Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jersey Milk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hi folks, strategy question on Salonika... From someone who is still a beginner, but not a total noob.

In a game last night I played into Salonika mostly just to see what would happen. Bulgaria had recently joined the war and was on its way north to help exterminate the Serbs, so I figured it would be helpful to check them by threatening Sofia. I sent 2 British Corps to do the job, on the thinking that the French were too weak, and a really couldn't afford to send 3. Oh and Turkey wasn't in the war, FWIW.

However! Once I got there I realized that I couldn't move one of my Corps off of Salonika itself, because I would be put OOS instantly by a Bulgarian Corps. Uh oh! I thus sent 1 Corps north, and they did do some damage, but it was mostly just a sideshow and not the threat I had planned. My questions then...

I took from that that 3 corps are necessary here; one as a rearguard, two as an attacking force (maybe leave a French one behind if short on British Corps?). How do more experienced players play Salonika? I also thought that it's perhaps worth doing, even if you get the original corps killed, if only to have somewhere to rebuild Serbian forces? Thoughts? I'm not looking for definite rules or anything, just your general strategic thoughts on Salonika, and when you like to play it / what you do with it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It's been awhile since I played this but to get the ball rolling...I like to hold it as a threat until I get Army of the Orient. Then I cause a distraction elsewhere before quickly play Salonika and AOO. For that reason I like sending French corps there so activation costs less. AOO with some corps can be a real headache for the CP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jersey Milk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Great answer! So Salonika dumps 2 corps in and then follow it up with the AoO to create real trouble. I like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Angel Gil
Spain
Gijon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that Serbian armies can trace supply there and can be rebuild in Salonika, so don't need to wait untyl AoO to make trouple for the CP, you can do just from the begining! : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salonika is never a war winner.

But in combination with FR Orient army it could pin down some german or austrian armies which were needed somewhere else.

As allies it could be a strategy to open as much fronts as possible to weaken the germans and austrians: Balkan, Italy, France, Russia, Romania - hold the fronts as long as possible to avoid "free" german armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Good
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have actually managed to win the war using Salonika once by doing just what Mark J says "hold until AoO comes up". I then stalemated Bulgaria using the Romanian threat and advanced AoO on Constantinople (taking the capital and gaining the final VP).

Pip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, strategy question on Salonika... From someone who is still a beginner, but not a total noob.

Quote:
In a game last night I played into Salonika mostly just to see what would happen. Bulgaria had recently joined the war and was on its way north to help exterminate the Serbs, so I figured it would be helpful to check them by threatening Sofia. I sent 2 British Corps to do the job, on the thinking that the French were too weak, and a really couldn't afford to send 3. Oh and Turkey wasn't in the war, FWIW.

Turkey automatically enters the war when the CP war status reaches Limited War so it is not possible for Bulgaria to be in the war but not Turkey

Quote:
However! Once I got there I realized that I couldn't move one of my Corps off of Salonika itself, because I would be put OOS instantly by a Bulgarian Corps. Uh oh! I thus sent 1 Corps north, and they did do some damage, but it was mostly just a sideshow and not the threat I had planned. My questions then...

I took from that that 3 corps are necessary here; one as a rearguard, two as an attacking force (maybe leave a French one behind if short on British Corps?). How do more experienced players play Salonika? I also thought that it's perhaps worth doing, even if you get the original corps killed, if only to have somewhere to rebuild Serbian forces? Thoughts? I'm not looking for definite rules or anything, just your general strategic thoughts on Salonika, and when you like to play it / what you do with it.

Generally speaking the AP wants as many fronts open and active as possible and the CP wants to close things down. Having Italians crossing over into the Balkans, supporting BR or FR corps and Serb armies can create a real headache for the CP. It can eat up a lot of OPs and units to keep the AP at bay, and that is fewer OPs and units available to wipe out RU. It is quite possible to win by using Salonika to push up to Sofia and cut off GE corps from the NE map and then putting pressure on TU, which cannot really stand alone against RU pushing from the Caucasus, BR pushing from Palestine and Gallipoli, and FR pushing with Army of the Orient from the Balkans, supported by FR corps. This is not that uncommon a way to win, especially if GE has pulled back on the Western Front. Stacks of FR armies can move to the Italian front, and Italian armies can move to the Balkan front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. I need 1 WS (usually not the case)
2. Serbs are dead and I have allied RPs in reserve
Otherwise wait for Greece as it better for deck culling and does same & more (usually SR of corps is not the effect I´m waiting for ; its rebuilding serb armies)

Edit: if its non-GoA game (rare nowdays as many house rules prevent it), then you habe to play for WS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jersey Milk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Ted - Woops! I just KNEW I screwed something up. Turkey. Yeah. I just won't tell the CP player about that one...

But on the strategy side, great answer! Many thanks. I think that's the fully fleshed out version of what I was half-baked thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Duffy

Virginia
msg tools
If you play it, suggest first playing an RP card that has an allied RP (4/4 or better). Then play Solonika on your last action round of the turn. You can then build a Serb army with your replacement point before the CP can react, and assuming you place two British Corps, you will then have a force of 5A, which should be good enough to hold off the Bulgarians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Paschal
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saddamonmytube wrote:
Uh oh! I thus sent 1 Corps north, and they did do some damage, but it was mostly just a sideshow and not the threat I had planned.

Haha, I bet that's what the real generals said during the war!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apan Arne
msg tools
PoG strategy essentially boils down to this: once GE commits to knocking russia out of the war, you hit them HARD everywhere to break them, on as many fronts as possible. That means FR/BR slugfest and threatening turkey could work aswell, but putting max pressure on GE replacements is probably better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.