Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen other foamcore inserts, the Broken Token insert, and even the supposed Quick-Start Insert from Daedalus, but none of them seemed quick enough to start up a game for me. I mean, what if I absolutely, positively had to start up a game of Mage Knight in under a minute? The way all those cards are stored on their sides, you're looking at at least 1.5 minute setup time getting all those cards out: TOO LONG. By the time I've gotten everything out to start a game, I'm already bored. So I went about making a foamcore insert that could get me into Mage Knight as quickly as possible (with the help of some of the play mats found here on BGG). It's not a total foamcore solution, and some people may cringe at the use of baggies, but it works for me.

1) The Mage Knight box in its natural state.

2) Tops off (reference cards in a 9-pocket sleeve w rulebooks)

3) Books out. The section on the left contains 2 trays of 3 sleeved card decks (spells/adv actions/wounds + artifacts/units/adv units) with a baggie of crystals settling atop the smaller spell pile. On the right are baggies for each Mage Knight (figure, shield tokens, hero token, skill tokens, level/command tokens, & cards), day/night cards, castles/volkare, and the map tiles. Because the plastic figs are the 2nd cheapest looking plastic figs I've ever seen in a game (Mansions of Madness takes the #1 spot), I'm not quite as concerned about bending them. I think alot of the pieces were semi-bent when I first opened the box. I'm still waiting on the Shades of Tezla and Krang expansions to get in, but I *believe* I'll be able to just squeak them in... barely

4) Baggies out, bottom level. Tokens loaded up into a tray, Volkare disc atop map tiles. There's also a piece of foamcore beneath the map tiles to allow greasy fingers to get beneath the pile of map tiles. One pillar of foamcore is used to keep the map tiles from shifting about too much.

5) Matted up. I use two of the player mats found in the BGG File section (the other being the indiv. Hero mat). I've setup the trays so that each matches up with the card slots on the left or right side. I probably could've rotated the card trays 90 degrees and placed them beneath the map tiles and added a little bit extra with a puzzle piece connection to hook them up here, but oh well, I'm fine with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it !

Very tidy for quick set up .

well done .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, the reduced setup time is a huge plus! Thanks for sharing!

Now if you could provide some measurements so other people might be able to build something similar without too much effort... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tilley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Any chance you can provide the measurements for these? They look great.

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That was an outstanding question wasn't it? Sorry. I'll add that to my to-do list and measure stuff out. I have a rough vector illustration of the original plans, but when I work I tend to adjust things on the fly to what "feels" right and never exactly follow my original plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tilley
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I like this game and your build makes it so much easier to get on the table. I figured I would go ahead and ask.

It's a great design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's what I measured out, let me know if anything is unclear, but this, with the images above *should help you out with any questions.

Materials:
• Presentation board (~1mm thick, just something thin & sturdy for your floors)
• Foamcore (black; 3/16" or .5cm thick)

Floor:
outside (34.4cm x 24cm)

Main walls
(glued to floor; fits Hex tiles/token tray/hero baggies):
outside (23.2cm x 24cm x 6.5cm)

Card trays (2 trays altogether, each tray fits 3 decks of sleeved cards):
outside (24cm x 10cm x 3.25cm); each individual slot for cards has one of the sides left open with a scrap piece of foamcore glued underneath going across the length of the whole tray. This allows for the cards to sit propped up on that foamcore to allow for easily picking up the full deck for shuffling.

Token tray (fits 4 rows of tokens):
outside (16.5cm x 10.5cm x 2cm); I left the dividers inside the rows unglued, but a tight enough fit that they hold the tokens in place. I figured if need be I can rearrange if for whatever reason more tokens come out, though this current setup fits all current (and probably only) expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.