Subject: One more bothersome question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
When I see a "hit" mentioned in the immediate action box, do I always execute that BEFORE any hits in the hit box or AFTER any hits in the hit box? Or does the answer to this question vary?

The FAQ suggests that it always happens after. But something tells me that a play like Quick Eye might happen immediately while a play like Teamwork might happen afterwards.

If so, what are all the different rules I need to worry about? (Kinda wish that the action box would mention "immediately" when applicable to avoid confusion.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you give an example of a specific card you are referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rulebook:

1. The active player plays a card from his hand to his In Play Box.
2. The active player resolves his Immediate Action Box, if applicable.
3. The opponent’s threatened hits are resolved, if applicable.
4. The active player places Batters to represent his threatened hits from his Hit Boxes.

Always do the Action Box as soon as you play the card. The Hit Box is the last thing that happens on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediate actions are done immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
When I see a "hit" mentioned in the immediate action box, do I always execute that BEFORE any hits in the hit box or AFTER any hits in the hit box? Or does the answer to this question vary?

They happen before you place threatened hits in your hit box. No exceptions that I know of.

When you play a card (any card):

o Resolve your immediate action. If there's a hit there, the hit happens right away. Teamwork hits happen right away.
o Resolve the opponent's threatened hits from his last card
o Place your threatened hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So then am I misinterpreting the following q&a from page 8 of the FAQ?

QUESTION
If the Teamwork ability adds a Hit to a player's Hit Box, does that Hit come before or after the other Hits in that player's Hit Box?

ANSWER
It comes last. Hits are always done sequentially from left to right and added Hits are added to the end on the right.

Here's an example from card #NM-155:

Immediate Action Box says "Teamwork: Single for each Natural you have already played this game."

So the FAQ in this case implies that a Teamwork hit comes last.

And elsewhere I read that Quick Eye hits come first. From Page 8 of the rule book:

Quick Eye: If opponent’s top In Play card is a Cyborg, immediately execute the Hit listed after Quick Eye in the Immediate Action box. Quick
Eye has no effect If your opponent played a Natural or a Robot.

Thus, my original post and question. It's all rather confusing!

P.S. When playing solo, if the dummy player's card requires a decision, do you basically do what a human player would do in that case and resolve it that way? (Example: Double Play. Remove up to 2 base runners. --And I had the bases loaded.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, Teamwork's immediate action is to modify the Hit Box. You still do that immediately upon playing the card. When you get to step 4 as referenced above, you then add the threatened hits onto home plate on your mat.

After your opponent plays their card (and resolving their Immediate Action Box), you then resolve all your remaining threatened hits, in order from left to right on the card, followed by any added threatened hits from the Teamwork effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:
Okay, Teamwork's immediate action is to modify the Hit Box. You still do that immediately upon playing the card. When you get to step 4 as referenced above, you then add the threatened hits onto home plate on your mat.

After your opponent plays their card (and resolving their Immediate Action Box), you then resolve all your remaining threatened hits, in order from left to right on the card, followed by any added threatened hits from the Teamwork effect.

So if I had to come up with a general rule of thumb, it would be "execute everything in the immediate action box immediately except in the case of Teamwork?" Or are there other exceptions you're aware of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
runtsta wrote:

So if I had to come up with a general rule of thumb, it would be "execute everything in the immediate action box immediately except in the case of Teamwork?" Or are there other exceptions you're aware of?

You still execute the Teamwork, it just doesn't have a tangible effect until your Hitting phase. Maybe that's splitting hairs. I'm can't think of any other effects that are delayed like that offhand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
That helps. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
All right, I thought I understood but now that I'm faced with another example, I'm totally lost again. Here's the example:

AI is threatening 3 singles with RH-165.

I don't have any card I can play that'll cancel or lessen the impact of that so I play ST-058, which is "Robot -- Quick Eye: Single (if vs. Cyborg)" which also threatens a double.

So next, the AI gets its 3 singles.

But then what happens?

The AI is about to play its next card. But when exactly do I possibly get my extra Single? Before the AI plays or after?

If after, and if I were playing against a human in this case, wouldn't the human player simply avoid playing a Cyborg so I don't get my extra single after he plays his card? And if he played a card that canceled all hits for example, would that cancel the double and the single?

Or do I get the single before my opponent responds to the played card?
When the Quick Eye card says "(if vs. Cyborg)", what card is being checked to see if it's a Cyborg?

This seems utterly bewildering. Or maybe I'm just incredibly thick. But the timing of all this is really messing with my brain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
All right, I thought I understood but now that I'm faced with another example, I'm totally lost again. Here's the example:

I don't have any card I can play that'll cancel or lessen the impact of that so I play ST-058, which is "Robot -- Quick Eye: Single (if vs. Cyborg)" which also threatens a double.

Execute the immediate action immediately, i.e. take your single right now. Quick Eye refers to the Cyborg the AI just played, not whichever card it happens to play next.

Now the AI gets its 3 singles.

Next you add the threatened double to your hit box.

Then the AI plays its next card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
qwertymartin wrote:
schnel wrote:

Execute the immediate action immediately, i.e. take your single right now. Quick Eye refers to the Cyborg the AI just played, not whichever card it happens to play next.

Okay, so I just have to remember 3 things: Immediate, Immediate, and Immediate! Seems simple enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
schnel wrote:

Okay, so I just have to remember 3 things: Immediate, Immediate, and Immediate!

Not really, you're making this much more complicated than it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
schnel wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
schnel wrote:

Okay, so I just have to remember 3 things: Immediate, Immediate, and Immediate!

Not really, you're making this much more complicated than it is.

I would say much much much much more complicated... From your questions Larry I think you haven't grasped the rules very well... that question regarding the Quick Eye makes that clear...

Not trying to be a smart ass but I would recommend reading the rules all over again...
If the Quick Eye worked like you thought it would it would always be a useless card against humans, only if a player only had Cyborgs in hand it would be good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

QUESTION
If the Teamwork ability adds a Hit to a player's Hit Box, does that Hit come before or after the other Hits in that player's Hit Box?

Can someone point me to the place where it says that Teamwork adds a hit to the Hit Boxes. Not in the rules nor does it seem to be implied anywhere else.

Cards like Fred Fisk, Kevin Pedroia and Bill Bell look like they should all get their hits executed immediately.

The question in the Q&A says "If the Teamwork ability adds a Hit to a player's Hit Box" but there is nothing on those 3 cards mentioning the Hit Boxes.

Fred Fisk is ridiculously overpriced at 11 if his home run is not immediate. I'm pretty sure this is an error in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the teamwork cards in the Rally Cap expansion that add a hit to the next player's hit box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
It's the teamwork cards in the Rally Cap expansion that add a hit to the next player's hit box.

Aha!

Thank you.

==================

Just as an aside to the original poster, I would learn the game using only the basic set cards before mixing in any expansions and stick to that for quite a while.

The expansions are not really meant for solo play and you can also get into some hairy situations particularly with some of the newer robots that you wouldn't want to deal with until you've mastered the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Great Teamwork in getting the questions answered.

Ralph

Go Wiffle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Cos Cob
Connecticut
flag msg tools
peterk1 wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

Aha!

Thank you.

==================

Just as an aside to the original poster, I would learn the game using only the basic set cards before mixing in any expansions and stick to that for quite a while.

The expansions are not really meant for solo play and you can also get into some hairy situations particularly with some of the newer robots that you wouldn't want to deal with until you've mastered the basics.

Good advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.