15 Posts

Chimera Station» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointed about player colors matching ability colors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the KS forums the creator suggests that during play testing the colors did not cause any confusion. However, to me at least, it seems unnecessary. The Lego prototypes reviewers are playing use different player colors, and it makes a lot more sense that way. To me, a "green" alien would be an alien that gas the green ability naturally. When playing now I have to explain to the players not to count the top and bottom green pieces... Sigh... Surprisingly, this is the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. Petty, yes, but it bothers me enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a decent concern to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TabletopAdept wrote:
In the KS forums the creator suggests that during play testing the colors did not cause any confusion. However, to me at least, it seems unnecessary. The Lego prototypes reviewers are playing use different player colors, and it makes a lot more sense that way. To me, a "green" alien would be an alien that gas the green ability naturally. When playing now I have to explain to the players not to count the top and bottom green pieces... Sigh... Surprisingly, this is the one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger. Petty, yes, but it bothers me enough.

With the Lego prototype, the alien pieces look the same as the components pieces. In the actual game it is super obvious what a leaf component looks like due to the shape, and it's nothing like an alien worker.

I think you'll find its easy to explain that "the one with the leaf doesn't need to eat", and color won't come into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree that it's probably not hard to differentiate the shape of the leaves, tentacles, etc. It just would provide a cleaner aesthetic to have them be different colors.

I'm sure you don't have to change the mold to change the color, so I assume it has something to do with the cost of using more colors. Otherwise, it seems like it's definitely worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TabletopAdept wrote:
I believe the $80K stretch goal involves an optional variable player power mechanic, where the color of the alien will in fact be correlated to the color of the component. So while their power won't be "doesn't need to eat," the green aliens will have a bonus when it comes to food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have not backed this for the very same reason. It is obviously a concern TMG is aware of as *EVERY* piece of art has the aliens "wearing" parts that are different colors from their own. None are pictured wearing parts that match their "natural" color. It makes the game look cheap, and confusing. I'm not on board until this changes. Pink, black and brown are my suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
I, too, have not backed this for the very same reason. It is obviously a concern TMG is aware of as *EVERY* piece of art has the aliens "wearing" parts that are different colors from their own. None are pictured wearing parts that match their "natural" color. It makes the game look cheap, and confusing. I'm not on board until this changes. Pink, black and brown are my suggestions.

Actually, the images in the rulebook and everything show a non-player-color (blue) alien on purpose, so it's more generic and not confused with a player color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
riddle13 wrote:

Actually, the images in the rulebook and everything show a non-player-color (blue) alien on purpose, so it's more generic and not confused with a player color.

Isn't this the same difference? You're basically admitting that if you had shown the example aliens *AS THEY ACTUALLY APPEAR IN THE GAME* that they would be confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:
riddle13 wrote:

Isn't this the same difference? You're basically admitting that if you had shown the example aliens *AS THEY ACTUALLY APPEAR IN THE GAME* that they would be confusing.

Yeah, confusing in a manner of "That example shows one player color, but I'm another player color.. does it apply to me?"

Not confusing at all with respect to mixing up the color of the alien heads/feet with the color of the piece with tentacles coming out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Riddle
United States
Leesburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Yeah, confusing in a manner of "That example shows one player color, but I'm another player color.. does it apply to me?"

Not confusing at all with respect to mixing up the color of the alien heads/feet with the color of the piece with tentacles coming out of it.

Really ? Because I have never been confused by a rulebook using a particular player color for its examples into thinking those rules and examples only applied to that player color. You're skirting around the real issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

Really ? Because I have never been confused by a rulebook using a particular player color for its examples into thinking those rules and examples only applied to that player color. You're skirting around the real issue.
So then please explain how you are confused by the component parts sharing colors with the individual player colors. If you are under the impression that only aliens of a certain color can add components of that color, reading the basic rules should disabuse you of that notion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddle13 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

But I think this is more akin to rules explaining the use of resources in a game (especially when they're all cubes). It's not uncommon for the rules to use a generic, non-game color (like gray) when discussing resources in general terms that don't require using specific goods. This has become a shorthand for "any resource will do" to avoid confusion. Even a brief time spent browsing the rules forum of a game you know well will reveal how easily people get confused, even with the best of rule books.

In this case, they seem to have the same goal - blue means, "applies to any alien color." I agree that any time player colors and non-player-specific game elements share common colors it's a little bothersome and seems like poor design, and I too would prefer some difference. However, I would change my mind if in fact the player powers are related to the body color abilities. If green aliens have a latent ability related to the leaf power, for example, I can easily forgive this mild faux pas. And if not, I can get over it. I think it's suboptimal design and will probably confuse people I teach the game to (at least initially, because it seems so obvious that the colors would be related), but we'll get over it if we like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the video on KickStarter (the one on top) you can see aliens with another color than blue and with components of their own color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
riddle13 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

But I think this is more akin to rules explaining the use of resources in a game (especially when they're all cubes). It's not uncommon for the rules to use a generic, non-game color (like gray) when discussing resources in general terms that don't require using specific goods. This has become a shorthand for "any resource will do" to avoid confusion. Even a brief time spent browsing the rules forum of a game you know well will reveal how easily people get confused, even with the best of rule books.

In this case, they seem to have the same goal - blue means, "applies to any alien color." I agree that any time player colors and non-player-specific game elements share common colors it's a little bothersome and seems like poor design, and I too would prefer some difference. However, I would change my mind if in fact the player powers are related to the body color abilities. If green aliens have a latent ability related to the leaf power, for example, I can easily forgive this mild faux pas. And if not, I can get over it. I think it's suboptimal design and will probably confuse people I teach the game to (at least initially, because it seems so obvious that the colors would be related), but we'll get over it if we like the game.

Indeed, the b side player board abilities associate with the components, so the Exo-friendlies (green) are sort of "better" at leaves so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Indeed, the b side player board abilities associate with the components, so the Exo-friendlies (green) are sort of "better" at leaves so to speak.

Well, there we go. As far as I'm concerned, that's fine. There's a purpose to it, I can tell people during a "basic" game, "that does matter, but not for this game," and I'm sure we'll all get it just fine. Thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.