Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I like the game, but I feel that collecting and selling good is not something important enough.
Do you often make a lot of points by selling goods?
How many time do you do it during the game? (Personally I'd may be once or twice)
Do you do it for big sells and points? Or even if it's small, for gold?
I feel like I overlooked something...
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth a lot more with 4 players instead of 2. With 2, it's not usually a focus unless I get the yellow tiles that give bonuses from it, but with 3 or 4 players it's worth more so I tend to ship more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It varies depending on the number of people in the game (which determines the value of each goods tile sold) and the Knowledge tiles that you might acquire (two of which add points value to your sold goods pile, and a couple more increase the quantity and versatility of silverlings).

The more you play, and with differing numbers of players, the more you will understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At two points per tile, shipping can bring you some points. But look at knowledge tiles 3, 4, 15 and 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it for the timing of getting a silver to buy a building, often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I only played it two players, that might be the reason.
Why exactly the value changes with more players? I guess it's even more difficult to have some, so even less points at the end, and less valuable shipping?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know...don't overlook its importance even in the two player game. I've used it quite effectively to get money to buy tiles instead of getting ones that may be inferior that my dice give me access to. I haven't played a four player game I'll admit but it seems many are missing the usuefulness of selling. Plus as mentioned certain knowledge tiles can make it a great strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixelman wrote:
I don't know...don't overlook its importance even in the two player game. I've used it quite effectively to get money to buy tiles instead of getting ones that may be inferior that my dice give me access to. I haven't played a four player game I'll admit but it seems many are missing the usuefulness of selling. Plus as mentioned certain knowledge tiles can make it a great strategy.

This is very true; when you need that one extra Silverling to buy a black market tile, this is usually the most viable way of getting it (getting just the right grey building relies on the right tile being available AND having the right dice roll to pick it up). Certainly useful.

And if you ship *enough*, then it really can gain you a lot of points, even in a 2-player game. I've seen some players ship 15 or more tiles in a single game, which is a 30-point swing for 2 players, which is not to be sniffed at (not to mention the silverlings too, which are worth points at game end if not spent, but will obviously be fewer)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that, in the early game, selling goods to get silverlings early and reach the black market before anybody gets mines is very powerful. In two player games I mostly sell to get silverlings, and in the beginning of the game you have a lot of black tiles available.

I even find that having many different goods to sell on the first turn is quite an advantage; at the end of the game you might be happier if you sell a lot of goods at the same time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
Why exactly the value changes with more players?
Because the number of points you get for selling goods is equal to the number of players in the game. In a four player game every sold good is worth 4 points.

Also, going last in a four player game is rough. You get last pick of the tiles after the three best tiles have been taken. So there's more competition for turn order, which means you take shipping more often. And if you take shipping more often, then it makes sense to be selling goods.

Also, if other players have gone mining, the only way to get silverlings is selling goods. And you want to be able to buy tiles if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
chaps357 wrote:
Why exactly the value changes with more players?
Because the number of points you get for selling goods is equal to the number of players in the game. In a four player game every sold good is worth 4 points.

Ok! I missed that rule as I only played 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
[q="chaps357"]Also, if other players have gone mining, the only way to get silverlings is selling goods. And you want to be able to buy tiles if you can.

Not true. There's the Bank. Also I love knowledge tile #13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eNonsense wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
Also, if other players have gone mining, the only way to get silverlings is selling goods. And you want to be able to buy tiles if you can.

Not true. There's the Bank. Also I love knowledge tile #13.
That's true. What I should have said is that if other players take mines, getting silverlings through shipping becomes more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite partial to Knowledge tile #15! It's got to be the easiest cumulative value tile to maximize.

"The player who adds this tile to his estate receives 3 victory points at the end of the game for each goods type that he has sold at least one goods tile of." That's 18 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.