Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Do you know why manhole covers (and, by extention manholes) are round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) A round manhole cover has less area than a square of the same size, and it therefore weighs less. Considering your round cover weighs a lot on its own, you'll be glad for whatever extra weight that you have to avoid lifting.

2) More importantly, if you rotate a square cover-- you can prove this using simple geometry (Pythagoras)-- then the distance from corner to corner (across the center) of the slightly smaller square "hole" is still greater than the length of each of the sides of the square.
If you move things incorrectly, and your (heavier) square manhole cover is going to fall through the hole, someone has to bring it up again.

A round cover cannot fall through a slightly smaller round hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
1) A round manhole cover has less area than a square of the same size, and it therefore weighs less. Considering your round cover weighs a lot on its own, you'll be glad for whatever extra weight that you have to avoid lifting.

2) More importantly, if you rotate a square cover-- you can prove this using simple geometry (Pythagoras)-- then the distance from corner to corner (across the center) of the slightly smaller square "hole" is still greater than the length of each of the sides of the square.
If you move things incorrectly, and your (heavier) square manhole cover is going to fall through the hole, someone has to bring it up again.

Although fascinating, this is not quite true... The original designs under consideration were square and triangle, but they couldn't decide, so they flipped a coin.

As the coin was tumbling in its parabola, the lead engineer grabbed it out of the air and said, "Oh! Never mind, got it." He grabbed the coin and left to hurriedly redesign the cover.

The project was three weeks late, but most customers were pretty happy with the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Neither can a triangle, which means the most important reason is that round covers are easier to roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the UK we have a mix.
About half round, and half triangle.

I assumed it's so they can't fall in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
In the UK we have a mix.

I have seen square ones too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Manvel
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Because alligators are square in cross-section and can't fit through a round hole--and obviously you wouldn't want them crawling up out of the sewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:
In the UK we have a mix.

I have seen square ones too.

I've seen the square ones too, but they're usually 2 triangles. Where I am anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By definition a man hole is round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does the cover have to be the same shape as the hole? A square cover over a round hole isn't going to fall in either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Too long has the manhole cover world been dominated by round covers (and also square covers in Britain). Maybe there should be more diversity.

Of course
I'm going to say hexagonal covers. Six sides best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
By definition a man hole is round

challenge accepted...

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

"You're gonna need a bigger manhole cover"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
MABBY wrote:
2)

Neither can a triangle, which means the most important reason is that round covers are easier to roll.

If the three sides of a triangular hole are more than 90% of the length of the sides of the cover, the cover could fall through the hole. I was surprised to find images of such manholes anyway. If the sides are bowed out so that the distance to the opposite vertex is constant, which is called a Reuleaux triangle, then it cannot fall through. Apparently it also works if the sides are bowed in.

This could be done with any odd number N of points, not just 3, although the higher the value of N, the more the object looks like a circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My toilet seat is round, but I keep falling in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Too long has the manhole cover world been dominated by round covers (and also square covers in Britain). Maybe there should be more diversity.

Of course
I'm going to say hexagonal covers. Six sides best.

I thought you were going to suggest the more PC, "Personhole", and "Personhole cover".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I have clearly been away from chit chat for too long. I am crying with laughter. My husband is very happy with you all right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
wow ONE 'shape' not in 'consideration' was that:

robot ~itsblankablanktrapezoid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called a manhole cover and I've never seen a man with a square belly! It makes sense that if you want to make something a man can fit into, you'd make it just slightly larger than belly sized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MABBY wrote:
I thought you were going to suggest the more PC, "Personhole", and "Personhole cover".
Where WERE this OTHER "supposed"-'gender person' whence the MAN "descended unto" there? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
GROGnads wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Where WERE this OTHER "supposed"-'gender person' whence the MAN "descended unto" there? shake

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've played many games of Mr. Jack and I just sort of assume they're all hexagonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to talk about gender equality and the place of the ladyhole in society, but I think it would send this thread straight to RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
None of this is true. The real reason they're round is because they're easier to throw. Have you ever tried throwing a square manhole cover? Impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
None of this is true. The real reason they're round is because they're easier to throw. Have you ever tried throwing a square manhole cover? Impossible.

TMNT reference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I'd like to talk about gender equality and the place of the ladyhole in society, but I think it would send this thread straight to RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.