Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game was a blast, so happy to have this game, if you're on the fence because of the art don't hesitate anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McC
United States
Central Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our rears handed to us in part C our first game (3-player) with little sense that there was any way we could have played better, leading to a general verdict of "not fun". Did you lower the difficulty for your first game, or do anything else that helped make that first good impression? I would love to give it another chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got walloped in my first couple games, but as I got more familiar with the system, I learned better deck-building (and other) strategies, which lead to more success and more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tough game, and a bit frustrating that they don't have an official easy, medium, hard, etc. difficulty levels, which many other co-ops have. I don't mind games that beat down on you, or have a low probability of you winning. But if you don't enjoy that then there's nothing wrong with using the suggestions at the back of the rulebook to make it easier (or any house rules).

From playing the game a few times, it feels like there is a big ramp up from the A through to C episodes. So if you don't get yourself set up well early on, then C becomes very very difficult. Also found that episodes were a bit easier playing through the second time as I knew what cards to expect, and so could tailor my deck-building a bit better. (Though looking through the episode decks before playing for first time would also let you prepare better.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I also think that playing the Serenity/Train Job setup can be especially tough on new players. That alliance cruiser can be brutal if it comes out early (especially once it hits the combat zone), as can the snipers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three players, our first game was a stumbling, oh we lost in eight turns and mainly because of the Alliance cruiser which was the second card, so a quick reset of the whole game, reshuffle of the top deck only and we started again, another loss with the first deck.
Third try we almost got through the second deck, some hard hitting ship strikes and we were out. But wow, loved it.
I love L Alien, Predator too, but my friends are not so keen. But in that very first game their comment was, "even though we lost, I like this more"
I'd like to play this more and get in some solo games, which means I can see this joining my game shelves, but having just bought this for a present, I'll wait a little before getting my own copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pegasus09 wrote:
It's a tough game, and a bit frustrating that they don't have an official easy, medium, hard, etc. difficulty levels, which many other co-ops have. I don't mind games that beat down on you, or have a low probability of you winning. But if you don't enjoy that then there's nothing wrong with using the suggestions at the back of the rulebook to make it easier (or any house rules).

From playing the game a few times, it feels like there is a big ramp up from the A through to C episodes. So if you don't get yourself set up well early on, then C becomes very very difficult. Also found that episodes were a bit easier playing through the second time as I knew what cards to expect, and so could tailor my deck-building a bit better. (Though looking through the episode decks before playing for first time would also let you prepare better.)

I just got my game, sorted it, and thumbed through the rules. I could have sworn there was ways to make it easier in the back of the rulebook. It's not classified as "Hard, Easy, etc" if that's what you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jt4jc wrote:
pegasus09 wrote:

I just got my game, sorted it, and thumbed through the rules. I could have sworn there was ways to make it easier in the back of the rulebook. It's not classified as "Hard, Easy, etc" if that's what you mean.

Yeah, there's ways of making it easier. But more like a pick and mix house-ruling approach. Rather than having specific rule-sets for "Easy", "Hard" etc, to work up through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
pegasus09 wrote:
Also found that episodes were a bit easier playing through the second time as I knew what cards to expect, and so could tailor my deck-building a bit better. (Though looking through the episode decks before playing for first time would also let you prepare better.)

That's what I referred to as meta-gaming in another thread. For instance, don't have more than one card revealed in Serenity (2).

Have Zoe, Mal and/or Jayne as Main Characters (MC) to make the Salvage-recovery go better in Serenity (1). They also help with Dealing With Niska in Train Job.

Have Kaylee to deal with Skyhook in Train Job.

Have Book as a MC in general. His Flaw is relatively minimal (beat someone you already beat), and neutralizes other Avatars' flaws which are often crippling.

All of this requires knowledge of the episode contents. Even if you don't pick-and-choose your Main Characters, knowing when to scan and when not to makes a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Using the "suggested main characters" listed in the rulebook for each episode set tends to get most (but not all) of the characters who get special benefits in the episodes. but they also include the characters that get special drawbacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yep, the recommended characters are kind of a wash. *heh*

We've found it best to:

a) Always take Book. His Talent for Flaw removal is amazing.

b) Almost always take Zoe. She's kind of an odd duck of a character. No Coordinate (even though she was in the military as part of a squad?), and she and Wash have no cards that interact with each other even though they're husband & wife. Say what? And her Talent is kinda selfish. Book and Simon can help anyone. Mal lets other people draw. Kaylee keeps everyone from blowing up. Wash sets up a square for the next player. Jayne takes out a dangerous opponent. Zoe... keeps herself alive.

It's like whoever wrote up her cards hadn't seen the series and their brief was "Warrior woman, fought with Mal in the war, has a shotgun." Or maybe she's supposed to be a post-Serenity-movie Zoe.

And Jayne has Coordinate when Zoe doesn't. Because he's a team player more than she is...?

But Zoe is an integral part of a number of episode objectives and event cards. Maybe it's a balance thing. She ain't that great elsewhere, so she's important to beat episodes.

c) Use at least two of Mal, Jayne, River, and Simon as Supporting Characters. They're the four out of nine characters who have Coordinate. And you really need Coordinate, particularly in Episode Cs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kind of playing devil's advocate here, and I could be wrong, but about Zoe's point B...

Yes, it's a little strange she doesn't interact with Wash or coordinate, but most of the time in the show she either follows or leads when Mal is not around and doesn't really coordinate much, and never gets captured or incapacitated, whereas Simon, Kaylee, Mal, Wash, River and Jayne are all captured at some point, and Book, Kaylee, Mal, all get incapacitated. Maybe that's why all her cards are about just surviving. Maybe it was luck? Maybe it was intentional? We'll probably never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Isn't a leader type kind of a coordinating type? That seems to be part of why Mal has Coordinate. Then again, I'm not sure if there's much significance to it but Mal's coordinate card is Brown/Intel (as is River's). Simon's is Green/Strength, and Jayne's is Black/Tech. There's no Blue Coordinate cards in Firefly, are there? So I'm not sure what (if any) relationship between color and coordinate status there is.

I'm not sure what Coordinate represents color- or character-wise, other than arbitrary card allocation. Jayne and River aren't really team players. Simon coordinates Combat (??) with Strength, and I suppose you could say he heals the fighter types, makes them stronger, and thus helps them fight. But it's a bit of a stretch.

If you're going to match up everything that broadly, you can probably match anything to anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
It does seem like some character decks really work well thematically, and others are a little off. There just isn't much coordinate in this game, which I wouldn't have expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.