Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that the squad leader armor refreshes every turn. This implies that other armor does not refresh.

So, are we to track damaged armor somehow?

What about in more complex situations, like the white starter card that gives attacking units +1 armor? Do they get +1 armor every time they attack? What if on the first turn they attacked, but took no damage? Would they get two armor the second turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any kind of armor does refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the White Starter card I'm assuming you're referring to, Safe Attacking, does refresh but armor never accumulates. So you'll get +1 from it, and only +1, each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that there is no affect that permanently grants armor, so the question whether it refreshes isn't really relevant.

The squadleader slot gives a unit 1 armor at the start of every turn, Safe Attacking gives a unit 1 armor while attacking, many spells give a unit armor until the end of turn, etc.

I think this is explicitly done so that there isn't much to track. Most armor is lost at the end of turn at the latest so you don't need to track anything past that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
As far as I can tell, Armor is basically just a temporary defense bonus. Note that abilities that give permanent buffs do it in the form of +atk/+def runes, while abilities that give temporary buffs give +atk/+arm (Notable exeption is Vandy Androse's max band, but since that kills it's target anyway, it doesn't matter). The reason for this is just to clarify what happens when a temporary bonus wears off. Because damage is persistent in Codex, (as opposed to magic where it is wiped at the end of turn), if abilities gave temporary defense bonuses, creatures could die when they wore off if their total damage was greater than their (now lowered) defense. Dealing with temporary defense bonuses as armor clarifies that they are more like temporary hit points in D&D: they are lost first, so you won't die when they wear off, you just lose any that you hadn't lost already.

If armor were persistent, it would basically be a +0/+1 rune (there would only be a difference with respect to effects that could remove the rune, such as adding a -1/-1 rune). Thus any notion of accumulating armor misunderstands the function that armor serves in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Permanent buffs aren't always in the form of runes, by any means (Two Step, Soul Stone, Spirit of the Panda, Midori's midband, etc). But they're always extra HP. It's still possible for those effects to be removed (especially Two Step) at which point units can suddenly find themselves with too much damage and die.

Temporary buffs are pretty much always in the form of "+N ATK/+N armour", and all armour is temporary. (Some might think Ironbark Treant is an exception, but it's not: units stop patrolling when your turn starts, and start patrolling again at the end of your turn.)

If you were to attack with a Tech 0 unit while you had Safe Attacking out, it only has the armour for the duration of its attack; it loses the armour straight afterwards. If you then untapready the unit with Ready or Not and attack with it again, it'd go to a total of one point of armour for the duration of that second attack, whether or not the first armour was depleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Burns
msg tools
alextfish wrote:
Permanent buffs aren't always in the form of runes, by any means (Two Step, Soul Stone, Spirit of the Panda, Midori's midband, etc).

Fair enough. I guess I meant permanent bonuses granted by one-time effects. My point, though, was that permanent bonuses buff defense, while temporary bonuses buff armor, allowing armor to be understood as "temporary defense" in the sense I described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.