Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 3 2players games but couldnt abort a single time.. any clues on how to abort and gain karmas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion timing is everything with an abort. The end of a scene is the easiest time, the start of a new scene can be the most difficult.

Let's say you are towards the end of scene 2. All your runners are low on health and you know in your gut there is no way you'll finish the game. You could allow the remaining enemy to critical a player and then Simply getting one player to survive is enough. Trying to push on into scene 3, you get taken out in turn 1 with most enemies left and suddenly you are trying to survive an ever building onslaught from 6, mostly hard, enemies.

I don't successfully abort often because honestly, all is often lost at that point anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup Iain is right, it's something you have to anticipate, used as a last resort will fail almost always. Also in two players it's more difficult to pull off because the second runner will get all the obstacles, with more runners they will be distributed better so the chance of at least one escaping is higher, I think.

For what is worth I play mainly with two runners and basically I ignore the abort rules, even if the mission is doomed I prefer going to the end trying to pull an impossible win (and usually fail spectacularly doing so )...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ian, indeed i failed at the beginning of third round when all 4 obstacles where against my runners, i'll try to abort at the end of round 2 if i'm in a bad position. But then, i thought i was in a good position at the end of round 2 and got punched in the face right at the start of round 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically with 2 players, getting through round 2 isn't difficult.

If you're consistently having difficulty with scene three, consider delaying your entry into it until both players are loaded up with cards. The downside of this is that the Crossfire Deck will intensify, and it has a knack for always being painful, as well as increasing the number of Hard obstacles you'll be facing in the future.

Ideally, as you enter a scene, you want two things to happen:
1/ Everyone has cards sufficient to make a serious dent in 1-2 obstacles.
2/ You don't immediately draw a new Crossfire along with all the new obstacles.

That second item is harder with only two people, but it means whomever went first is the ideal person to finish the scene, allow the special black market purchase and give the second player a play without dealing with a crossfire. Hopefully it's enough to knock out one of their obstacles, which reduces the incoming damage and puts the team in a better position.

Keep at it, the first victory is very rewarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play to win, most often, you won't be able to abort, the game is pretty ruthless. You have to play to abort, which is kinda silly. You can deliberately not finish your obstacles, get dmg but be sure that you will abort. Which, to me, renders the whole abort mechanism meaningless. Just add 1 karma for playing and be done with it. What's the point of playing to lose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes but that would be cheating? aborting is like winning when you don't have any Karma points. But i get your point, you can decide to get killed before second round when there is only one obstacle and that would be boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you set up your game for abort then its hardly cheating. You're operating within the framework of the game, just playing suboptimally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played two more games and successfully aborted in the third round
without having to plan for it. So its not impossible after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
If you set up your game for abort then its hardly cheating. You're operating within the framework of the game, just playing suboptimally.

And there is nothing better than getting rewarded for suboptimal play .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yancey Larochelle-Williams
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Frankly, my group generally doesn't play to abort. What typically happens is that we see that no matter what we do, we'll end up having someone go down, so we'll change our plan from saving cards and being judicious about having cards in hand for later rounds to just bursting a thing or two down.

Unfortunately, now that the whole group is in the 11-30 Karma range, whether we abort or not is meaningless unless we also add the "Danger Zone" difficulty upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
rattkin wrote:

And there is nothing better than getting rewarded for suboptimal play :).

Indeed. That's exactly the reason the abort "mechanism" is a backfire after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Simpson
msg tools
Novatheorem wrote:
Frankly, my group generally doesn't play to abort. What typically happens is that we see that no matter what we do, we'll end up having someone go down, so we'll change our plan from saving cards and being judicious about having cards in hand for later rounds to just bursting a thing or two down.

Unfortunately, now that the whole group is in the 11-30 Karma range, whether we abort or not is meaningless unless we also add the "Danger Zone" difficulty upgrade.

Successfully aborting always gives you 1 Karma even if you have a Karma penalty on the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you gain 1 karma for first 5 losses. But only if you completed first 2 scenes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I aborted successfully 2 out of 5 games, so i'll stick to the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skaeight wrote:
I aborted successfully 2 out of 5 games, so i'll stick to the rules

Are you finding that you (the player) are learning things when you wipe?

Are you finding that you (the player) are learning things when you abort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Faucher
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (the player) learn things, i just won my first game +3KP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skaeight wrote:
I (the player) learn things, i just won my first game +3KP

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.