Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Some say the game is over too soon. Would it break the game to add another round or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Soukal
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Some say the game is over too soon. Would it break the game to add another round or two?

Hi LSD,
Thanks for smart point!

Yes, it's totally okay to prolong the game for a round or two if you feel like to! thumbsup

We have experimented with various set-ups and the 7 round scheme resulted in an overall winner. It's not an unbreakable rule and if you and your group feel like you will enjoy Space Race better playing round or two more then go for it! Would love to hear your feedback.

However, adding a round or two might have some consequences.

Below I'm putting 3 major criteria/reasons why I finally sticked to the 7 rounds scheme for the base game. Of course it will always be a matter of personal preference, but I'd like to show you the points I considered:

Too powerful combos can be constructed the later the game is. Sometimes with power to change totally and unpredictably the standings. It seems to me to even work against the Control Cards keep/use mechanics -- a player can hardly anticipate which Control Card might be the deal breaker that late in the game but still has only three of them to activate abilities in each stage and has to use one of them each round. This might lead to very unpredictable victories with a player winning just thanks to a "lucky strike".

From my perspective, the not-enough-of-time-to-do-everything is a part of a thematic nature of the game itself. Just like in real Space Race there also wasn't plenty of time to take care of everything and you just needed to set priorities.

Later combos are much more effective (powerful) in depleting the deck. Since the mechanics isn't constructed to work smooth without a deck, the deck should then consist of a considerably greater amount of cards just to withstand such a progressive drawing a later combos can evoke. However, this isn't an issue while playing in less than 4 players.

I will be glad to hear what do you (or anybody else) think about the above points! thumbsup

If you like experimenting you might like to try the following alteration. It was kind of a speed variant and it's surely unstable
1. Each player picks two Control Cards for each round (instead of one). Both of them are "active" at the current round.
2. The game lasts for 6 rounds (that means all players will use all their Control Cards).
3. Double the number of cards that have to be added into the Universe each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks as soon as I get my copy I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.