Subject: Snookering vs Playing Safe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sections for snookering an opponent and playing safe are very similar but they also have some differences. The most notable is that if you miss playing safe, you are penalized for committing a foul. Missing a snooker attempt yields no such penalty. Is this intentional?

Here is the bit I am struggling with however. If I have a pot on, I can choose to instead attempt to snooker my opponent. So far so good.

If there isn't a pot on (because of insufficient chalck and/or power), then I cannot choose to make a snooker attempt. Instead I must play safe. Of course the chosen shot may still result in a snooker but if I miss it is a foul. Ok , I get that.

But what if I am simply not willing to commit the chalck and/or power to the shot? And there isn't a way to play a snooker? The rules suggest I am forced to commit the chalck and/or power, because only if I am unwilling to attempt a pot can I play safe. Is this right or am I applying the rules as written to strict?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the contest is over I will updating the rules so your questions are invaluable.

NoDDs wrote:
if you miss playing safe, you are penalized for committing a foul. Missing a snooker attempt yields no such penalty. Is this intentional?
My original thinking was that, if you miss when playing safe, you actually miss the object ball and therefore you foul. Whereas if you miss a snooker attempt you still hit the object ball but just don't manage to lay a snooker - so no foul (rather like in the real game). I think 'playing safe' is possibly a misleading term as you generally leave your opponent a shot, so maybe I need to think of a more appropriate phrase.

Quote:
But what if I am simply not willing to commit the chalck and/or power to the shot? And there isn't a way to play a snooker? The rules suggest I am forced to commit the chalck and/or power, because only if I am unwilling to attempt a pot can I play safe. Is this right or am I applying the rules as written to strict?
I think you should have a choice on what shot you take and not be forced to use Cue power/Chalk if you don't want to.
So maybe I should rephrase the start of rule 13 to:
If you are unable to attempt a pot (due to not having enough Chalk or
the Shot Difficulty being too high) then
Yyou may also elect to simply play the Cue ball against the Object ball without trying to pot it.

And similarly for Rule 19 (Using Spin to snooker an opponent).

Let me know what you think to this revision? Does it make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the inherent risk of playing safe. Giving points to the opponent can make for a nice swing in the match.

As you said, it should be a choice if a player tries to pot, snooker or play safe. So a player facing a difficult (DF 6) and expensive (in chalck and/or power) could choose to play an easy safety shot.

The change you made allows for that and it makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a little situation in my last game. There were just 3 balls left and pink was snookering blue.

According to the rules I could attempt a snooker. By using the cushion I could even avoid having to use chalck. Whether I missed or succeeded, the snooker would be maintained, with no risk for commiting a foul other than by rolling 11.

This felt wrong. I think I should be forced to be playing safe where missing the shot would result in a foul. This is how I played.

I think the rules should be edited as such. When snookered on the object ball and you do not intent to pot the object ball then you are playing safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDDs wrote:
I had a little situation in my last game. There were just 3 balls left and pink was snookering blue.

According to the rules I could attempt a snooker. By using the cushion I could even avoid having to use chalck. Whether I missed or succeeded, the snooker would be maintained, with no risk for commiting a foul other than by rolling 11.

This felt wrong. I think I should be forced to be playing safe where missing the shot would result in a foul. This is how I played.

I think the rules should be edited as such. When snookered on the object ball and you do not intent to pot the object ball then you are playing safe.

I'm just updating the rules in order to upload to the game page. I've added in the 'Snookering your opponent' section the following:

Note that, if your shot was unsuccessful, your opponent cannot then be snookered. For example, you fail in an attempt to get out of a snooker and, by doing so, leave your opponent in the same, snookered, position.
In this case, your opponent simply takes his turn as normal.

This avoids the situation whereby your failure to get out of a snooker leaves the opponent in a snooker, at no cost to yourself. In this case the opponent simply rolls as normal (rather than being deemed to be in a snooker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

I like your suggestion. It would have handled my situation nicely.

I thought about whether there is a merit in moving balls around to reflect your opponent not being snookered (e.g. exchange cue ball and snookering all) but I don't think there is any.

Should your suggestion apply equally to playing safe and/or attempting a pot? If so, then the rule you propose should be in the section Opponent's turn. If it applies to attempting a snooker exclusively, then I suggest changing "if your shot" to "if your attempt at a snooker" to avoid this rule being taken as a general rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.