Subject: Side quests and XP (RtL) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fridrik Jonsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
mb
So, my party (4 players) just spent an evening finishing our first side quest (dragon hunting). We play on hard because we're all fairly competent coop players (we usually only play coop games) that like a game to be challenging. We were really disheartened to learn you don't get xp from side quests, even when you win. Can anyone confirm for me this is always the case? If so, does anyone share this frustration and have any ideas for a fix that doesn't unbalance the game? An evening's worth of gaming without personal advancement left players feeling like skipping any more side quests, which would be a shame. Personal advancement is just so fun!

Important note: We were not disappointed because we want the game to be easier, at all. However, looking forward to getting "new toys" for our character, and a personal reward for the player for a successfully completed tough challenge, is a big part of playing a campaign game for us.

I'm left pondering what to do, as we don't want to make the game too easy, but the immediate conditioning of a "hey, you did well, do some character advancement" feels very important to us. I know the city action can buy xp, but the gold the quest gave was barely enough for two players to do that, even if we had the week remaining we'd need to do so at the end of the evening (which we don't).

Any ideas? My only idea so far would be giving us an xp for a sidequest win, but not a loss + forbidding the use of the city action to buy xp (don't mind keeping track by hand rather than app). That still feels like it would skew the game in our favor though, in total. Still, would feel far more thematic, and much more evenly divided between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The campaigns are balanced to a certain amount of xp (you can get xp points in the city action by the way). On a side note, the gold and the fame you can get from winning the sides quests are very important, or your group dont have acess to better loot (act II gear) in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't finished Kindred Fire but we are a little over half way. No side quests gave us XP. Nevertheless we really wanted the gold and fame to buy gear upgrades. Maybe it's just that my wife really loves shopping (even in games) but I thought rewards were fair.

I noticed that someone posted a variant using fortune tokens for side quests. You might check it out. RtL: Threat and Fortune Tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Side quests are used to get gold and fame. Fame is a hidden stat, but affects the value of the items that appear int he shop, and some travel events.

Gold is obviously for buying better items from the store, but it is ALSO used to purchase XP. You can absolutely gain XP by doing side quests, it just costs 50g per character and 1 extra week of training.

RTL should be approached like a rogue-like. You have a degree of randomness to what is available, and you need to balance your resources (gold/time/XP) to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Budapest wrote:
We haven't finished Kindred Fire but we are a little over half way. No side quests gave us XP. Nevertheless we really wanted the gold and fame to buy gear upgrades. Maybe it's just that my wife really loves shopping (even in games) but I thought rewards were fair.

I noticed that someone posted a variant using fortune tokens for side quests. You might check it out. RtL: Threat and Fortune Tokens

I posted that kind of as a response to this one, after thinking "What kind of variant could be put together with a bounty on Master monsters..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridrik Jonsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all!

Thanks for the replies, appreciate them. We know about the city action (see original post), and the importance of fame. Trouble is city action would never benefit everyone right away after a side quest, and fame is an abstract reward in the immediate experience. We're very big believers in immediate positive reinforcement for successful sessions of campaign games, games giving a player personal rewards after each session to make our character, specifically, more interesting and unique. It's rewarding to have a unique role, and it's rewarding for that role to advance with every sessions (maybe that's the roleplayer in us). Possibility of better items for the group later on doesn't really do that, though of course it's important for balancing difficulty.

I also gather another implied problem for us exists (kindred fire spoiler):

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In Kindred Fire I gather there are only 6 "main quests", four act I and two act II, each granting 1xp. This would seem to limit the amount of skills you can buy severely. As we own a LOT of classes from expansions, but can't play all that often (kids, etc), we'd really like to be able to explore a lot of a class's skills in a runthrough, so we could theoretically try something else later.

If anyone could confirm the above, it would be appreciated!

So, currently, my plan is as follows:
- Provide 1 xp additionally for a successfully completed side quest, not for a failed one.
- Remove the city action as an option.
- Boost the game's difficulty slightly as a result of the net improvement for the players due to this.

Net improvement should be roughly 2xp for the group + more gold to use for items, assuming the just above 100gold would be used for city action xp for half the players at a later point. We just need to decide how to buff the difficulty a bit. A flat hp boost for foes would be one way I'm considering at the moment (perhaps two flat boost numbers, depending on original hp). Would do more for some monsters than others, though, so if I go the HP route I might do a more complicated conversion and change each monster's hp on their cards.

As is probably obvious we don't mind houseruling games. We do it very frequently for two effects: Increasing game difficulty if we win more than we lose, or boosting unique abilities of players to make them more interesting. We like to be unique, with interesting options, and THEN lose.

I know this way of thinking is not for everyone, but I appreciate people pitching in even if they're fine with the app as it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some of the main quests give 2 XP. They're not all giving 1, so don't worry about that.

It's definitely balanced. If you had XP for every side quest you'd be able to buy all of your class skills!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridrik Jonsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, same still applies though. We want more than just balance. Players will just skip side quests this way as they don't really care about the rest of the campaign being harder for it. Good to know though, helps to balance the house rule out. Making all quests give no more than 1 is an easy way then to help towards successful sid equests granting xp. Appreciate the info. Know how many of them do, or is it variable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.