Subject: Hints for playing Russians? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I've played this game solitaire half a dozen times and really like it. A great strategic feel with many options to be pursued, and enough thematic material in the technology and combat system to root it firmly in the period.

But I'm damned if I can figure out how to play the Russians. Whatever I do, the Central Powers gang up on them and drive straight for Moscow and Petrograd, taking it in 1915. The Western Allies pile on the pressure, but it's not enough before the hordes of Germans sent east conquers Russia and are automatically teleported back into the homeland.

What am I doing wrong? Any hints very welcome.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb
Russia is the hardest faction to play, you have to balance growth with keeping the pressure on the Central Powers.

The Scorched Earth card is a great help in trading land for lives.

You must ensure the Western Allied player keeps pressure on Germany, and then later on Austro-Hungary. If the CP turns east, hit him in the west.

Keep the Serbs alive and Fresh, if you can, so they keep the A-H in a stand-off. Badger the Brits for some a PP to keep the Serbs as a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure I understand why any CP units would be teleported anywhere. What does that refer to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jon can you give us an idea of what German defences you are leaving on the Western Front? My experience is that if you go after Russia in 1915 you are going to get battered by the Western Allies though the artillery tech cards can make a difference if one side gets an early lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Oops, re teleportation, I misread the rule on Russian collapse. It's the TE that get relocated to home areas, not the CP.

I'm generally leaving three or four Germans plus two trenches on each of the two western front areas that the Germans have. Plus air if available and artillery if I have counterbattery. This seems to keep the WA at bay.

Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget you can only have one trench in mountain areas. I assume you are talking about Rhine as one of the western front areas which is mountain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon carter
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
Ooh, forgot that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I forgot as well in my first game.

I would say if you batter away at that German defence with all the French and Brit armies and in 1915 the Italians you should be able to relieve pressure on Russia.

One trick is to move Italian units to France and vice versa to spread the cost of offensives.

If Germany goes east it is on the defensive on the Western Front. Keep the pressure on turn after turn and don't forget the Italian front.

The key for Russia is perhaps the Scorched Earth card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am trying out the go east strategy in my current game.

Here is the situation on the Western Front at the beginning of summer, 1915.

Germany has 8 armies on the eastern front, 7 in the west and 1 in Africa.

The defence in the west is more or less as Jon describes above:-

In Belgium Germany has 4 armies + 2 trenches + air.

In Rhine, Germany has 3 armies + 1 trench.

The Allies have 6 armies + 2 heavy artillery in Somme and 4 French armies in Verdun.

Western Front, Summer 1915

My current thinking is that with a WA attack of 9 or 10 armies plus artillery Belgium is vulnerable, and if Belgium falls Germany is in trouble...we shall see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is the eastern front.

Russia has drawn the central war industries event meaning it gets 5PP per turn, which is crucial, but no Scorched Earth card yet.

Serbia was knocked out in Spring 1915, with German armies helping the Austrians.

For Russia, the aim here will be to trade space for time. From Germany's point of view it is gambling on knocking Russia out before the western front collapses under the Allied onslaught.

I still think this is a very risky strategy for Germany.

I also think that whether the CP get their artillery cards before the Russians get scorched earth might prove crucial.

Eastern Front, Summer 1915
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's the beginning of the summer 1916 turn and the Germans are hanging on in the west.

The allies have amassed 10 armies in Belgium (3 Brit, 6 French and 1 Italian) and 3 heavy artillery units. Belgium was recaptured from Germany in summer 1915 and Hanover was saved on two occasions by "none shall pass", meaning two German armies permanently eliminated.

Simply put, I would say the Germans need a minimum of 6 armies and 2 trenches to defend against the allies and that is still not certain to hold out.

The big thing here is that the WAllies have the advantage in artillery since the CP only drew their A1 card in Spring 1916 and still don't have the C1 card (the Allies had both since early 1915).

The "Carter defence" is taking a beating...can it hold out...we shall see.

Summer 1916, Western Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Meanwhile the Russians are hanging on in the east, having retreated all the way back to Moscow and Petrograd, with their army largely intact.

The Russians have 7 armies + 1 trench + 1 artillery in Moscow and 5 armies + 1 trench + 1 artillery in Petrograd (and C1 means the artillery can defend).

Use here was made of Scorched Earth, avoiding the temptation to attack in order to build up the Russian army to its maximum strength at the cost of giving up vast tracts of territory, but since there are no production areas that doesn't matter.

Opposing that defence are 12 attacking armies (5 German, 6 Austrian, 1 Bulgarian) + 3 heavy artillery.

Whether the CP can batter their way through these solid looking Russian defences and knock Russia out in the next few turns before the Allies smash through into Germany in the west will go a long way to determining the outcome of the game but it doesn't look good for the CP at this point.

Summer 1916, Eastern Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So finally in Winter 1916, the Allies crashed through the German western front defences into Hanover. So at that point the CP resigns as the Allies are on the verge of sweeping into Berlin.

The "Go East" strategy is going to result in an early win one way or another. If Russia collapses in 1915 I think it is game over for the TE.
But with competent play and reasonable luck on the card draw I can't see any way for the CP to take out Russia that early.

So in my mind sending the bulk of the German army to the eastern front is a bad idea not least because it hands the initiative in the west to Germany's most powerful enemies, Britain and France.

They will have the luxury of building up massive forces, and attacking all over the map, in Africa, the Near East, Italy and the Western Front.

There will be no pressure on France. It makes it too easy for the TE.

The Russians can fall back and build a mega defence in Petrograd and Moscow (see the picture above)

On the eastern front, I had 13 armies from Turkey, Germany, Austria and Bulgaria plus 4 artillery and air superiority and Stosstruppen and still couldn't break through against a full strength Russian army with trenches, and, crucially, C1 counter barrage technology.

Bearing in mind Russia is going to collapse anyway with a minimal effort probably in 1917 (it's quite easy to take the four areas required), so why go after Russia early?

Better to divert resources and try and knock Italy out perhaps...this will be the objective in my next game.

Finally I would say, if you are going to go after Russia early, you need the artillery technology, either to attack Russia or defend in the west.

If the TE has the edge in artillery you are going to fail with this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike! Interesting posts and analysis.

Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cheers Herm I would be interested to hear other people's views on the Go East strategy.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Footnote: Please see my concern as well posted January 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.