Subject: Promo Karma? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game on Wednesday from my FLAGS, with two promo cards! Yay me! Played the game this weekend. Solitaire first, then 3 player with wife and kid. Loads of fun! Yay me!

However...when kid launched promo small asteroid into my greenhouses, killing two of my plants, I wondered...was getting that early copy with the promos really such a good idea?!? Hoist by my own eagerness?

Luckily I won by 1 point! So karma no real? Yay me!

(Seriously, this game is loads of fun so far. Looking forward to trying out the real corporations and the full deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rome Knows Nothing
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Got the game on Wednesday from my FLAGS, with two promo cards! Yay me! Played the game this weekend. Solitaire first, then 3 player with wife and kid. Loads of fun! Yay me!

However...when kid launched promo small asteroid into my greenhouses, killing two of my plants, I wondered...was getting that early copy with the promos really such a good idea?!? Hoist by my own eagerness?

(Seriously, this game is loads of fun so far. Looking forward to trying out the real corporations and the full deck.)

Both the same promo card? Cool they gave you two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Both the same promo card? Cool they gave you two.

Yah, I got two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the promo card do? I got a "muled" copy from Gen Con, so I don't have the promo. Is it a Corporate Era card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It raises the temperature and removes two plants for 10 MC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I hope this is made available in the BGG Store, or something similar, in the near future ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard time grasping the obsession over this promo card. It's one card out of more than 200. There are other Asteroid cards, which are similiar to this one.

Even if you DO have the card, it's quite possible you can played a large number of games without even encountering it once..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
carnalito wrote:
I have a hard time grasping the obsession over this promo card. It's one card out of more than 200. There are other Asteroid cards, which are similiar to this one.

Even if you DO have the card, it's quite possible you can played a large number of games without even encountering it once..........

So ... you wouldn't buy it if it was available for a couple bucks on the BGG Geekstore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's rare that a promo actually makes a game better. It was left out of the main game for a reason after all.

There is definitely a "more is better" mentality among a lot of gamers though. And I suppose, if just having more stuff makes them happy, then that's great for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jeff0 wrote:
I think it's rare that a promo actually makes a game better. It was left out of the main game for a reason after all.

There is definitely a "more is better" mentality among a lot of gamers though. And I suppose, if just having more stuff makes them happy, then that's great for them.

That's cool, I'd buy it if it was available at the geekstore for a couple bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:

Yes, it's rare that a promo actually changes the game, so to speak, and neither does this card. It's not a bad card, absolutely not, but it's not the best around either. You can have it or lose it. It's not bad as it wasn't good enough to put in the game as original, it could been there or been part of a upcoming expansion, but now it became a promo card. That is a good thing with Terraforming Mars, that a promo card like this has the same quality as the ordinary cards in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good promo card because it is so lame. It's mildly worth playing if you have it but I'm unlikely to keep it as a starting card or buy it mid game. There are so many better cards. So it doesn't hurt games without the card but it makes players who got it feel a teeny bit special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
jeff0 wrote:

Yes, it's rare that a promo actually changes the game, so to speak, and neither does this card. It's not a bad card, absolutely not, but it's not the best around either. You can have it or lose it. It's not bad as it wasn't good enough to put in the game as original, it could been there or been part of a upcoming expansion, but now it became a promo card. That is a good thing with Terraforming Mars, that a promo card like this has the same quality as the ordinary cards in the game.

The promo wasn't cut from the game. It was invented when we wanted an extra promo card. The reason we chose a Small Asteroid was because we wanted a promo that would promote the game, that we could hand out to increase interest in the game. A card that shows what terraforming can be. A fun card, thematically.
And a card that you wouldn't miss playing without, there already being multiple asteroid cards in the game. There's likely going to be promos that you don't want to miss in the future, but this is not one of them.

Stronghold has shipped 20 promos to each retailer participating in the early-launch kit, which is enough for the 5 games they sell from the kit, plus 15 to hand out (I hope) to other interested customers.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I think it's a good promo card because it is so lame. It's mildly worth playing if you have it but I'm unlikely to keep it as a starting card or buy it mid game. There are so many better cards. So it doesn't hurt games without the card but it makes players who got it feel a teeny bit special.

I think it's a good card, but nothing special. If you want to bump the temperature it's good. Or if you can combo it with discounts, titanium reserves, or event bonuses. Or if the leading player goes for plants arrrh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
carnalito wrote:

So ... you wouldn't buy it if it was available for a couple bucks on the BGG Geekstore?

Perhaps i would. But i wouldnt cry if i missed the oportunity to get the card, which is exactly what some people do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:

The promo wasn't cut from the game. It was invented when we wanted an extra promo card. The reason we chose a Small Asteroid was because we wanted a promo that would promote the game, that we could hand out to increase interest in the game. A card that shows what terraforming can be. A fun card, thematically.

My comment wasn't intended as a sleight against this card in particular. I appreciate your choice to make the promo thematic. The "let's subvert the entire theme of this game" cards that seem so popular are my least favorite type of promo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.