5 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat with routed units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxence L.F.
msg tools
Hi everyone,

Due to quite unclear rules (at least in french), we met a strange situation in a recent game: I was attacked in a space area by the ennemy's fleet, who won the battle. I was nevertheless able to retreat two spaceships to an another space area, but this area was attacked again by my opponent.

Then we had this situation: he attacked my routed spaceships with his unrouted (obviously) ships.

My question is: what happened then? Following the (french) rules, we understood that a battle between unrouted and routed units cannot occur, and we proceeded to a automatic retreat for the already routed spaceships (actually making these units "invincible" as long as they can retreat).

I am quite unsure about this situation, so a clarification/confirmation would be welcomed ! ;-)

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A combat can most certainly occur, your routed units can't add any dice to the battle so you would roll zero dice and your opponent rolls all their dice, you most likely will have all your units destroyed. You would have 3 rounds of combat as usual, with both players playing one card each combat round, but you can't activate any abilities on the cards, nor will you have any dice. So you will more than likely lose all units.

Page 4, COMBAT, 1.A in the rules reference book - "Both attacker and defender each roll dice equal to the number of UNROUTED units in combat"

Also page 11, under ROUT and RALLY - "Routed units do not contribute combat dice at the start of combat"

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxence L.F.
msg tools
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

I am not sure about that... We could also read in P4, COMBAT:

"If the defender does not have unrouted units or bastions in the area at the start of a combat, the attacker immediately wins the combat. Players skip the preparation and execution steps and move directly to substep b) of the resolution step."

Actually, I found the answer in the FAQ:
"Q: What happens when I enter a contested area and all
defending units are routed?
A: Combat still occurs, but players skip directly to the
Resolution step of combat with the attacker automatically
winning. The defending units are forced to retreat, and are
destroyed if they cannot."

I should have begun with the FAQ, my bad guys ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you played it right. Paul's answer is not correct. Ground or space battles skip to the retreat stage if there are no unrouted defenders at the start. As long as they have a valid escape route, they will survive.

Your surmise was correct in that it is very difficult to destroy routed ships in a fresh attack, as they run away without a fight taking place. The only way to do this is to ensure that they have no escape route - usually a combination of warp storms and having neighbouring voids occupied with hostile ships.

Needless to say, the Eldar are better at puling this off than anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
...I think I'm gonna give up understanding this game now. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.