Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game and company Watchtower Games basically dead? Considering how slow the expansion pre-orders shipped and apparently no plan to offer them at retail, the near non-existent customer service from the company, and lack of the base game in any retail outlets, it seems Fallen will no longer be printed. Does that sound about right?

I was part of kickstarter and also pre-ordered and received the expansions, so have more than enough stuff to play with. The game is actually quite good, so it's unfortunate that it will not be re-printed and we're unlikely to see other games from this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty dead to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been assuming this, yeah. Plus I assume the way the expansions were handled seemed to generate a lot of animosity on these forums - not a kiss of death unto itself, though as the company seems to primarily focus on word of mouth among the gaming community anyway, I don't think they'd have that much goodwill anymore.

That said, I would probably totally embrace more stuff for this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Sherman
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy for trade/sell if anyone is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think it's pretty sad. They ran a great Kickstarter, produced a great (and unique) game, and built themselves a solid reputation. And then it just kind of inexplicably fell apart.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
And then it just kind of inexplicably fell apart.....

Maybe they should have named the game...

"Rising"

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it would be great to hear from the designer, Tom, but it doesn't look good. Although the Watchtower website is still up, their webstore isn't selling anything, and I watched as the supply of Fallen on Amazon slowly dwindled to zero. Unless they are secretly waiting for a re-print to arrive, I'd say that there is no chance that this game is still alive at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this surprises me. I backed the Kickstarter but didn't bother with the expansions. I've actually had A LOT of fun playing Fallen. Sad to see the company going under. Such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nonoyo Bidniss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It'd be a shame if it's all over but the amount of stuff in the box and the few expansions is probably more than I'll ever play through completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. L.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
It looks dead. It is a shame - this is a great game with a ton of potential. It's also too bad that we will be unlikely to see the promised multi-player expansion. I think that would be very fun if done correctly.

But as others have remarked, if one has the Kickstarter version of the game, the adventure packs, and the two expansions, there is so much content you will likely never play through it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if one has the Kickstarter version of the game, the adventure packs, and the two expansions
I luckily own all of these things.

It's a real shame that this game seems to be dead now, it had the potential to be a great hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Their failure of the expansion problems is what killed, it. A big start was how they did the KS, offering waaaaay to much exclusive stuff. This made the retail version trash.

Then the preordering over a year in advance for the expansions...

What they did isn't hard, someone could either A buy it from them and pump more stuff out, or B fans create custom content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony G
msg tools
mbmb
spalanzani wrote:
I assume the way the expansions were handled seemed to generate a lot of animosity

Did I miss something? Like many here I haven't even gotten around to opening The Cursed Sands box. Is the Exp bad or something?

For me at least the guys generated a TON of goodwill and professionalism from their KS campaign so they have an almost limitless supply of loyalty from myself.

I don't mean to challenge anyone here, but if WTG had some internal problems - which it looks like it did - I don't think it's fair for people to hate them for that. Especially since they were spectacular from the get-go.

Do you guys remember the relentless Fallen KS Updates? I haven't backed a lot of games, but I've seen some terrible handling before (The Agents comes to mind). WTG are by far the best, most professional campaign I've backed and I'm just sad to hear that they didn't become a commercial success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The expansions are great. I have played the cursed sands twice, going in story order. Necromancer is fun and the Mummy is also a great boss.

The expansions were handled like a wet bag of crap though in how it was all processed.

They had preorder for it, saying it would be released soon. Tons of people jumped in and bought it. Then the company went dark. It was a huge pain to get info. Tom gave info many every few months, and it was mostly just saying its delayed. Short end of it was people preordered it, and had to wait OVER a year for it.

It didn't help they had some sob story over how their place got broken into (but someone left the door unlocked) or some junk.

Best thing they could do is sell off rights. Good game, crapo company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, pretty much what Ian said. Pre-order for the expansions before a total lack of communication for a long time. Sure, looking back on it, everybody got their stuff or a refund (at least I think everybody did) but for many, many months it looked like people had just thrown money away. I think this thread is the best example: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1371605/update-coming-r...

I don't really know how I feel about the company at this point - I got the ks version, and I got the expansions, and at the rate I've been able to play this game so far, that's probably enough to last me the next half-century. But a lot of people bought the game at retail and were angry at the amount of ks exclusive content (as a backer, I have no problem with them releasing this exclusive content for general consumption, but a lot of other backers don't support this, and so a lot of gamers have another reason to avoid this game for lack of completion). The first expansions were not released in the best of lights. Overall, it looks like WTG doesn't have a particularly great future, unless another company were to buy the rights as has been suggested.

