Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a fun weekend testing out a lot of the new content from Leo and Victoria, but started wondering at "what's next?"

Finding info was a bit difficult, but eventually I came across this:

December 2016 - a deluxe set with 2 new dice types (10 of each)... "Sympathy" and "Divine". There will be four decks:
1 mono-sympathy
1 mono-divine
1 sympathy and divine
1 based on using basic dice

2017 - new dice + old dice decks every 3-4 months.

And we will also see a new promo with each release. By my count, that would leave us with 30 Phoenixborn at the end of 2017?!?

So, what do you think these new dice will be like? What excites you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
That is (was) the plan developed by Plaid Hat games as they settled in as the latest group under the F2Z umbrella.

F2Z is now in exclusive talks to be purchased by Asmodee NA. When this goes through then, theoretically, Ashes could become an FFG LCG.

We, unfortunately, need to see how Asmodee will subsume F2Z and all its brands. There is rumor that some of the titles sold by FFG, DoW, Catan, Asmodee, and now Z-Man, Pretzel, and Plaid Hat will be moved around to better strengthen the 'themes and styles' of the individual brands.

I look forward to Ashes in 2017 and hope o attend a second Ashes Weekend at Team Covenant with Isaac, Fernanda and the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyler Tipsord
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The last that I'd heard, the 4 deck expansion had been pushed back to February or later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyler1221 wrote:
The last that I'd heard, the 4 deck expansion had been pushed back to February or later

What?? That's the first I've heard of it! That would be quite disappointing. I understand this would probably be a result of the Asmodee purchase, but that would somewhat a letdown. I hope it's not true. What were people told at GenCon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyler1221 wrote:

Skyler, did you test the info about a late release in Ashes Online group to see if that was indeed true? If not, mind if I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tekwych wrote:
F2Z is now in exclusive talks to be purchased by Asmodee NA. When this goes through then, theoretically, Ashes could become an FFG LCG.

Unlikely. Called an LCG, maybe. Become an FFG product, no.

skyler1221 wrote:

Source. Link. Something other than hearsay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Isaac has mentioned he would love to add the LCG tag to Ashes but I agree, Ashes will not become an FFG product. I could make a case for moving Pandemic but it will be interesting to see what theme or style each brand will relate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some place all of the Ashes discussion is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Favre
Switzerland
Sion
Valais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tekwych wrote:
F2Z is now in exclusive talks to be purchased by Asmodee NA.

Is it pure speculation or do you have any source ? Sounds intriguing !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
Is there some place all of the Ashes discussion is?

There's a Facebook group called Ashes Online. Other places too probably but that's the one I frequent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dYnkYn wrote:
tekwych wrote:
F2Z is now in exclusive talks to be purchased by Asmodee NA.

Is it pure speculation or do you have any source ? Sounds intriguing !

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/56171/asmodee-negotiation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So basically Asmodee want to buy everyone?

I've already lost interest in FFGs catalog since they've become nothing more than a Star Wars cash cow milker, and Ashes is on tenuous enough ground as it is since the expansion decks STILL aren't available for general retail outside of NA from anywhere other than the Plaid Hat store, and since thats the only place you can get the promo phoenixborn players are pretty much forced to pay the exorbitant shipping costs to get them.

*breathe*

Back on topic, I was actually really excited for the big box expansion with the extra dice way back when it was first announced, but, as a UK player, since the game has received absolutely no support over here, its difficult to maintain that enthusiasm, especially if its being pushed back to next year. Because that likely means that, here in the UK at least, we wont be seeing it until around about 2018, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
For those outside of North America the purchase should be a very good thing as Asmodee has a huge presence in the EU and much better distribution chains almost everywhere in the world. This should make Ashes and the rest of the Plaid Hat catalogue much easier to get and lower those import taxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, what a downer.

Hope things come to a happy enough resolution. I've slowly lost interest in FFG since they sold. So... I do have fears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
Wow, what a downer.

Hope things come to a happy enough resolution. I've slowly lost interest in FFG since they sold. So... I do have fears.

