Finland
Espoo
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I have new and old core set and i want to expand my collection
so my question is:

If i buy Millennium Falcon & Tie Phanton + Tie Defender do you guys think that my game is balanced or do you have any ideas that what i should do?

Thanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Mind you that I stopped playing the game when the tractor beam was released because No!

Buy the ships that look cool to you and play them. That's the best way to learn. That being said, the Phantom is one of the hardest ships in the game to learn to play correctly because it is a glass canon that requires experienced handling. You might find it un-fun.

Falcon is a wonderful ship.

The problem with the game in its current state is the number of things you don't want to own that you 'need' to be 'competitive.' (Those terms vary by person, I'm not judging.)

Overall, Empire is the weakest faction for the newbie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bare in mind I also just started playing this game.
I have been told by many exp players that the Rebels are easier to learn for a newbie b/c to match the Rebels, you'd need 2X as many Empire ships.

Or so I'm told....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been casually playing this game for a year. I have most of the expansions. If I was back being a poor college student or the like, I could have a lot of fun with just the core, a y-wing, and an advanced TIE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agotha wrote:
Hi!

I have new and old core set and i want to expand my collection
so my question is:

If i buy Millennium Falcon & Tie Phanton + Tie Defender do you guys think that my game is balanced or do you have any ideas that what i should do?

Thanks?

What is your goal? To become competitive? To play casual games? Are you planning on staying with Rebels and Empire or are you intending to add Scum and Villainy?

Right now, you have two TIE's, two TIE/FO's an old school X-wing and a new one. TIE swarms are still a thing, so you could buy another TIE and/or TIE/FO plus an additional T-70 X-Wing and T-65 X-wing which gives you more pilot choices plus you'd have 4 different ship dials to learn.

The TIE Defender is overpriced and the TIE Phantom is tricky to learn. I'd recommend finding Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces. The Rebel pack would give you a B-Wing and A-Wing with good pilots and the Imperial would give you TIE Interceptors which are fun to fly and has the redoubtable Soontir Fel. Wouldn't make you current in the meta but, it's a good selection to learn the game and give you and a friend some options.

The Falcon is a powerful ship and adds the 360 turret to your mix. If you want balance, you need a similar counter on the Imperial side so you might want a Decimator to match.

The important thing is not to flood yourself with a lot more ships and upgrades. Learn to use a small collection of ships first and then add to suit your interest. If you go hunting for pick up games, explain you are new and have only casual lists. The community is generally pretty good and many players will run a more casual list to teach newer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, first figure out what your goal is. Are you just picking ships that look cool or what's the plan?

I would suggest getting Imperial Veterans perhaps and get a more efficient TIE Defender along with a TIE Bomber, then leave the TIE Phantom for later. Then you should be able to balance things pretty well by managing your upgrades or maybe dropping a single TIE Fighter.

What you should be doing is making balances forces to a point total, rather than just "everything vs. everything". It's not really a question that makes sense to ask if two groups of ships are balanced because their point costs could vary wildly depending on what upgrades they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy it all. Get it over with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are just playing casually then just get what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.