Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Verhoef
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 37-year-old Dutch guy with a 36-year-old Polish girlfriend. She indulges me by playing games together, and we do not shy away from confrontation at the table. Also, away from the table
She's currently staying over at my place because she broke a bone in her foot and needs some help getting around. Having an invalid in the house is great for playing games, as she can’t run away to do something else.

I bought Viticulture secondhanded this Saturday at a small Dutch convention, in combination with Tuscany and Euphoria ('the Stonemaier special') I got it based on me enjoying Scythe and hearing good things about it through the grapevine. I also got it because I can't resist a bargain. After arriving back home again and being scorned for buying games, she admitted that she liked the theme of Viticulture and would like to try it. I wisely refrained from mentioning anything about stereotypes about Polish people and alcohol, nor women and wine.

So on Sunday after dinner we sat down for Viticulture. These are our findings:
The game is easy to learn: everything you need to know is on the board. If you've played other worker placement games, you can pretty much start right away after a quick scan of the rules. I will not go into the details of the rules here, I'll just say that the goal is to gain points by planting vines, growing grapes, crushing them like the skull and spirit of your opponent, making wine and fulfilling orders. You achieve this all by putting your people to work efficiently.

The component quality is excellent. Nice sturdy materials, a choice of boards with and without explanatory text. Top notch, it’s the Stonemaier standard.
The game itself is extremely good, one of the best I've played this year. I guess the best word for it, is 'pleasant'. It’s got such a feel of serenity over it. Managing your workers between seasons gives you interesting choices. The visitors add spice and surprise. The level of interaction is just right: visitor cards often have an effect on your opponent and you might want to keep an eye on each other’s plans: a well-placed worker can disrupt your opponent’s plans for a year.

The bickering factor was pretty low. Sure, we were in each other's way sometimes, but with the big worker that enables you to take an action that's already been taken by your opponent, you could still do most of the things you wanted to do. I think I only got sworn at when I managed to complete big orders.

I own a lot of games, and many I’ve only played once or not even that. After completing our first game of Viticulture, we agreed we’d give it another go very soon. The plan is to play the regular version again next time, then start adding the Tuscany stuff. I’m hoping she’ll agree to add the mama’s and papa’s next time already.

Heartily recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Rissel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorite games- precisely because my wife enjoys it so much. There is plenty of strategy involved, and multiple ways to gain victory points. The tight economy makes you really consider your decisions.

Tuscany opens up even more possibilities! The expanded board and the mamas and the papas are the best modules- but the additional summer and winter visitor cards are also great-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wnverhoef wrote:

The bickering factor was pretty low. Sure, we were in each other's way sometimes, but with the big worker that enables you to take an action that's already been taken by your opponent, you could still do most of the things you wanted to do. I think I only got sworn at when I managed to complete big orders.

I own a lot of games, and many I’ve only played once or not even that. After completing our first game of Viticulture, we agreed we’d give it another go very soon. The plan is to play the regular version again next time, then start adding the Tuscany stuff. I’m hoping she’ll agree to add the mama’s and papa’s next time already.

Heartily recommended!

This is easily one of my favorite worker placement games, You are right, because of the Grande worker, and the myriad of choices, bickering tends to be very low (compared, with, say Lords of Water Deep). It's very relaxing, perhaps not as relaxing as Tokaido or Mystic Vale, but still a great game to chill with after a stressful day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture plays well with two, though I think it gets more interesting with 4 or so. The expansions help the game out without "fixing" everything like some expansions do. We like adding one or two things in each time. We always use Mommas and Poppas as it starts you out and helps you to approach the start differently each time.

What I really like about the game is that there are lots of ways to score points - I've nearly won before without fulfilling a single order card (much harder to do in 2-player, but an option in 4-player games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're funny. And I'd love to read more reviews from you.
I'll have to look for your avatar/name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wnverhoef wrote:
The bickering factor was pretty low.

I don't think that's a factor I've seen mentioned before about our games, but I'm happy to hear that Viti didn't add much to your bickering .

Thank you for taking the time to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Now that you have played once, I highly recommend the Tuscany board in which you play all four seasons and have more choices for worker placement

I also highly recommend you play sometime with 4 players - lots of players getting in each others' way makes for an interesting game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verhoef
Netherlands
Weert
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it again (with some bickering), just the base game. She won this time, I was trying to gain points by using the mill and the tasting table. It was close, but she beat me fair and square. I tried the Automa a couple of times (won the fourth game) with the Mama's and Papa's but I'm not allowed to do that anymore as it gives me an unfair advantage.

Thanks for your comments and feedback, I'm sure we'll play this a lot more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wnverhoef wrote:
I tried the Automa a couple of times (won the fourth game) with the Mama's and Papa's but I'm not allowed to do that anymore as it gives me an unfair advantage.

This means that I've achieved my goal of making the solo game similar enough to the multiplayer game that playing against the Automa makes you better at the multiplayer game.

That makes me a happy camper .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.