Subject: Almost! Luck was half on my side! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time making it past turn 15 (probably...5th game?). Most of my games are decided by the beach landing. While I really love the tension of the LVT checks, they really can make or break your game.

In this game I had great success with landings at Red 3 (the birds belly) but the birds beak less so and I had some terrible luck there - so much so that by turn 15 the birds beak units was pretty much wiped out. I carried on anyway - hoping I could push west quickly enough to get a victory.

All in all I had great card draws this game, but the failure at the beak really doomed me. I got my turn 17 reenforcements on turn 15, I got my turn 28 forces on turn 21! Unfortunately the beak was too fortified by that time and with precious turns left I had to take some chances (CC....). I came relatively close, but no cigar. Going to shelf this game for a while, I might try Peleliu next before going back to this one to see how it plays differently. Here's the board at the end of turn 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm not a fan of Peleliu. It's like Tarawa, except there are no depth markers - the Japs just plaster you if their color comes up. It's a much harder game, much less enjoyable to me. Tarawa has tons of variety, but if you happen to have the luck of the historical landings, you're in for a long day.

I've had some Turn 15 victories, and I've kept playing almost every one of those, and they turned to defeat by Turn 30 !

Are you playing with the errata?

It helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg L

Massachusetts
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah playing the Errata. I've heard that about Peleliu - but I've also heard it's much less luck driven so I'm curious. The landings in this game are great but now I can tell if I don't get good landing results then it's not worth trying to get by turn 15. This game also taught me that if I don't make decent progress at the beak my game is also a loss. Still enjoy it a lot and coming close to winning is still pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DDAP does have depth markers. I'm not sure what Dane was saying.

I actually like the landings in DDAT better than DDAP; they are crazier and more interesting things happen. However, the landings in DDAP are far more predictable and less prone to variations in luck. You generally get to place units where you want them on the beach. Units don't get stuck out at sea, forced to wade in against machine gun fire. And a large percentage of units start in the landing zone of your choice. Overall, you have much more control over where your units enter the map. It's definitely a more forgiving system. But you'll need it, because the troops in DDAP are brutally difficult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.