chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi few question.

1) Can a novice run pass the guard?

2) There a 2 name space on the guard path card. One on top and one at the bottom. WE can use either 1 as our starting route ?

3) 6 dot space for counting LOS ? If we checking for Los towards a certain space, we count each "real" dot (shortest path) toward that space or we do count "invisible" dot towards that space ?

4) Same for noise, do we count "invisible" dot or count shortest path dot towards the space.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do you mean if a novice moves through a space the guard is on? Then no, this will mean she is captured.

2) Yes, the place you are at can be on the top or bottom of the card. The guards always start in their chamber, every game, and they don't "teleport". So when you get to your destination, and have to chose a new card, your current location must always be on top/bottom of the new route.

3) What is an invisible spot? The "6 range" rule is for when there would normally/logically be open space between you, like in the courtyard. It might seem like it is clear space and LOS between you, but if it is more than 6 moves away (shortest path), there is no LOS.

4) Again, what is an invisible dot? But yes, count shortest path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Thanks for replying.

the invisible dot I refer to is

G = Guard ( guard is facing north in this example )
N = Novice
* = Dot/space ( actual space on the board )
_ = nothing

N * * * *
_ _ _ _ *
_ _ _ _ *
_ _ _ _ G

in this example can the G see the N ?

If we count the actual dot/space , it is 7 dot away.

But if we count diagonal northward towards N, it might be 6 or 5 dot away from the Guard ( never mind the actual distance , forget my math formulas =x )thus the invisible dot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only actual spaces on the board count for distance, both for LOS and Noise checks. So no, G can not see N. See also example below. Novice is on opposite side of a wall (|) from Guard. They are also separated by a door (not important in this case). The distance is 3
*D*
N|G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As Tor said, you only count real spaces - no diagonal, as-the-crow-flies measurement like in a mini game.

A novice can run in front of a guard (not using the space the guard occupies), in which case the novice is spotted, places their marker on the board in the first spot where visible, moves along her chosen path, and then places a Vanished token where the guard lost sight of them (through a door, around a corner, behind their 180 vision).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chua chee yong
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys !

Glad I am playing right the first time ! haha

These question pop on my head when I am teaching my friends to play. But I go with the above rule that you guys answer. =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Rice
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have questions, there's also a chart in the book that lists every space and where it can be seen from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pio Jusz
msg tools
Gawain wrote:
1) Do you mean if a novice moves through a space the guard is on? Then no, this will mean she is captured.

In rulebook there is only: "If one of your guards moves to a dot containing a novice, the novice is captured". So according to rules the guard need to moove. So it looks like the novice can cross gouard. Of course novice will be seen but it can be a good move anyway.
It makes sense. Without this rule it will be very easy to block the cells in the last turns by standing/mooving throught the corridors next to cells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
olzyV wrote:
Gawain wrote:

In rulebook there is only: "If one of your guards moves to a dot containing a novice, the novice is captured". So according to rules the guard need to moove. So it looks like the novice can cross gouard. Of course novice will be seen but it can be a good move anyway.
It makes sense. Without this rule it will be very easy to block the cells in the last turns by standing/mooving throught the corridors next to cells.

It is not very easy to block the cells. You have to be on one of the routes that goes in front of the cells, and you have to move every turn, so you can't just sit in front of one cell, and you don't know who's closest to winning, so which cell to block. I only win with the Abbess/Prioress when I catch a lot of nuns when they're trying to get the secret item, usually when one makes noise and I inadvertently see and catch another nun that thought they were in a good hiding spot. Trying to stay near the cells and block them returning never works for me. I find the game very hard to really "win" with the Abbess/Prioress - my wins feel like accidents, or because of some bad/risky moves by some of the nun players. I'm more like a GM, trying to make the game difficult for the nun players, but no real expectation of winning.

I would definitely play that the nuns cannot pass through a space occupied by the Abbess/Prioress. Blocking nuns' movement is part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
olzyV wrote:
Gawain wrote:

Clarification: The whole idea of the game is that when a guard and novice are together, the novice is captured. If a novice would be allowed to cross the dot of a guard, it would surely have been mentioned in the rules, which is not the case.

Have fun chasing after each other!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pio Jusz
msg tools
Thanks. It changes a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.