$20.00
Pe Dro
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

This is one of my first posts asking for rule clarification and hope that my post is clear and not confusing.

I just received my Kickstarter Pledge Copy on Friday and started playing the game solo so it'll be easier to teach my wife and our friends later. So far I am loving the game mechanics and the artwork. I really appreciate the strategy involved and the artwork is quite unique and can easily draw you into the Dreamwell world.

My question though is about the Abilities from playing a Friend Card.

What is the difference between the following two abilities?

1) Perform a move action
2) Each turn perform a move action for free

Perhaps I may have missed it somewhere in the rule book, but for Ability 1), is this ability a one-time use ability, and can only be used during the turn that you "Played" this card? If so, then I understand that Ability 2) allows you to use the "move action" once every time your turn comes around.

Also, aren't all abilities considered "for free" and separate from the three actions you're allowed per turn? I ask because the addition of "for free" on Ability 2) makes me wonder if Ability 1) is not for free.

Thank you, everyone, in advance for your help and comments.

Have a great weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hartman
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each turn you allowed perform 3 actions, which could be move actions. This allows you one additional move action 'for free'. Essentially its an extra action that can only be used to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pe Dro
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply and confirming that the Abilities in the example above offer the additional move action "for free".

I guess I was wondering if it was necessary to state "for free" on the card, when it is already implied that actions offered by abilities are "for free" whether it is to move, to draw a card, etc. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, lol. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the abilities happen as soon as you play them and only once. The handful of effects that happen every turn include the "for free" text to emphasize that it is not forcing you to take an action.

Since the default setting on abilities is "Play this card, get this ability immediately and once," we worded the repeated abilities in a way that was, hopefully, more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And number

2) - Each turn perform a move action for free;

(or any "for free" bonus for that matter), you only have access to until you find your next friend, and then you get the bonus on that next friend card; correct?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. Once you play another card, you lose any ability from the previous card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pe Dro
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the clarification! I did miss the "get this ability immediately and once" but your posts in this thread have cleared it all up for me.

I really enjoyed the game and am excited to share it with my family and friends! Thank you for creating it.

Have a great day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad you are enjoying it. I hope your family and friends love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.