Subject: Next War : Poland - Question about Game Components Quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomsa Thomas
Germany
Trier
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the Next War Series very much. A well developed, smooth and challenging game system.

The quality of the game components of the Next War Series is of good quality, no doubt about that. But compared to other recent GMT Games productions the Next War series falls short concerning quality of the components. Current released games (COIN Series games for example) get much better components than games of the Next War Series get. I think about mounted maps, bigger box, thick counters and even nice wooden components.

Therefor my question: Will the upcoming Next War Poland receive better components compared to the Standard set by the already released Next War Series games? One can think about a mounted mapboard. This would be a huge step in higher quality and gaming enjoyment. Bigger and thicker game box would also be a big improvement to sort and store all the goodies. Two copies of Charts and tables for both players where necessary would be nice touch also. One important (and I think cheap) enhancement would be to have thicker counters with the game. Wooden components aren’t needed for the Next War Series in my opinion. But especially better quality counters (thicker) should be very affordable from a pricing point of view. While being nice to look at the counters are lacking some thickness compared to COIN games counters. I recently compared the thickness of Falling Sky (listed GMT price 80$) to India Pakistan (85$ price tag) counters. I stacked 10 Falling Sky counters. To get the same height I had to stack 15 counters from India Pakistan. By the way how much would thicker counters rise the price tag for a 3 countersheet game?

The next War-series does get a very good treatment in respect of design and development. Will NWP/Supplement #1 get the quality-components this nice game series deserves also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A COIN game gets a 4000 games print run from what I understand and they sell out. War games get more like a 2000 games run and they don't usually sell out quickly. Fire in the Lake had a 7000 games first print run!

I have no idea what the price breaks are, but I wouldn't be surprised if a "COIN grade" Next War game went up to $125-135 list price (most people in US pay a lot less via P500 or online) instead of $85 (really $55-65 online.)

In addition, the falling sky map is half the size, the NWP strategic display is bigger than the falling sky map as well, and there's only 1 counter sheet, not 4.

Looks like NWP will include two sets of player aids, either that or we're in for a whole lot more tables:

* Six 8.5x11" Player Aids

* Two 11x17" Player Aids

I too would like a mounted map but I make do with a sheet of transparent plastic over the paper map instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would work for a game with the counter density and map size of the NW series. The counters and maps are fine the way they are. If the counters were thicker, it would create some practical problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
I don't think it would work for a game with the counter density and map size of the NW series. The counters and maps are fine the way they are. If the counters were thicker, it would create some practical problems.

Totally agree. No desire for clunkier counters and happy with the maps as they are in the current games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thomsa wrote:
I like the Next War Series very much. A well developed, smooth and challenging game system.

The quality of the game components of the Next War Series is of good quality, no doubt about that. But compared to other recent GMT Games productions the Next War series falls short concerning quality of the components. Current released games (COIN Series games for example) get much better components than games of the Next War Series get. I think about mounted maps, bigger box, thick counters and even nice wooden components.

Therefor my question: Will the upcoming Next War Poland receive better components compared to the Standard set by the already released Next War Series games? One can think about a mounted mapboard. This would be a huge step in higher quality and gaming enjoyment. Bigger and thicker game box would also be a big improvement to sort and store all the goodies. Two copies of Charts and tables for both players where necessary would be nice touch also. One important (and I think cheap) enhancement would be to have thicker counters with the game. Wooden components aren’t needed for the Next War Series in my opinion. But especially better quality counters (thicker) should be very affordable from a pricing point of view. While being nice to look at the counters are lacking some thickness compared to COIN games counters. I recently compared the thickness of Falling Sky (listed GMT price 80$) to India Pakistan (85$ price tag) counters. I stacked 10 Falling Sky counters. To get the same height I had to stack 15 counters from India Pakistan. By the way how much would thicker counters rise the price tag for a 3 countersheet game?

The next War-series does get a very good treatment in respect of design and development. Will NWP/Supplement #1 get the quality-components this nice game series deserves also?

I think the old ones are of really good quality, an improvement is always well received IF it make the game affordable.

A very big mounted board and thicker counter + big box would rise the price so high it will make some non-US buyer's life ( like me ) really hard.

Immagine i lose the p500 and look for the game here or ebay, probably more than 150 USD for sure plus shipping. Just look the prices for a used NW:Korea.

I hope not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mike
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has GMT ever considered selling an electronic version of the game? We could just take it to a print shop and have a better version made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.