Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc is Tom Vassels #1 Game of 2016....And I couldn't agree more. I got my butt kicked when I played last week, still had a blast. I am having a great time with this one!! Thanks Portal and Grant, the designer, for all he does on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise there, he said it would probably be his no.1 of the year back when he first reviewed it! Great to see that it wasn't just a slip and the game holds its own though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. You know, I've been working hard on games for like 6 years now. And...seeing Cry Havoc be so well received and all the other stuff I'm working on going well...2016 will always be special to me. Man. Super cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of the year before the year is over? What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

A shit ton of Essen releases.

Back on the topic, this excites me because I have it preordered and my game likes match up very closely with Tom. Super cool to hear more grea things from it and can't wait for it to arrive...whenever that may be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

No, he notes in video it might change. He's been doing a series on his top games in every year, going back 40 years. These are what he considers his top 10 games of 2016 AT THIS TIME. So, it might change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

No, he notes in video it might change. He's been doing a series on his top games in every year, going back 40 years. These are what he considers his top 10 games of 2016 AT THIS TIME. So, it might change.

But what is the point of doing it two thirds of the year through? It should be made in January at the earliest. Silly and nonsensical. It is meaningless at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

But what is the point of doing it two thirds of the year through? It should be made in January at the earliest. Silly and nonsensical. It is meaningless at this point.

I think he's been doing his 40 Years of Games series for a while and wanted to finish that. This isn't his top 10 of 2016 -- though it very much looks like that. This is his entry for 2016 for his 40 years series.

I'm guessing he felt confident enough about the majority of the list to chime in?

I wouldn't worry about it too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have dice tower done a Top 10 (50,100) List of Top 10 (50,100) Lists yet?

I like Dice Tower but they sure do like their lists.

Game looks like a lot of fun by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Stewart
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
I think it's timed to coincide with his 40th birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

I don't know how to break this to you, but a man on the internet making a list of 10 games has as much or as little meaning as you want it to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wheeler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Spectator77 wrote:
Have dice tower done a Top 10 (50,100) List of Top 10 (50,100) Lists yet?

I like Dice Tower but they sure do like their lists.

Game looks like a lot of fun by the way.

It is kind of his thing though.

You might as well decry that HISHE sure do an awful lot of alternative endings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

But even if it does change, to be listed as #1 2/3rds of the way through the year is really cool.

shadow9d9 wrote:

He did mention in there that he did 2016 because 1975 sucked for games and he wanted to do the 40 years. However, his maths is actually a bit off and if he started in 1976 then 2015 is the 40th year. No doubt a common maths mistake to make, starting from 1 rather than 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

I don't know how to break this to you, but a man on the internet making a list of 10 games has as much or as little meaning as you want it to have.

The lengths superfans will go through in order to justify their fandom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
The lengths souperfans will go to in order to justify their fandom...

Of course, I expected to be skewered by a witty riposte. Such a shame, then, to fall at the final furlong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Vasel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
The lengths souperfans will go to in order to justify their fandom...

Of course, I expected to be skewered by a witty riposte. Such a shame, then, to fall at the final furlong.

Are you trying to say that someone who thinks themselves smug and superior will rationalize and make themselves think they are smug and superior!? That is shocking!

You lashed out. That alone should be enough to convince you otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cancelled my pre-order due to the hubbub about the game not being balanced (nope didn't play it and wouldn't have the chance to play it without buying it). Did this change or was their a rules update to fix the issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People rushed to comment about the supposed imbalance of the factions, although most of those who have actually played the game said that once you get to know the factions the game becomes much more balanced and it is far from broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I cancelled my pre-order due to the hubbub about the game not being balanced (nope didn't play it and wouldn't have the chance to play it without buying it). Did this change or was their a rules update to fix the issue?
I haven't seen anyone say it was imbalanced for 4 players, everything seems to be about 2 and 3. However, I think there was some recent change that was in the released FAQ that may have tweak balance in the 2 and 3 player cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the hardest number to balance should be 2 players. With more players, the players can gang up on any perceived leader thus balancing the game. 1 thing that impressed me about the game is that they used both sides of the board. This is great. More companies should do things with the other sides of boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
People rushed to comment about the supposed imbalance of the factions, although most of those who have actually played the game said that once you get to know the factions the game becomes much more balanced and it is far from broken

Pretty much the only people saying that in reference to 2 and 3 player games are the designer and publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Pretty much the only people saying that in reference to 2 and 3 player games are the designer and publisher.

I would note a person who is neither of those two wrote a 10k word piece on the game. One of the topics covered was his impression of balance.

Check out the Matrix "Quick Start" (heh) Guide.

You might still disagree, and that's totally fine, but he did a really great analysis based on a lot of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell S.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I for one would try to play this with 4 players whenever possible which should help mitigate that. If there was a tweak for 3 players that would be nice indeed. I personally would not play this with 2 other to maybe learn the game after reading up on it.

Looking forward to this game hitting retail as I somehow missed it until the last several months. All I was hearing about was Scythe but this sounds like more fun to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel Whisper
Netherlands
Weesp
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally playing this tonight! Hope watch it played has prepared me enough:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.