Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Islebound» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions on Event cards and visiting Stratic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, had my first play through and two questions popped up.

Do I have to visit an island as an action before I can complete an Event on that island ? I played it so you didn't have to visit the island, you could just land on the island and complete the event as a free action without the need to visit.

Each round I can buy one building as a free action. If I visit Stratic and build a building with supplies as that islands action, can I also buy a building as a free action during the same turn ? I would be building as an action and buying as a free action.

Thanks guys
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1.You first have to move, then you can do either a free action or regular action, it does not matter which order.

2. Yes, you can visit stratic, use supplies to build a building and then buy as many buildings are you like as a free action.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the rules again, you don't have to visit the island to perform free actions there, especially since you can perform the actions (free and main) in any order. - (for example, the only islands you can reach require exhausting a crew and you have no crew left, and you can't make it to an island you own, so you're limited to just moving and doing nothing, or moving and buying a building as a free action. If an active Quest event was present in the island space you moved to, you could do it without visiting).

From the rulebook
------------------------
Free Action: Event
A player may complete one or more active events
in the region where their ship is located.
------------------------

Last time my group played, we had been assuming that you could not do the quest events unless you visited the island.

It made certain quest events more strategic like those on Farwold (if the brag events there are going to help another player much more than they would help you, then it made going to Farwold to perform a Quest event much less appealing). So, as an optional/house rule, it might be wroth keeping this way, or may not. Would have to play a few times each way to see.

Stratic - from the rules, I don't see a problem with visiting Stratic to use its Visit action (build a building with materials) then as a free action buy a building (with money). Nothing in the rules seems to prohibit that.

Also, nothing in the rules seem to prohibit buying multiple buildings as multiple free actions, or if each free action should be limited to once per turn.

------------------------
ACTIONS
After moving, the player may perform ONE action
and any number of free actions. He may perform
the action and free actions in any order. When
the player has finished taking his action/free actions,
he declares that his turn is over.
------------------------

Performing multiple Quest free actions (if there are multiple quest cards for the same location, or if one quest is finished and the next revealed one happens to be at the same location) seems to be also allowed.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

I'm not so sure you can buy multiple buildings though. You can choose one action and any number of free actions. You have two free actions to choose from, you can choose to do one or both of those actions on a turn. So you can do any number of the two free actions, be it one of them or both, but not multiples of each free action. That's how I interpreted it but I could be wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you search the forums, this has been asked and it has been answered that you can buy as many as you have money/books to buy.

And to do an event, I'm pretty sure you have to go to the town that the event token is in to do it. There have been instances when one town has both event tokens in it, which I believe is what the rules are referring to, that you can do both in that region.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
ParisPink wrote:
If you search the forums, this has been asked and it has been answered that you can buy as many as you have money/books to buy.

And to do an event, I'm pretty sure you have to go to the town that the event token is in to do it. There have been instances when one town has both event tokens in it, which I believe is what the rules are referring to, that you can do both in that region.


You do not have to visit a town to resolve an event. For example, you could move to an island, search for treasure to get money, and then resolve the event(s) there, without having to spend money/exhaust worker to visit the town.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
ParisPink wrote:
If you search the forums, this has been asked and it has been answered that you can buy as many as you have money/books to buy.

And to do an event, I'm pretty sure you have to go to the town that the event token is in to do it. There have been instances when one town has both event tokens in it, which I believe is what the rules are referring to, that you can do both in that region.


You do not have to visit a town to resolve an event. For example, you could move to an island, search for treasure to get money, and then resolve the event(s) there, without having to spend money/exhaust worker to visit the town.


I mis-understood the person above. I thought he meant you did not have to go to the town to do the event. That you could do it at any town. I know you do not have to 'visit/perform the action' at a town after you move to it. Which is why my above quote says "go to the town" not "visit the town".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cal64 wrote:
Thanks

I'm not so sure you can buy multiple buildings though. You can choose one action and any number of free actions. You have two free actions to choose from, you can choose to do one or both of those actions on a turn. So you can do any number of the two free actions, be it one of them or both, but not multiples of each free action. That's how I interpreted it but I could be wrong.


To quote the Designer, you can buy as many buildings in one turn as you wish. It's a good way to do a quick end to the game if you know you are in the lead or if someone is about to gain a lot of points/money from attacking/allying with a town.

mechanicalfish wrote:
mgabbert wrote:
1. We played last night that you could only buy one building per turn, but I see from another thread that we were wrong and that you can buy more than one building per turn, if you have enough money. However, we also played that you could build a building (at Stratic) and buy a building as a free action on the same turn. I assume this is correct, yes? Also, if you have enough fish/lumber, can you build more than one building per visit to Stratic?

2. After boasting at Farwold, we had two players who got enough Reputation to score a 7-pointer and roll over. The top token included 3 coins as a bonus, while the next one included two Influence cubes. The Influence track was full at the time, making that 7-pointer less valuable, so there was some discussion as to who should go first in moving their Reputation marker. How should the order be determined? (We had the person whose turn it was go first, then went around the table in turn order.)

3. Do injured crewmembers count against final scoring at all? We had a couple of players mount "suicide attacks" in the final round, because unless you have certain buildings, unused pirates and sea serpents aren't worth anything and you can get +4 or +5 by injuring an expanded crew, so it makes sense to risk attacking strong, high value targets in the final round to maximize the plunder (coins = VP!). Is this correct?

4. Do you have to Visit an island to handle the Event taking place there or is moving there and Hunting for Treasure enough? We played the latter.


1. You can buy as many buildings as you want on your turn, but you can only build one building at Stratic per visit. You could buy and build at Stratic.

2.It is always the active player first, followed by other players in clockwise order.

3. No, they do not count against final scoring. Yes, you can mount an "all out" attack with no punishment.

4. No, you don't have to visit. You can hunt for treasure and complete the event in the same turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, especially for the quote ParisianDreams. Looking forward to my next game now that the rules have been cleared up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.