Subject: Horror/Damage face up/down question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Olson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried a search on this but didn't find an answer, so I apologize if this has been covered before...

On page 12 of the 'How To Play' booklet, it says the investigator claims the card 'face-up' and either resolves or keeps face up.

On page 7 of the 'Rules Reference' booklet, it says all Damage and Horror are claimed faceup unless the effect causing the Damage or Horror says otherwise.

HOWEVER, on the Monster Activation Example given on page 11 of 'Learn to Play' booklet, the Deep One attacks on point #3, and the app generates the effect. On point #4 Agatha tests her strength (2) and only rolls 1 success (Point #5), then in Point #6, it says "The effect generated by the app instructs Agatha to suffer 2 FACEDOWN Damage negated by her strength check. In this case, the 1 success results in only 1 damage taken, but the booklet goes on to say 'she suffers the remaining one FACEDOWN damage."

I'm confused. Why is it face down and not face up?

In the game I am playing, during the Mythos phase, the app instructed that each investigator suffers 2 Horror damage. I don't know if they are Facedown (brain art showing), or do I flip them both Face up for each one and try to resolve? So on turn 2 of the game, they both suffer two face up Horror per the app?

Confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaysonOl wrote:
I tried a search on this but didn't find an answer, so I apologize if this has been covered before...

On page 12 of the 'How To Play' booklet, it says the investigator claims the card 'face-up' and either resolves or keeps face up.

On page 7 of the 'Rules Reference' booklet, it says all Damage and Horror are claimed faceup unless the effect causing the Damage or Horror says otherwise.

HOWEVER, on the Monster Activation Example given on page 11 of 'Learn to Play' booklet, the Deep One attacks on point #3, and the app generates the effect. On point #4 Agatha tests her strength (2) and only rolls 1 success (Point #5), then in Point #6, it says "The effect generated by the app instructs Agatha to suffer 2 FACEDOWN Damage negated by her strength check. In this case, the 1 success results in only 1 damage taken, but the booklet goes on to say 'she suffers the remaining one FACEDOWN damage."

I'm confused. Why is it face down and not face up?

In the game I am playing, during the Mythos phase, the app instructed that each investigator suffers 2 Horror damage. I don't know if they are Facedown (brain art showing), or do I flip them both Face up for each one and try to resolve? So on turn 2 of the game, they both suffer two face up Horror per the app?

Confused...

This was covered exhaustively when the game came out. In fact, it's covered in the FAQ thread that's right on the top of the hot threads in this forum.

The answer is that it's an error in the "Learn to Play" guide. You always draw the cards face UP unless the app specifies that you draw them face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ignore the images in that LTP example, they have multiple errors. For example, the wrong number of dice are also rolled. The example is correct for its text, but it doesn't match the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That explains a lot... I thought something was hinky in my first play through. Hopefully FFG will get a proper FAQ with the corrections up on their website PDQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoibs
Australia
Sunshine Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
Oh.
Only recently got this game here down under. Haven't really been looking at the threads here or even know when this game 'came out' world wide.

I definitely played my first game wrong also then..

Time to go look at that FAQ/Errata

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.