GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
88 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: More Gilgamesh rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: All_hail_the_mighty_Dearlove [+] SWPL [+] [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To my darling Candy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to have the original full text to read-- in the original but a transcription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet more reboots and remakes. Can't we just get something original?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I want to have the original full text to read-- in the original but a transcription.

Of this newly discovered portion, or the whole thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shreve will tell us what it's really about don't worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

If the whole, I think this is the best option (or at least that I could quickly find)

The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic:Introduction, Critical Edition and Cuneiform Texts [PDF]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a pretty legit stone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like how the curator summed it up:

"It was written as a poem and many new things this version has added, for example Gilgamesh and his friend met a monkey."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

The whole thing including the newly discovered lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

If the whole, I think this is the best option (or at least that I could quickly find)

The Babylonian Gilgamesh Epic:Introduction, Critical Edition and Cuneiform Texts [PDF]

Thank you!

EDIT:
It's not what I had in mind though. It's a transliteration, not the cuneiform text. Still it's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
Is this a pretty legit stone?

I suspect it is clay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
It's not what I had in mind though. It's a transliteration, not the cuneiform text. Still it's cool.

Ahhh, that appears to be in Vol. 2: [PDF]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DavidDearlove wrote:

The new lines include descriptions of a journey into the Cedar Forest, (apparently meaning Lebanon where Balbak, the landing site of the Annunaki, was located). There, Gilgamesh and his prehistoric-human friend Enkidu encounter monkeys, birds, and insects, and then kill a forest demigod named Humbaba.

You have to remember that Gilgamesh is obsessed with finding an alleged life-extender supposedly kept by the Annunaki because he's a hybrid whose mother was Annunaki and whose father was human, and thus, he wouldn't live as long as an Annunaki. The Humbaba was some sort of mechanized sentry that Gilgamesh and Enkidu had to overcome.

In a paper for the American Schools of Oriental Research, Al-Rawi describes the significance of the newly discovered details:

Al-Rawi wrote:
The previously available text made it clear that [Gilgamesh] and Enkidu knew, even before they killed Humbaba, that what they were doing would anger the cosmic forces that governed the world, chiefly the god Enlil. Their reaction after the event is now tinged with a hint of guilty conscience, when Enkidu remarks ruefully that … "we have reduced the forest [to] a wasteland."

The museum's discovery casts new light on Humbaba, in particular, who had been depicted as a "barbarian ogre" in other tablets. As Ted Mills of "Open Culture" writes, "Just like a good director’s cut, these extra scenes clear up some muddy character motivation, and add an environmental moral to the tale."

> Excerpts from the 2006 "Baalbek In The News" story by the late Zecharia Sitchin entitled:

War Comes To "The Landing Place"

The name of an ancient site – Ba’albek in Lebanon – has now been mentioned in dispatches by war correspondents covering the latest flareup in the Middle East. Israeli planes have been dropping bombs there on training and supply encampments of Hezbollah terrorists, in a tit-for-tat for the latter’s missile attacks on Israel. Some of the dispatches refer to the town’s “Roman ruins” - remains of temples that Roman emperors erected in honor of Rome’s gods; but little, if any, mention is made of the place’s earlier and much more significant archaeological remains.

I and those who have been with me to the place several years ago can attest that the “Roman ruins” are indeed imposing remains of three magnificent temples, including the largest temple to Jupiter anywhere in the Roman empire, Rome itself included. But the Romans came there because the place had been revered earlier by the Greeks.

Pompey, Rome’s conquering general, offered there sacrifices in 60 B.C. imitating Alexander the Great who paid there homage to Zeus centuries earlier. The Greeks came because the place was deemed a unique sacred site by the Phoenicians and the Babylonians before them; and before all those generals and emperors and kings, Gilgamesh, king of Uruk in ancient Sumer, went there circa 2900 B.C. to obtain immortality from the gods.

The Landing Place

Having been the son of the goddess Ninsun and the high priest of Uruk, Gilgamesh was considered not just a demigod but “2/3 divine.” This, he asserted, entitled him to avoid the death of a mortal. Yes, his mother told him - but to attain our longevity you have to go to our place of origin (i.e. planet), Nibiru (where one year equals 3,600 Earth-years). So Gilgamesh journeyed from Sumer (now southern Iraq) to "The Landing Place” in the cedar mountains of Lebanon where the rocketships of the gods were lofted.

The Epic of Gilgamesh, a text found inscribed on clay tablets, actually describes how Gilgamesh witnessed a rocketship being launched from the Landing Place. A later Phoenician coin depicted such a large tall conical upright device (suggesting a rocket) standing on a launching pad in the courtyard. (Fig. 2).

As this depiction shows, the launch facility was located on a great platform; and indeed, the truly ancient site of Baalbek encompassed a paved stone platform of about 5,000,000 square feet!

The Colossal Stone Blocks

The most important section of that ancient Landing Place was its northwestern corner, where the remains of the Jupiter temple are located. Its ruins stand atop a platform that rose even higher by rows of perfectly shaped stone blocks weighing some 600 tons each. This is a weight that no existing modern equipment can lift. (By comparison, the stone blocks of the Great Pyramid in Giza, Egypt, weigh about 25 tons each).

