DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Locations card clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Lear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The manual says Locations "will remain face up and in play". From a literal interpretation then, if I have two Location cards that have already been previously played (and therefor are ongoing), then for every hand I play from that time on, I only need one additional card with a different name with a cost of 1 or more to activate the Super Hero Green Lantern, correct? ...because the two Locations count as 2 of the 3 card required by Green Lantern.

NOTE: the italics is a paraphrased portion of the following Green Lantern card text. Green Lantern: If you play three or more cards with different names and cost 1 or more during your turn, +3 Power.

Another question, can one card played activate multiple Locations? For example, playing a first Hero card that also happens to be the first card played with cost 2 or 3 wil activate both Location cards, Titans Tower and The Watchtower, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selection7 wrote:
If you play three or more cards with different names and cost 1 or more during your turn, +3 Power.

Locations played on a previous turn are "in-play" but are not "played" again this turn. Green Lantern needs three differently-named cards to be played on the same turn.

selection7 wrote:
Another question, can one card played activate multiple Locations? For example, playing a first Hero card that also happens to be the first card played with cost 2 or 3 wil activate both Location cards, Titans Tower and The Watchtower, correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Lear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Harbinjer wrote:
selection7 wrote:
If you play three or more cards with different names and cost 1 or more during your turn, +3 Power.

Locations played on a previous turn are "in-play" but are not "played" again this turn. Green Lantern needs three differently-named cards to be played on the same turn.

Got it. I think I can see now that while the Location cards are "in play" ongoing, they are only "played" during whatever turn they were originally played.

However, cryptozoic's manual should probably clarify or alternatively just not use the root word "play" in both the terms "Played" and "In play", just for clarity's sake. Off the top of my head, "In effect" would be a pretty good term to replace "In play"...achieves the same intended result, but can't be confused as a synonym with "Played" like "In play" can.

Thanks for your answer, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selection7 wrote:

However, cryptozoic's manual should probably clarify or alternatively just not use the root word "play" in both the terms "Played" and "In play", just for clarity's sake.

Teen Titans with all of its Ongoing cards, uses 'control' for cards that are in play on an ongoing basis and cards that you have played for the turn.

I don't remember off-hand what the rulebook says in the summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Teen Titans rulebook, Crypto started using the term "Control" to mean cards that are in-play. That solves your issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
CodeAndReload wrote:
selection7 wrote:

However, cryptozoic's manual should probably clarify or alternatively just not use the root word "play" in both the terms "Played" and "In play", just for clarity's sake.

Teen Titans with all of its Ongoing cards, uses 'control' for cards that are in play on an ongoing basis and cards that you have played for the turn.

I don't remember off-hand what the rulebook says in the summary.

Beat me to the punch lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Lear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Good to know. I hadn't thought of using the expansions' manuals for further insights about the rules. Thanks for all the info, everyonethumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, Swamp Thing uses the term 'control' in the base-set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selection7 wrote:
...manual should probably clarify or alternatively just not use the root word "play" in both the terms "Played" and "In play", just for clarity's sake....

Wouldn't be the first time a company uses the same word for multiple (slightly?) different things.

You ever play BANG!?
There is "draw" and there is "Draw!".
Not confusing in the slightest....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.