was losing heart. Kylie was having a good game, but was not making much progress and Vic, well Vic. What can I say? Kudos for not storming off earlier, given his run, but he was still there and starting to show signs of making peace with the dice gods.

The girls dropped out in quick succession having noticed how powerful my character had got and how hard they were finding the purple challenges. I thought the game was conceded, and I suspect the girls thought so too, but Vic was determined to continue and at this point his luck took a complete U-turn. He was rolling dice like a man possessed and could not put a foot wrong. Having played a conservative game all night, I thought it was time I took some risks or Vic may take an unexpected victory.

Normally when I go for reds, I find the dark lord straight away and get battered, however, I chanced upon a dragon and scored an easy win. Vic was now beating purples and powering up nicely, although his armoury was still poor. The time was passing 1am so I persisted with reds and managed to find another dragon, victory was in my sights. Vic decided to make a move for reds himself, but the movement dice were not as favourable as his combat rolls.

I turned up another red challenge and fortunately turned up a third dragon and defeated it! I thought I'd played a nice game, but I got more jeers than cheers from the sidelines as they commended Vic for his hard fought comeback and proclaimed I'd took the easy path. Bet hey ho, I know the truth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer-enhanced stubborness! Ooh, nasty!

Nice report. How long did the game take you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasted Jones
United Kingdom
Rugeley
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting on for 5 hours! But lets just say, we weren't playing for speed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toasty wrote:

Kylie had a better time and pegged experience and gold from easier greens, although she was knocked back when she cheekily had a go at the card Vic had given up on. Lesley had a sporadic start. Win a couple, lose one, seemed to be the mantra. Isn't it odd that no-one ever tries to escape?

Yes, it is odd. They should've made escaping more worthwhile. But, house rules a-hoy: the best way to make it worth something is to reduce the death penalty during the escape attempt (suggested by Octavian in the Variants). If you die during escape attempt you only loose the money, not the best item. This way death penalties become less severe and the runaway leader problem is alleviated a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.