6 Posts

Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gold tile for standard game - balanced alternative rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Catan expansions contain gold tiles which give a wild card; pick any resource. However that would be too powerful in a standard game so here is an alternative idea for using one gold tile.

Remove a resource-producing tile at random (in other words, not the desert) and replace it with a gold tile. Set up the game randomly as you normally would; place frames, tiles and numbered tokens.

The gold tile does not produce a random resource. Instead it actually produces gold coins. You can use the gold coins from The Rivers Of Catan expansion or poker chips or whatever to represent these.

Gold cannot be stolen; nor is there any limit to how much you can hold or how much you can spend on your turn.

Gold is spent to buy resources of your choice; however the cost varies depending on the number token on the tile. The cost of a resource is the number of dots on the token.

For instance, if the token was a 6 or 8, it would cost 5 gold to buy a resource. If it was 11 or 3, it would cost 2 gold and so on.

I am hoping this idea for the gold tile will make the use of it in a basic game feasible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty Gamer wrote:
Catan expansions contain gold tiles which give a wild card; pick any resource. However that would be too powerful in a standard game so here is an alternative idea for using one gold tile.

Remove a resource-producing tile at random (in other words, not the desert) and replace it with a gold tile. Set up the game randomly as you normally would; place frames, tiles and numbered tokens.

The gold tile does not produce a random resource. Instead it actually produces gold coins. You can use the gold coins from The Rivers Of Catan expansion or poker chips or whatever to represent these.

Gold cannot be stolen; nor is there any limit to how much you can hold or how much you can spend on your turn.

Gold is spent to buy resources of your choice; however the cost varies depending on the number token on the tile. The cost of a resource is the number of dots on the token.

For instance, if the token was a 6 or 8, it would cost 5 gold to buy a resource. If it was 11 or 3, it would cost 2 gold and so on.

I am hoping this idea for the gold tile will make the use of it in a basic game feasible.

I've played with Gold Tiles via Sea3D, which has digital Settlers and Seafarers.

Concerning Seaf.... the Gold tiles are more balanced in where you need to travel for to get to them.

Even normally, gold is wild, but it must be exchanged for one of the 5 available resources as soon as it's obtained! For example, if you get 2 Gold and 1 Sheep, then you immediately exchange the 2 Gold for whatever's available. In this case, 1 wheat and 1 ore. You can't hold on to actual gold resource tokens/cards. If someone were to rob you, they'd either get a sheep, ore, or wheat, but not the gold. If later on you realized the 2 Gold should've been a wood and a clay instead, but unfortunately, you'll have to make do with the wheat and ore you got, and would have to have anticipated this need as you got the gold.

That out of the way, it sounds like this variant has good grounds.

Seeing as the gold units can't be robbed, and doesn't add to hand limit, it may be too powerful to allow a player to hoard them, and them have the option to get 10 to 18 resources at one time.

At least this is what they done in Settlers Of America... you can convert Gold into resources at some x to y rate, but you can only do one transaction per turn. So if you have 9 gold and let's say it was every 3 gold to 1 of any resource, then you'd need to spend at least 3 turns to convert it all (e.g. 1st 3 Gold for Wood, next 3 Gold for Cow, and next 3 Gold for another Cow, and hope that you don't lose any of them due to the robber or hand limit.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
So if the gold hex has a 2 or 12, it's the same as being wild. On a 3 or 11, it's probably about equal to other commodities - double "cost" for the resource of your choice. On a more common number than that, this variant will likely slow down the game by reducing production.

I wouldn't want to have a settlement on a gold hex unless it was a 2, 3, 11, or 12. For any other number, gold just isn't worth enough - I'd rather have a real resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
So if the gold hex has a 2 or 12, it's the same as being wild. On a 3 or 11, it's probably about equal to other commodities - double "cost" for the resource of your choice. On a more common number than that, this variant will likely slow down the game by reducing production.

I wouldn't want to have a settlement on a gold hex unless it was a 2, 3, 11, or 12. For any other number, gold just isn't worth enough - I'd rather have a real resource.
Hmm, 1/5 or 1/4 of ANY resource can still be a lousy proposition.

OTOH, I've seen games where 2 or 12 roll so scarcely, that they weren't worth it for the resource generation. And then there's also the timing where a 2 or 12 gets rolled, but never again.

Also depending on luck, not having to discard down due to the hand limit, or it not getting robbed can be worth its weight in, well, gold.

It seems like this can be luck dependent? (Well, more than the game already is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
You're perhaps forgetting that once you have at least a city or more, you are getting more for each time the number is thrown. I think with higher number tokens, it would be worth investing for the long term, but less advantage in the short term. That is also where the immunity to a robber would also give that edge. If you are getting 3 or more coins on every 6, it would be better than 3 resources on every 6 with the thief striking before you have time to spend them. However, a 6 on a gold tile as a wildcard is generally too powerful, hence the reason for this suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty Gamer wrote:
You're perhaps forgetting that once you have at least a city or more, you are getting more for each time the number is thrown.

No I'm not. It's the same as it would be for regular resources.

With a settlement, I'd rather have an actual resource, than 1/4 or 1/5 of a resource of my choice.

With a city, I'd rather have two of an actual resource, than 1/2 or 2/5 of a resource of my choice.

On a 2 or 12, I'd get one or two resources of my choice, rather than one or two of a fixed resource. That's definitely an advantage!

On a 3 or 11, I'd get half or one resource of my choice, rather than one or two of a fixed resource. That's a fair trade-off, IMO.

On a 5 or 9 giving gold, it has to roll four times to get a card of your choice. If it was giving sheep, you can already trade with the bank the four sheep for a card of your choice anyway. And you might be able to make a better trade than that with a harbor or another player, or you might actually have use for the sheep.

With a 6 or 8 giving gold, 5 gold is obviously worth *less* than 5 sheep. 5 gold = one card of your choice. 5 sheep, in the worst possible trading situation = a card of your choice, plus a sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.