7 Posts

Dolmen» Forums » General

Subject: Differences to Die Dolmengötter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this different from Die Dolmengötter? The game looks nice, but what I'm really interested in are the "minor changes to the gameplay" the description hints at. What are those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael C
United States
Fort Worth
TX - Texas
flag msg tools
There are two appreciable changes. (I'm hedging here since this is all from memory, will double-check rules and edit my post later if I find mistakes)

Firstly, the movement rules are subtly altered from the original, which had a rule called "flight of the druids". (yes really) A druid would be laid on its side as one player action, and then during future turns, could move from that spot to any other spot on the board for one more action.

In this edition, you may recall a druid on the field during your turn, placing him anywhere you like on future turns.

The difference is a pretty minor one, influencing only timing of stone drops and the odd druid-bridge.

Secondly, concerning scoring triggers. In the second, it's all at the end, so you can only ever forego mandatory placement five times, max. In the first edition, in addition to endgame scoring, stone circles are scored sooner if possible, in the event that every single spot on the circle is filled. So the final tally remains a mystery comparatively longer in the newer edition.

The older version also supported a fifth player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the druids fly - they do spend the turn collecting herbs to give them the power of flight =)

I've yet to see anyone pay a point during the game, so that's not a huge difference.

Very good that they removed the fifth player - the game was quite unplayable with five players. It's a four-player game, period.

So nothing major then. Hmm. I wonder if the update is worth it, then. The new version does seem to look a little better, so if that helps getting on the table more often, that would certainly be a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
You came straight from your Top 100 list to ask this, right?

Well, thanks, now this game is on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
msaari wrote:
Of course the druids fly - they do spend the turn collecting herbs to give them the power of flight =)

I've yet to see anyone pay a point during the game, so that's not a huge difference.

Very good that they removed the fifth player - the game was quite unplayable with five players. It's a four-player game, period.

So nothing major then. Hmm. I wonder if the update is worth it, then. The new version does seem to look a little better, so if that helps getting on the table more often, that would certainly be a bonus.

If the changes are minor, how came it became "Best 2-3" game from "Best 4"?
The older version wasn't even recommended for 2p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Dolmen player count has been rated by exactly one voter, who has odd preferences. It's not much of a community opinion, when it's by one person...

Based on the information I have, I'd say Dolmen is also strictly a four-player game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Bummer.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.