Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo Variant for Base Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
(Preface: this game is unbelievably awesome! Can't believe I took so long to pick it up.)

Here's another attempt at a low-maintenance solo variant that borrows some ideas from the official solo game in the Gathering Storm expansion. The current version of the playmat is shown below. Unlike the official solo game, the "AI" in this game doesn't draw or play cards and simply advances on the empire and consume tracks based on the actions the AI or the player selected for the round. The player and AI follow the advanced two player rules with the usual choice of 2 from 9 available actions, and resolve duplicated actions the same way except that the AI never gets bonuses. You will need two dice and 4 markers (two for selecting your actions and two to track the dummy's progress). The AI will never build more than a 12th planet/development. I can almost guarantee that the score track will need to be modified after some testing.

PS: I contemplated some more complicated approaches that have effects and/or tracks for explore and produce, and one could dream up some interesting scenario based play that involves neutralizing threats like in the Xeno expansion.

PPS: In case it's not obvious, if you roll 6 on one of your dice you should place the other die first. If you roll two 5s place one on produce. In either case you place the remaining die on an unused action (by player or AI) starting from rightmost to leftmost.

UPDATE 9/19:
1. Fixed a glitch on the play mat (there should not have been two produce actions showing!)
2. I think the AI is a little too aggressive on develop/settle. I need to dial that back a bit. I have an idea for a tick tock mechanism that will make the AI switch between explore and develop/settle and between produce and consume to better mimic a player and sometimes lock it out of developing/settling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
OK, here's a new version that uses two cutout tokens to make the odds of the key actions fluctuate depending on what was last played, and also allows for the possibility that the AI won't immediately use actions that you selected. I'll add some complete instructions at a later date, but here's the rough outline

Setup

Set yourself up as if you are playing an advanced two player game, but get two markers instead of the 9 action cards. Place the game mat in a convenient place, place the two cutouts on their "*" and "#" sides in the indicated positions on the mat, and set the 24 VP next to the mat. After shuffling the deck, remove 12 cards from the game. The AI player does not use any cards for actions or play. Place a marker at the start position of the empire track (each square on the track representing a development or settlement for the AI). Take a black and white die and set it beside the play mat.

Game Play

Play proceeds in rounds as follows:

1. During the action selection phase, the player chooses his actions first. Then roll the black and white die placing them on the corresponding colored and numbered squares to determine the AI actions.

2. Immediately resolve the actions of the AI player as described on the play mat. The AI resolves the actions the player selected but it did not select unless that action has the keyphrase "NO FOLLOW" on the cutout token. After resolving the actions flip the cutout tokens if either of the actions on the token have the "FLIP AFTER <ACTION>" keyphrase. The AI player may play the Develop or Settle actions twice by advancing two positions on the empire track.

3. Now resolve the player's action in the usual way for an advanced two player game.

4. The player then discards down to 10 cards as usual.

The game ends if at the end of the round, the AI has reaches the end square on the empire track, the player builds his 12th settlement of development, or the central victory point pile is exhausted. The AI never builds a 13th settlement or development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.