Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
would it mess up the balance if we played with the focus action rule when only playing with base game components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is already considered pretty easy to win. Focus adds another trick to your bag. Therefore it would be a bit more easy using focus.

However, I'd say, go for it. Focus is a great way to avoid feeling like you are compelled to waste actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenam wrote:
would it mess up the balance if we played with the focus action rule when only playing with base game components?

Remember, "easy" is relevant to each player, for me, the base game is NOT "easy" to beat so I did add Focus to it, it balanced the game for me for sure.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
yenam wrote:

Remember, "easy" is relevant to each player, for me, the base game is NOT "easy" to beat so I did add Focus to it, it balanced the game for me for sure.

Good Luck!

I've never heard this game described as easy until todaywhistle
Ill probably add the focus action. My wife doesn't like losing, so I'm worried she will get frustrated
Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenam wrote:

I only have the base game and Foresaken Lore and I use it. I use bits from another game to proxy the focus tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think focus should always be implemented whether you have the tokens are not. I don't find it changes the balance of the game because you can only have 2 per character and it's no different than using clues to reroll.

Sure, technically, spending clues to reroll is much worse than focus tokens...but that varies depending on the game and situation at hand. I've played games where we were flooded with clue tokens and no real need for them, so spending on rerolls wasn't an issue. And I've played games where things hit the fan so fast that spending an action to take a focus often wasn't an option. So I feel like it is fairly balanced. I would almost say that having good items will do much more to help/benefit you (and make the game a bit easier) than having tokens that allow a reroll.

The best thing about focus, by far, is the fact that it gives you something to do/care about during rounds where no other action is viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Mools wrote:
I think focus should always be implemented whether you have the tokens are not. I don't find it changes the balance of the game because you can only have 2 per character and it's no different than using clues to reroll.

Sure, technically, spending clues to reroll is much worse than focus tokens...but that varies depending on the game and situation at hand. I've played games where we were flooded with clue tokens and no real need for them, so spending on rerolls wasn't an issue. And I've played games where things hit the fan so fast that spending an action to take a focus often wasn't an option. So I feel like it is fairly balanced. I would almost say that having good items will do much more to help/benefit you (and make the game a bit easier) than having tokens that allow a reroll.

The best thing about focus, by far, is the fact that it gives you something to do/care about during rounds where no other action is viable.

We've played 1 game and we used the focus token and in this one game we pretty much saw what you are saying. When re-rolling with focus, the success rate was about 15%. We found on quite a few rounds we needed to focus on actions other then focus. Bottom line, in our 1 game, I don't think the focus action affected the balance overall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosu Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
Focus should make the game easier, but it's also cool because sometimes you can't move from the place you are (trying to close gate or get a clue the team needs), so at least you have something to do (specialy if you're not in a city so can't buy or so). Makes for less "I do nothing" turns which are quite boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yenam wrote:
We've played 1 game and we used the focus token and in this one game we pretty much saw what you are saying. When re-rolling with focus, the success rate was about 15%. We found on quite a few rounds we needed to focus on actions other then focus. Bottom line, in our 1 game, I don't think the focus action affected the balance overall

Overall, the success rate is 33.33%. But yes, most of the time it's more worthwhile to acquire assets, rest, travel, prepare to travel... focus is what you do when you have nothing better to do, or you know you have a critical roll coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.