This dynorama at Baalbek depicts how many modern-day moving equipment vehicles (approximately 24 or 25) would be required to safely move one of the huge stone blocks of Baalbek. Notice the seated human figures on top of the stone for scale.

The Quarry

The enigmas surrounding the site and the colossal stone blocks do not include one puzzle - where were those stone blocks quarried; because at a stone quarry about two miles away from the site, one of those 1,100-ton blocks is still there – its quarrying unfinished.

To show it, and give an idea of its size, I had my group stand shoulder to shoulder at the foot of this stone block – an accomplishment commemorated by the enclosed photograph (Fig. 5).

The quarry is in a valley, a couple of miles from the site of the “ruins.” This means that in antiquity, someone had the capability and technology needed for quarrying, cutting and shaping colossal stone blocks in the quarry – then lifting the stone blocks up and carrying them to the construction site, and there not just let go and drop the stone block, but place them precisely in the designated course. And there they have remained, intact and unshaken in spite of the passage of time and frequent earthquakes – held together and in place without any mortar…

Built Before the Flood

Who was that “someone?” What technology was used for the incredible feat? When and Why was it all done?

The Maronite Christians who for generations deemed themselves custodians of the site (before they were displaced by the Shiite Moslems) told legends of the “giants” who had built the colossal platform. I found the answers in the ancient Sumerian texts, and related them in my books, "The Stairway to Heaven" and "The Wars of Gods and Men".

The great stone platform was indeed the first Landing Place of the Anunnaki gods on Earth, built by them before they established a proper spaceport. It was the only structure that had survived the Flood, and was used by Enki and Enlil as the post-Diluvial headquarters for the reconstruction of the devastated Earth.

It is the only structure on Earth from before the Flood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

DavidDearlove wrote:

Gibberish

Told you so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give you a clue. What language does that coin have written on it? What does it say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I understand it gives a new beginning to the tale, and goes something like this:

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought I'd be writing to you but...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
jmilum wrote:
whac3 wrote:

For those who did not find this link in one of the two pages linked to in the OP: for the newly discovered portion, this edition would have to be supplemented by the article Back to the cedar forest: the beginning and end of tablet V of the standard Babylonian epic of Gilgameš by F. N. H. Al-Rawi and A. R. George [PDF]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamesterinns wrote:
I like how the curator summed it up:

"It was written as a poem and many new things this version has added, for example Gilgamesh and his friend met a monkey."

You know that was only added, like the Ewoks, for merchandising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I understand it gives a new beginning to the tale, and goes something like this:

"Dear Penthouse, I never thought I'd be writing to you but...."

Thought Gilgamesh turned Ishtar down, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Then you should dig these renditions of the latest Sumerian hits, daddy-o.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Phelps
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So, you're saying they're getting the band back together (or is this more like a solo project)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DavidDearlove wrote:
I will give you a clue. What language does that coin have written on it? What does it say?

It's a Phoenician coin. The image on it is of Baalbek.

Phoenicia was an enterprising sea-based civilization and spread across the Mediterranean from 1,500 B.C. to 300 B.C. As you can see from the map below, Baalbek was in Phoenicia's domain.

The Greek historian Strabo believed that the Phoenicians originated from Bahrain.

Herodotus also believed that the homeland of the Phoenicians was Bahrain. This theory was accepted by the 19th-century German classicist Arnold Heeren who said that: "In the Greek geographers, for instance, we read of two islands, named Tyrus or Tylos, and Arad, Bahrain, which boasted that they were the mother country of the Phoenicians, and exhibited relics of Phoenician temples."

The people of Tyre in South Lebanon in particular have long maintained Persian Gulf origins, and the similarity in the words "Tylos" and "Tyre" has been commented upon. However, there is little evidence of occupation at all in Bahrain during the time when such migration had supposedly taken place.

Forged sometime during the neo-Babylonian era (7th to 6th centuries, B.C.), the Phoenician coin above depicts a priest in prayer before the symbols for Marduk, the chief god of Babylon (latter-day Sumer & Akkad), and Nabu, god of wisdom and writing.

Marduk was the eldest son of Enki, one of the leaders of the Annunaki who whose familyline became identified as the patrons and benefactors of humankind, including his other son, Ningishzida (who's believed to have been the persona behind Yahweh).

Also featured on the left side of the coin is the Tree of Life, the source of the life-extension formula that Gilgamesh was seeking in or around Baalbek in Lebanon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

DavidDearlove wrote:

It's a Phoenician coin. The image on it is of Baalbek.

Its a Roman coin (I think from from the second or third century CE)
The inscription is in Greek and says Holy Byblos.
Its from Byblos.
You see Stilchin makes shit up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Forged sometime during the neo-Babylonian era (7th to 6th centuries, B.C.), the Phoenician coin above depicts a priest in prayer before the symbols for Marduk, the chief god of Babylon (latter-day Sumer & Akkad), and Nabu, god of wisdom and writing.

This is a glazed ceramic seal from Babylon (neo Babylonian period) Department of Oriental Antiquites, Louvre, Paris, France.
And by the way coins are struck not forged and it's too early to be a coin as they were invented in Lydia about 600 BCE and not struck in Babylon until the Persian Conquest.
Is this more Stilchin or are you as pitiful at research as he is?
BTW Phoenicia was not a single polity but a collection of city states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.