The thing is, aside from Ashes and one or two other titles, Plaid Hat do seem to publish more stand alone games. FFG are deeply (some might even say aggressively) entrenched in the expandable games market - even more so with the imminent release of that Star Wars Destiny crap.

I'm personally getting sick of checking on their site every few days to see it crawling with fluff articles about the deluge of Star Wars games they're throwing out. And I partly blame them for Lovecraft themed games reaching saturation point.

We can only hope that Plaid Hat manages to retain some of its unique identity, instead of being stripped and gutted by asmodee, much like EA have done with many a game studio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Look to Days of Wonder, the first big purchase by Asmodee, to try and guess the future. In the two years since that purchase the games have become more available, more in stock, and some suggest they have better components. Availability outside of North America has become better and price has gone down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tekwych wrote:
Look to Days of Wonder, the first big purchase by Asmodee, to try and guess the future. In the two years since that purchase the games have become more available, more in stock, and some suggest they have better components. Availability outside of North America has become better and price has gone down.

Hey stop that. That's too optimistic. It's much more fun to predict doom and gloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tekwych wrote:

That may be the case, but I also see what has happened to FFG since they got bought. Prices have gone up and content has gone down.

The end is nigh!

The end is nigh!

THE END IS NIGH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke deWaal
Canada
flag msg tools
skyler1221 wrote:

Not that I know anything about the situation, but this sounds about bang on. We were told Leo and Vicky were releasing at Gen Con, and while they were available for purchase there, it took a month and a half before they actually released (I'm still waiting on an FLGS to get them in, ordering online was a disaster for me last time). I'd be astonished if the big set actually released this year.

The delays are killing the game for me. I'm spending way more time playing Netrunner with the local community. I'm not stoked on the rate things are releasing, and at least there's a ton of content coming out in other lcgs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the 4 deck expansions going to be like a small deluxe style expansion? Or will it be individual deck expansions? The fact it comes with new dices makes it sound like a deluxe expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
Are the 4 deck expansions going to be like a small deluxe style expansion? Or will it be individual deck expansions? The fact it comes with new dices makes it sound like a deluxe expansion.

All source I could find point in that direction. There should be a "deluxe" style expansion with 4 preconstructed decks (mono-Divine, mono-Sympathy, Divine/Sympathy and All-Neutral-Cards), 10 Sympathy dice and 10 Divine dice.

The expansions after that should follow the same pattern ad those that cane out this year, i.e. two stand-alone preconstructed decks (Divine/something and Sympathy/something) with each release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:

Deluxe, or big box, expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, FFG has totally lost interest in original designs and seems only interested the massive franchises.
Granted, the management has been very good at getting the rights to the biggies (Even Before Star Wars they had a couple of Biggies with the Tolkien games and Game Of Thrones) and I can't blame them for that (if you are the head a of game company you would be crazy not to grab the Star Wars licence if you had a shot on it) but I wish they would use some of the money to bring out original stand alone games like they used to.
I don't think you can blame this on the Asmodee merger;FFG was going down this path before the merger.
On the bright side;Asmodee brings out quite a few original games and can think outside the box;I think Ashes will be OK. It is a consortium of different game companies;and Asmodes seems to allow each to do it's own thing as long as they make money. In fact, having a cash cow like the FFG franchise games might give them more of an ability to take a chance now and then.
In the end, it is a business,and if you don't make a profit you don't stay in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
The Waspman wrote:
tekwych wrote:

That may be the case, but I also see what has happened to FFG since they got bought. Prices have gone up and content has gone down.

The end is nigh!

The end is nigh!

THE END IS NIGH!!!

They were going down that path before the merger.......not sure it changed much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Meyer
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
dudalb wrote:
Yeah, FFG has totally lost interest in original designs and seems only interested the massive franchises.

In House IPs:
Android Netrunner (The Netrunner Card Game Mechanic is Licensed but the IP is FFG.)
Legend of the Five Rings
Runebound
Arkham / Cthulhu (most Lovecraft is public domain)

All of these IPs have 3 or more games at FFG (L5R has two announced)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.