$20.00
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to 2.0, so I don't have any experience with GoT drafting.

On thronesdb, there are currently 21 Valyrian Draft Set cards (agendas, plots, neutrals, and one card for each faction). Is that all we can expect to see?

I know that there are Draft Starter sets that have a pre-determined number of about 20 cards (all neutrals, plots, banners). You only buy this once.

Then there are 50-card Draft Packs. These packs seem to include some of the "Draft format only" cards, but also mostly various cards from the other sets released so far (or soon)? From watching a YouTube video, it seems like there are cards from both Deluxe Sets and both cycles so far... do we know if cards from the Core Set will be included, too?

So I think my main question is -- if you plan on doing a number of these drafts, does it make sense to not purchase some of the chapter packs, since you'll end up getting a bit from drafting? Or, conversely, if you plan on doing in-house drafting (e.g., with a cube that attempts to re-create the Valyrian Draft pool), would you have any reason to buy the Valyrian Draft Packs, other than to obtain those very few "draft format only" cards? I assume the card-backs are identical to main cards, so except for the "draft format only," all cards can be incorporated into your standard decks?

Do we have any idea when the draft set will be released?

I haven't seen any other conversations about this, so I thought I'd see what people know.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Starter has some of the draft-only cards, as well as some regular cards (plots and economy).

Draft packs have cards from the core set, two cycles, and two deluxes, plus draft format only cards. Here's an incomplete list of cards that have been confirmed to be present in the draft packs: Scantrell's spreadsheet.

Draft packs are in no way intended as an alternative or a supplement to the normal distripution model. There is no sense in buying draft packs INSTEAD of chapter packs and deluxes. Not all cards are present in the draft sets, you'll end up chasing rares and spending a fortune, plus the draft cards themselves are of lower quality, visibly different, and require the use of opaque sleeves (draft cards and promos are printed in FFG's in-house facility, unlike chapter packs which are printed in China).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read that at least some of the new cards in the draft set will appear in future expansions.

Who is to say they won't eventually release a proper draft pack with official rules for a draft format and all new cards, so that you can make up a draft pool with those and suggested cards from the earlier releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you actually buy the Valyrian draft pack? Was'nt it just for Tournament entrants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome -- thanks for the replies! And thanks for the spreadsheet file.

I guess I don't know if the draft pack will be available for the public to purchase. I assumed it would eventually become so (like in first edition), but who knows, huh?

It does seem like it would make the most sense to build a draft pool with leftover cards (maybe purchase an extra core or two)... and then just buying the starters, when/if they become available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HauntingQuestions wrote:

I guess I don't know if the draft pack will be available for the public to purchase. I assumed it would eventually become so (like in first edition), but who knows, huh?

I never got the feeling that people were into the drafting in 1.0. Were they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.