It's a great game, but surrounded by a lot of negativity because of these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a shame.

If anyone is selling a spare copy of the expansions let me know. I regret not picking them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Such a shame.

If anyone is selling a spare copy of the expansions let me know. I regret not picking them up.

I didn't get the game until the company was no more, but yeah, I kinda wish I could find them now too. I'm guessing they are very hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. L.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just saw an expansion bundle sell for US$199. Now there's one up for US$299 - I'll be interested to see if that sells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KickStartedGames
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what sucks... While most of you received your copies of the latest expansions (Cursed Sands, Depths of Gharr, Outlands bonus pack) I did NOT. I spent hundreds on these expansions for many copies and not a single one arrived to my doorstep. I have the correct shipping address and have numerous times emailed, facebook messaged, messaged through their website, even messaged to the original Fallen Kickstarter page, and last called them directly with a phone number from my paypal receipt to NO prevail. No communication has been received back. I have spend over 4 months contacting them and not even Tom has taken the time to return my messages.

It's a real bummer... If something did happen... I think I would be on top of the list to be notified on what is going on.

It's just really sad that I wasted my hard earn dollars for something I truly believed in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elkwynn wrote:
Here's what sucks... While most of you received your copies of the latest expansions (Cursed Sands, Depths of Gharr, Outlands bonus pack) I did NOT. I spent hundreds on these expansions for many copies and not a single one arrived to my doorstep. I have the correct shipping address and have numerous times emailed, facebook messaged, messaged through their website, even messaged to the original Fallen Kickstarter page, and last called them directly with a phone number from my paypal receipt to NO prevail. No communication has been received back. I have spend over 4 months contacting them and not even Tom has taken the time to return my messages.

It's a real bummer... If something did happen... I think I would be on top of the list to be notified on what is going on.

It's just really sad that I wasted my hard earn dollars for something I truly believed in...
It's a real bummer that even Tom seems to have stopped caring.

Such a shame. This game could have been an evergreen if a big publisher had released it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Yep, it is sad. Great game and was hoping for more. I never received my playmats. I emailed them over 20 times even through amazon and never got any reply. We had some back and forth between Tom on here but nothing ever came of it. Well, some did get their games so that is good.

All I can do is to make sure I never support any project Tom is associated with and to warn other that they might have their money stolen. It's a shame, a real shame. Fallen has fallen, at least for me it has. Unless he can get me my playmats or money back. Hope the $40 or what ever the cost is was worth it to Tom. Wouldn't of been for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kovaks Alpha
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a little strange because their Kickstarter campaign was quite efficient and professionally run. I have no stake in anything currently (was a Kickstarter backer who purchased 2 playmats and received everything), and I've also not been able to get in touch with Tom. I've emailed Tom here, on Facebook, and left a message on the official fallen boards - no responses received as of yet. Watchtower games really delivered with this game, and I definitely don't understand the radio silence.

FYI, it looks like Tom hasn't logged in to bgg in many months (May?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
How is it even remotely surprising that the game is dead? That's what happens when you blatantly flip off retail buyers with a glorified demo version. The game was dead the minute the Kickstarter ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
How is it even remotely surprising that the game is dead? That's what happens when you blatantly flip off retail buyers with a glorified demo version. The game was dead the minute the Kickstarter ended.

It's always unfortunate when a hobby game publisher goes out of business. Whatever mistakes they made, there was nothing malicious in their actions. At least others might learn something from this.

But to respond directly, I personally think the retail edition of the game was complete and had tons of replayability. Moreover, it was the kind of game for which the amount of potential expansion content was unlimited. If the game had succeeded, there could have been an additional 20 or 30 heroes and dungeon lords to choose from, and hundreds of additional items, story cards, etc. Eventually the amount of expansion material would have made the content in the KS version trivial in comparison. Alas, it looks like we'll never see any of that additional content now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:

While they definitely did go way overboard with Kickstarter exclusive content, saying that the retail version was a "glorified demo" is ridiculous. The retail version is a complete game with lots of content. If the Kickstarter exclusive expansions didn't exist, no one would be complaining that retail Fallen is not a complete game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.