Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed small card games solo, like Onirim and Friday. I've enjoyed Descent, Ghost Stories and Robinson Crusoe solo. Now I'm looking for a deep strategy game that is not card based. If you could only buy one solo game, what game would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're on the right website. So many forum threads on here about solo games. A little research will return a plethora of information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang

Also, the 1 Player Guild can help you out quite a bit more with suggestions/inspiration etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and asked those folks as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23734676#23734676
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just spent a morning playing The Gallerist solo. The game is already deep and thinky, and the solitaire implementation does a great job of simulating multiplayer interactions but remains mechanically simple (I can't stand finicky solo rules).

The other excellent solo game in my collection is Fields of Arle. Again, the solo game is strategically deep and puzzly, and the solo rules are actually simpler than the 2 player rules.

Uwe Rosenberg, designer of Fields of Arle, includes solo rules for most of his games, and in general they are simple and satisfying. I am quite excited about his latest game, A Feast for Odin, for solo play.

Terraforming Mars is another new game that has been getting high marks for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WWG Con 2016!!!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:
At the Gates of Loyang

Also, the 1 Player Guild can help you out quite a bit more with suggestions/inspiration etc.

I second this...even though I've never played (and don't have), I know several people on BGG who have this as their favorite, top, "go-to" game for solo play...and it's replay value is supposed to be superb.

Mage Knight is supposed to be incredible as well, though I wouldn't classify it as a Euro-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Viticulture Essential Edition along with Tuscany Essential Edition
2. Scythe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road also has a very nice solo variant, and less fiddly to set up than Loyang. If time isn't pressing, Loyang is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is

Snowdonia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
A dissenting note RE At the Gates of Loyang. I own it and have played about 30 solo games now. I like the game, but I didn't recommend it for two reasons: first, the OP stated that he doesn't want a card game, and this is very much a card game. Secondly, I don't think it is as satisfying to play solo as other Rosenberg games, such as Fields of Arle, Ora et Labora, or even Agricola, primarily because it is lighter and has a fairly high luck factor (especially the solo game).

Had the OP not requested a game with no cards, I'd have recommended La Granja over Loyang. The solo implementation of that game is quite fun, though being a card game, it also suffers from luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang wasn't all that great to me, but I guess don't listen to me because I don't like Euros. I'd recommend Fields of Arle over any other euro game though, solo wise anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The correct answer is

Snowdonia.

Allow me to elaborate:

1. The game has a (sort-of) AI built into the regular, multi-player game. So it feels natural, unlike many other AI mechanisms that are put in as an after thought to allow solo play.

2. Each game proposes a new challenge, as you're only allowed one locomotive choice. And there are several mini expansions if the base game doesn't offer enough variety for you.

3. The weather mechanism is another natural-feeling mechanism that proposes a new challenge every game. It also fits in very thematically.

4. There are also several different rail lines you can use for a new experience, which is essentially a refresh on all the locomotive cards you can play too.

5. There is a small community of Snowdonia solo gamers who have jumped on the Snowdonia train, and a lot of discussion is happening on strategies and scores on each of the different scenarios and with each of the different locomotives.

Simply, put, it creates the most enjoyable solo Euro experience I could ever ask for.

See my Snowdonia Week GeekList to see some of what I'm talking about:

Snowdonia Week: A Collective Solo Experiment!
and
Scenarios of Snowdonia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the input! Super helpful.

Tallying up recommendations between both posts.

11 - At the Gates of Loyang
9 - Snowdonia
7 - Viticulture
5 - Fields of Arle
5 - La Granja

(Updated for recent comments)

I'm thinking pretty hard about getting these. I love the passion and insight people have for Snowdonia. Maybe for the holidays I will grab 1 or 2 of these. Loyang is cheap in the marketplace and Viticulture has a great theme. I am holding off on Scythe until the hype dies down.

When I said "not card based", I'm mainly sick of shuffling cards with Friday and Onirim. I've played Mage Knight and didn't want Legendary, Lord of the Rings LCG or Sentinels of the Multiverse games, where I'm awkwardly managing multiple hands of cards. You guys have done great steering away from those types. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
ragamuffin jojo wrote:

Mage Knight is supposed to be incredible as well, though I wouldn't classify it as a Euro-game.
MK is incredible solo--the best way to play it IMO--but it is card-based and not a Euro. It is, however, puzzly, exceedingly replayable, and deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Peoble
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you would like to explore more Solo games, a bunch of players from the 1 Player guild vote for their top 20 games each year and then that list gets turned into a top 100 list called the "People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games." It is a fun list to explore and may give you more options for games to look at. For what it's worth, Gates of Loyang is the top ranked Euro at #12.

Below is the GeekList for the 2015 awards:
2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Fields of Arle
+1 for A Feast for Odin (Uwe Rosenberg seemingly has thrown together many of his favourite game concepts into this one; I find the integration of the Patchwork mechanism particulary interesting)

Also upcoming:
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, the successor of the great Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:

When I said "not card based", I'm mainly sick of shuffling cards with Friday and Onirim.

Well you do have to shuffle a few times in Loyang, but not as much as the regular game when you shuffle once each card phase for 9 rounds. I recommended it because wile it is essentially a card game, it feels like a board game and has a very ingenious system built in.

I did have other recommendations also if you want to muddy the waters a bit

Walnut Grove - 'Little House on the Prairie The Board Game' plays very fun solo with no cards at all but OOP and possibly hard to find
K2 - also has a good solo option but you manage a small hand of cards with minimal shuffling (only to draw up once your deck is empty)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Aaron,

I play solo games quite often. You should really look into The Gallerist. It's a fantastic game with really good components. A pleasure to play and to look at.

Other very good solo euro games, would be:
Archipelago (you have to buy the solo expansion)
Orléans + Orléans: Invasion
Russian Railroads + Russian Railroads: German Railroads

Right now I'm playing a lot of Terraforming Mars. Very thematic game, but it's basically a card game with a map of mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maquis is solid. Lewis & Clark has a lot of depth. Mage Knight is the obvious beast of a game. At the Gates of Loyang is terrific too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:

Tallying up recommendations between both posts.

11 - At the Gates of Loyang
9 - Snowdonia
7 - Viticulture
5 - Fields of Arle
5 - La Granja

I haven't played La Granja yet, but I have played the other 4, and they are all great. Can't go wrong with any of them. Loyang is my favorite of the bunch for solo gaming, as it presents a really tight efficiency puzzle. Fields of Arle is the most sprawling and "sandbox"-like, if you prefer a wide open field of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmpressGeek wrote:

Walnut Grove - 'Little House on the Prairie The Board Game' plays very fun solo with no cards at all but OOP and possibly hard to find

Didn't it just get a reprint this year (or perhaps last year?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I know of...are you thinking about Finca? That's getting a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.