Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

This year will be my second time visiting Essen SPIEL and there are already quite some games that look interesting to me. If I count it all up, it costs a lot of money. I was wondering if you guys give yourselves a buying limit. I'm definitly gonna do this, and I might still exceed it but there is a limit so it will slow down my buying urge for sure.

What are your limits?
Do you set a limit, why/why not?
How much did you spend at Essen (only on games) the previous years?

I'm not here to point fingers or to open a discussion about money(-issues), I'm just interested in how everyone handles this.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mb
Well you better come with a limited amount of cash, because what's in your wallet will leave your wallet. In no time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For most people, the limit is the size of their suitcase.

I don't set a limit, but it's not my first time. I've gone through the Essen list a couple of times. I pretty much know what I'm going to buy already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ilse,

I guess everyone has his (financial) limits.

In my preparation-period I already have a little limit in mind. I look for games that interest me, and I make a first (financial) draft of what to get and not. This would by 2/3th of my Essen-budget (including possible preorders).

Then comes the difficult part: the rest of the budget goes to the difficult decissions. Buying some bargains, or buying some new games from the list.

To prevent myself from wanting it all, I only take cash to Essen - leaving my (credit)cards at home...

So, basically Essen is like a good Euro for me. Trying to get the maximum out of your resources...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I set a budget and last year I stayed under it. Some years I extended it by 50 €, but I try to be rational and I don't do blind buys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
Usually you get games cheaper on the net if you can wait a couple of weeks after the show.

Only buy real bargains and only games you really want - then you shouldn't run into any troubles meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my 12th visit so I've seen a lot of it before and it takes a lot to impress me these days, So my list gets shorter each year. Then I had to get it back on the plane so that stopped me buying to much. This year we're driving so no limits, I'll probably end up buying a lot more older games at more bargain prices. But I hope my curmudgeonly nature will prevent me over spending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garry hit the nail on the head. My list gets shorter each year, since I know the games I like, the games I play, and that game innovation is really limited. On the more mundane side, suitcase space, shelf space and budget are valid considerations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Enter the piggy bank

During the year, whenever we save money on something by paying attention / being smart about something we put a cent in the piggy bank for each euro saved that way. The cents act as a counting device.

At the beginning of October the piggy bank gets emptied, the cents are counted and then converted back to euro - and that's the budget. This way you sort of saved up for it and feels like free spending money. Even then we usually don't spend all of it - the last couple of years we came in under 500 euro of games bought at Spiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Ek
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
This is my first time. I'm a student so I just saved what I could this summer from the summerjob. After flight & hotel is paid, my spending budget will be somewhere around 1500€, for games, food etc. Between me and my girlfriend, three suitcases are paid for during the flight home, however, the prices for shipping it home from the fair are quite low (we live in Sweden) so, maybe some of the game/food budget will go to wrapping and shipping so that we can have a care-free trip home. Also, some of the budget will have to be spent on accsessories like the geekboxes, maybe a full-size gaming mat etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Spiel jar in which I save up 5 or 10 € bills from time to time occasionally a 20€ bill but that's pretty rare. That's the only money I bring to Spiel. If I wouldn't do that I'm sure I would just empty my bank account the day before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mostly only buy used games from the essen bgg auction. While I am interested to see the new games on display, getting them at Essen is usually an average deal at best. I don't have a set budget, because I haven't needed to - so far my purchases have been under €200 which is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Kurek
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a limit on money that I spend on games every month. All money that is not used around the year is put aside and used when it's time for SPIEL.
Allthough I mostly buy games from math trade or great bargains, SPIEL won't come cheap... again blush but since it's the only hobby that I invest much money in, I'm fine with my system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.-M. Frieg
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
Fan since 1988
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually i have the cash i get from my auctions selling at spiel + 0 to 300€ own investment if needed. So i know what i have when my auctions end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Leuthold
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mottchen wrote:
Usually i have the cash i get from my auctions selling at spiel + 0 to 300€ own investment if needed. So i know what i have when my auctions end.

The same here. Auctions + 200-400EUR. But normally i don't use all of it... I hope so...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.-M. Frieg
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
Fan since 1988
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumblejack wrote:

The same here. Auctions + 200-400EUR. But normally i don't use all of it... I hope so...shake

We all hope to get out with cash, but you'll never know what is at the next booth. ;-) *buy me, buy me*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two theoretical limits: the amount in my wallet and the fact I'll only make a single trip to the car during the day - when my bag gets full the second time, that's it.

In practice, though, I've never hit those limits: some time in the afternoon, realization will sink in that I've really REALLY bought enough and even the best bargain doesn't change that whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
And so it begins...
mb
Limits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be second visit and I have two thoughts:

1. OMG so many games, I want them all
2. Wait, all games which I bought were available later, usually cheaper..

So basing on this I am planning to spend some money, but for games which will be for sure in retail I will pass, especially that there might be Polish version which is usually cheaper

This is my basic plan for this year

For sure I will be checking small publisher, Asian games, promos and bargains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The VAT free limit to Norway is about 650 euros per person, so this year we are bringing the kidswhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
The VAT free limit to Norway is about 650 euros per person, so this year we are bringing the kidswhistle

Does this matter in Schengen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Traitor76 wrote:

Schengen doesn't matter - what matters is if you're inside the EU (VAT) or not (you can reclaim VAT paid) - in your case you're paying VAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Borghal wrote:
Traitor76 wrote:

Schengen doesn't matter - what matters is if you're inside the EU (VAT) or not (you can reclaim VAT paid) - in your case you're paying VAT.

Actually you will likely not be able to reclaim VAT paid, as the seller need to be registered with a VAT reclaiming agency, and you need a proper receipt. However if stopped in customs there is a limit to how much goods you are allowed to bring back before paying VAT to your home country (this varies from country to country, and sometimes depend on how long you stay).
So if I went alone and spent 1500eur, I would need to pay 25% VAT to Norway on about 850eur. Though not likely they check if you get stopped, it can happen.

Schengen is about simpler and weaker inner border control once inside, it has nothing to do with trade and goods, witch is regulated by EU and EFTA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Borghal wrote:
Traitor76 wrote:

Actually you will likely not be able to reclaim VAT paid, as the seller need to be registered with a VAT reclaiming agency, and you need a proper receipt. However if stopped in customs there is a limit to how much goods you are allowed to bring back before paying VAT to your home country (this varies from country to country, and sometimes depend on how long you stay).
So if I went alone and spent 1500eur, I would need to pay 25% VAT to Norway on about 850eur. Though not likely they check if you get stopped, it can happen.

Schengen is about simpler and weaker inner border control once inside, it has nothing to do with trade and goods, witch is regulated by EU and EFTA.

So...since we don't have border checks anymore (or does Norway have them? been a while sicne I been there. In the Czech Republic you wouldn't even notice you're crossing to Poland/Germany/w/e, and our border patrol just randomly stops people on highways nowhere near the border (idkwtf is up with that)), how would they prove you purchased them outside of Norway? Or that you even purchased them at all, and you're not just moving a friend's colelction over or whatever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
Or that you even purchased them at all, and you're not just moving a friend's colelction over or whatever?

It's a call made by customs.

With electronics bought outside the EU the "standard" procedure is to throw away the box, (postal) mail yourself the proof of purchase / warranty / manual and carry it with you.

With games, well, a game still in shrink is a dead give-away, but a completely punched and bagged game with no rules and a sticker with your name and address on the inside of the box ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.