Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are visiting Canada for a couple of weeks (25/09-7/10) as we are contemplating moving across the pond. As such, I'm interested in any regular clubs that meet up in the Toronto Area. We'll be in Toronto from the 25th to the 30th doing touristy stuff then we'll be heading out to sample the surrounding countryside, so ideally in the opening stretch.

We plan to make a trip to snakes and lattes, for a start. Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Dan and Kitty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you like to play?

There's TABS - that runs quarterly all day gaming and annual BreakoutCon 3 day in March

There are several completely different meetup groups that meet in various areas of the city and also north and northwest suburbs that I know of. Some lighter medium, some war games, some heavier, etc.

The cafes can have different game nights, and there's people who meet up at 401games and Boardgamebliss in their open gaming areas. Some also have organized okay especially of the collectible types like XWing and Armada.

I mostly play with friends at homes other than TABS. Went to a local Richmond Hill meetup (Richmond Hill Friends run) but the kids would rather play at home. Now. But we have a thriving Boardgame scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Croal
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

As a large games store I like Meeplemart http://www.meeplemart.com/. Google says it is a 20 minute walk from the _College_ location of Snakes and Lattes. It is near Chinatown and Kensington market. There are at least 2 comic book stores in Kensington market as well as a large toy store. I'm pretty sure there are some shops on Spadina that cater to anime fans, maybe even another game cafe. It has been a while since I took my kids there.
http://www.kensington-market.ca/Default.asp?id=home&l=1

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

There are a few you could check out on this thread;

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1497757/looking-board-game-...

Good luck.
Hope the trip goes well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mercurial cc
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there, if you are doing touristy things downtown near Eaton Centre, try to schedule it on a Wednesday to checkout the regular meetup at 401games. The first floor of the store has a great selection of board games, and they open up 2nd floor for open gaming every Wednesday. Even if you just show up, you can probably immediately pickup a play or two.

https://www.meetup.com/ToBoardGamers/events/233578788/

ToBoardGamers is one of the largest meetup group for central Toronto, run by SaraCV. There are many events throughout the week, but 401 is by far the largest and most diverse.

The meetup group has its own BGG guild too. If you post your availability there, people will probably try to arrange something for ya.

Other meetups:
Monthly wargaming: https://www.meetup.com/canucksamuck/
Lighter/family games, north of Toronto: https://www.meetup.com/GTA-Board-Game-Lovers/
Quarterly gaming convention: tabsonline.net

Welcome to Toronto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely agree with above posters. My two choices for things to see would be:

Check out Toronto Boardgamers (https://www.meetup.com/ToBoardGamers/)
All the events I've been to from that huge group have been very welcoming and friendly.

And check out 401 Games, a downtown game store!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick C
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Props to my chillrons.
badge
mb
First of all, awesome avatar (...username/name). Dan! ... Dan! ... ... Dan! Great show.

+1 to all store mentions above. They are all great. If you find yourself at Boardgamebliss definitely make sure you check out the game stacks in the back. It looks like you can't, but they'll let you. Otherwise it's somewhat underwhelming for such a long hike into Scarborough (but for god's sake don't actually hike there ... transit or car). Awesome selection, and my favourite of the lot. They have odd hours though so check the website before you go.

If the part of non-TO you're checking out is east of the city in Durham Region then there's a decent sized meetup called Whitby Cards and Board Games. I've never been, but it's fairly well attended from what I can tell.

If you want any non-gaming recos definitely say so as well.

Have a great trip!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in escape rooms, there are loads of them all throughout the city.

If you are into X-wing miniatures, there are quite a few meet-ups. On Tuesdays the play on the east end of the city (Face to Face Games, east on the east/west subway line) on Wednesday at 401 Games downtown, and on Friday at Dueling Grounds (west on the east/west subway line).

Many of the stores also have board game nights, so you would need to check with each store for their night.
The store close to me (in the northern part of the city) is Hairy Tarantula, and they have board game night on Wednesday (but I have not been to it ever, since that night doesn't work for me).

There are also several other board game cafe's popping up around the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody.

Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated. I'll probably head down to 401 games on Wednesday as that works well for us.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how did you like it in Toronto?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great time, thanks for asking. We ended up going to 401games as that scheduled well. We visited a whole load of stuff in Toronto and Niagara and then a really peaceful few days at sauble beach. Just what we were after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Drummond
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
We had a great time, thanks for asking. We ended up going to 401games as that scheduled well. We visited a whole load of stuff in Toronto and Niagara and then a really peaceful few days at sauble beach. Just what we were after.

Had a great time playing with you at 401. Hope you come back if you do end up moving to the area :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely missed this. I would have invited you to dinner as you probably drove quite near me getting to Sauble. Next time you're this way, geek mail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.