Next War: Taiwan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Naval Control of At Sea Boxes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is not clear to me how At-Sea box contesting rolls work. In the example given in NWT GSR 5.2.2, it states that on GT1 the allies gained control of the Northern Approaches and Marianas. I am not sure why there was a contested sea roll for either of those boxes. NWT GSR 5.2.2 states:

If there are any Allied-controlled At Sea Boxes, roll for any PRC-controlled or Contested At Sea Boxes connected to them. If the Northern Approaches, Marianas, or Ryukyu Islands are PRC-controlled or Contested, always roll for them. In all cases, always roll for the Spratly Islands [and Taiwan] At Sea Box. If any At Sea Box becomes or remains PRC controlled, roll for any adjacent At Sea Boxes which were Allied-controlled prior to the Sea Control step.

I am not sure how any of these conditions would require a roll for the Northern Approaches or Marianas as unless Japan intervenes at Level 2+, the allies do not start with control of any At Sea boxes.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Navel Control of At Sea Boxes
I'm not sure what your question is, but you always roll for the Northern Approaches or Marianas if they are PRC-controlled or Contested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream // Benny Carter - The King // Charles McPherson - Manhattan Nocturne // Art Pepper - Smack Up // Dudu Pukwana - In The Townships
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret to navel control is strong abs. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow! Thanks for the quick response. Great game and can't wait for NWP.

Sorry if the question was not clear. From your response it sounds like you always roll for an at sea box if it is contested. If I read 5.2.2 it sounds like I only roll if the sea box is allied controlled?

Sorry if I am missing or overlooking something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is that you always roll for the Marianas, Northern Approaches, and Ryuku Islands if the PRC controls them or they are contested and you always roll for Spratlys and Taiwan Strait regardless. That way you never get into a completely static situation.

I'll be honest, I have an itemized checklist scribbled on a couple sheet of paper and it's the only way I can keep things straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You roll for the following At-Sea boxes:

1. Any that are contested or PRC controlled and adjacent to an Allied-controlled box.

2. Northern Approaches, Marianas, and Ryukyus if they are PRC controlled or contested and you haven't rolled for them yet this turn.

3. Spratlys Islands and Taiwan Strait if you haven't rolled for them yet this turn.

4. Any Allied controlled At-Sea box that are now neighboring PRC controlled At-Sea boxes.

I run those in order.

So an At-Sea box that is only contested and not adjacent to an allied controlled box and not one of the At-Sea box you must roll doesn't not get a roll, like say Philippine Sea or Central Approach.

It does mean that it's harder for the PRC to gain control once they have lost it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Alexandre. I was not reading the second point in your list correctly in the rule book. This makes sense now, In fact I cut and pasted your list into a document and will have it next to me when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.