Automobiles» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo variant/Ghost car rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Play-tested this a few times with many different set ups. Works great for 2 player when you need a dummy player. I find this adds to the excitement. Also works great for solo. Dummy car plays by the following rules:
1. Dummy car is in first position
2. On the first lap of a 5 lap race, it moves 5 spaces along the white track (lane 1)
3. It continues until it passes the 1st lap. After that, on its next turn it moves to lane 2 diagonally (light gray track) and moves 4 spaces.
4. After lap 2 it moves to the dark gray track (lane 3) and moves 3 spaces each turn along that track for lap 3.
5. Lap 4 it moves to the outside lane (Black track) and moves 2 spaces.
6. On the final lap it goes back to lane 3 and moves 3 spaces.

The ghost car will finish the race after 20 turns. I find it blocks your car more often than you think. Allows for drafting many times and with 3 play-tests as solo and 2 play-tests as a 2 player, it makes the game more playable. Give me your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tested this with both tracks ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Harder side ghost car completes in 25 rounds as compared to 20 on Daytona. It is a harder track. I tested the harder side twice and the race came down to the wire. Of all the play-testing, the most I won by was 1/2 lap. This works really well for 2 players making it 3 cars. Did you try it yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edzrealtor wrote:
Did you try it yet?

Not yet and I won't have time for it this month.

If I tried it I would give my impressions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lima
Brazil
Sorocaba
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun dummy implementation and very simple, so far I like it (:

Question: If a player's car gets in the way of the dummy car, should it move less spaces or should it act like a ghost and drive over the player car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
ghost moves through player car but player car cannot go through ghost car.

Thanks for giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schleicher
United States
GOLDEN VALLEY
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lapped the ghost car coming around the corner to start my final lap, and then I crossed the finish line while it was coming around the corner to start the final lap. I think it only blocked me one time. Not sure if I just got lucky, or what. It was still an enjoyable play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edzrealtor wrote:
Play-tested this a few times with many different set ups. Works great for 2 player when you need a dummy player. I find this adds to the excitement. Also works great for solo. Dummy car plays by the following rules:
1. Dummy car is in first position
2. On the first lap of a 5 lap race, it moves 5 spaces along the white track (lane 1)
3. It continues until it passes the 1st lap. After that, on its next turn it moves to lane 2 diagonally (light gray track) and moves 4 spaces.
4. After lap 2 it moves to the dark gray track (lane 3) and moves 3 spaces each turn along that track for lap 3.
5. Lap 4 it moves to the outside lane (Black track) and moves 2 spaces.
6. On the final lap it goes back to lane 3 and moves 3 spaces.

The ghost car will finish the race after 20 turns. I find it blocks your car more often than you think. Allows for drafting many times and with 3 play-tests as solo and 2 play-tests as a 2 player, it makes the game more playable. Give me your thoughts.

Looking forward to giving this a go...
How would you implement this for a 3 lap race?
Steps 2, 3 and 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Ed - - Thank you for inventing the Ghost Car ... I love it! We might play tomorrow with 3P + Ghost. Somebody pointed out that this Euro might be better with more than three combatants.

But I want to clarify my understanding. Am I right that the track color isn't necessary in your description? That is, following the diagonal move each turn after the Ghost completes a lap, the remaining moves are simply 1n the 2nd lane, 3rd lane, 4th lane, and 3rd lane, no matter the color of the spaces?

If not, I'm puzzled because in Daytona there do not exist two black spaces in a row for the Ghost to move along.

I also hope someone will suggest 3-lap versions. I was hopeful that we could follow only the first three steps of your 5-lap formula and it would work out, but my two trials so far (admittedly not a credible sample) indicate that the Ghost falls behind early and then catches up at the end, so would have a disadvantage in a 3-lap race. Does anybody else have data?

Thanks, All!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I do 4 lap races for this. Never got to lap the ghost. With the right combinations of cards I guess its possible. I would say got lucky that time. Came up with a harder variant:

Build a bag for ghost car and put 2 GEAR cubes into it. Follow the variant but grab 1 cube from his bag and add it. I lose 70% of the time now with that extra cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
for a faster race follow the rules for the variant for laps 1,2,and 3 only. For a tougher race, build a bag of 2 gear cubes each for the ghost and draw one and add it. Makes it much harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
betsychuck wrote:
Hi, Ed - - Thank you for inventing the Ghost Car ... I love it! We might play tomorrow with 3P + Ghost. Somebody pointed out that this Euro might be better with more than three combatants.

But I want to clarify my understanding. Am I right that the track color isn't necessary in your description? That is, following the diagonal move each turn after the Ghost completes a lap, the remaining moves are simply 1n the 2nd lane, 3rd lane, 4th lane, and 3rd lane, no matter the color of the spaces?

If not, I'm puzzled because in Daytona there do not exist two black spaces in a row for the Ghost to move along.

I also hope someone will suggest 3-lap versions. I was hopeful that we could follow only the first three steps of your 5-lap formula and it would work out, but my two trials so far (admittedly not a credible sample) indicate that the Ghost falls behind early and then catches up at the end, so would have a disadvantage in a 3-lap race. Does anybody else have data?

Thanks, All!

This ghost variant was written with Daytona in mind. For the backside, all I changed was changing white, grey, dark, and black with inner, middle, outer middle, and outside and had car change lanes for free.

For the 3 lap race try keep the ghost doing white (inner) Light grey (middle), and Dark Grey (outer middle) but build the ghost a bag as follows:
Build a bag of 2 gear cubes each for the ghost and draw one and add it to the ghosts cubes. Makes it much harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat ... Thanks, Ed! We've also added white dots to some of the cubes whose colors were hard to distinguish (two trays, and purple versus brown). We'll be playing again soon and will add your Ghost.

-- Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Fechna
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you also change lanes according to the colour of the drawn cube if necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Zoller
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If necessary yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
What happen if cannot move because no more color? As good example is the fourth lap with black colour.

I did a try and I won the tie but I noticed (after rereading the post) that i didnt follow the rule of ghost passing through my car when is blocked. The next time I will do...

I will try more this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.