Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Brimstone 10 times now and have to admit that I still have not found a rhythm for the Frontier Town segment of the game. Whether playing solo or with a friend, 2 heroes are used. Is it just a matter of trying to memorize the various towns and buildings to move this along quicker? I'm finding that our visits to a town are taking longer and are far more confusing than playing the actual mission. If the daily event leads to a duel, it is even worse (and there are only 16 daily event cards in the deck so chances are pretty good of that happening).

Up to now, I have tried to limit my stay to just 1 night...2 is the absolute max. There is so much to keep track of that we just get totally bogged down. I like to complete the town visit immediately after the mission before picking up the game but the evenings are simply running too long. What are others using for strategies? How long do you stay in town? Any tips for speeding this up? Thanks for your suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found my group seems to like shopping and upgrading more than the fighting, but two of the four of us play a lot of RPGs so there may be something to that.

What I have tried to do is to end the night after the mission in the mine ends. I have scanned all the town location cards and put them in Dropbox so folks can plan their shopping trip on their own time. That way we don't have a ton of time wasted with folks flipping through the town location cards or searching for them.

I dislike the duel in town as well, but I have to admit the funniest one was when our level 4 Prospector was involved in a duel and managed to put three arrows into the bandit before he even cleared leather. THAT was funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flexibility that the town offers, letting individual heroes stay or leave if they need to. I definitely get what you're saying, that it does slow things down a bit. Personally, I'm always excited to finish the (typically) long quest and get a break as well as see just what we can upgrade and buy.

I could do with a few less dice rolls overall in Shadows of Brimstone, but that's just how this game goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always skip the duel mission because it's just a dice roll mini-game that holds everything up.

Our posse don't spend time in town except for healing, as most are saving up for specific upgrades. I also provide PDFs of town location options that the players can look at during the week to help plan what they want to go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
I also provide PDFs of town location options that the players can look at during the week to help plan what they want to go for.

Awesome idea, will be getting some reference sheets for this! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might try just taking all the choice out of the Town phase and just randomly pick locations that you end up at (maybe redrawing if a nonsensical location is picked, like "Why would the Outlaw go to the Sheriff's Office?"). With all the options available you can fall into Analysis Paralysis pretty easily going over every location trying to figure out what you want to get. It slows things down because then everyone is min/maxing characters trying to figure out what the best use of their money is. The downside is that you lose choice if you know for sure what you want to do in Town, but maybe starting out for the first few missions/games it could help speed things along?

Or in other pen/paper RPGs, my group usually just skips over the Town stuff (unless there's questing stuff to take care of) and let individual players handle buying equipment and such on their own. RPGs aren't competitive (or shouldn't be), so we just go off the honor system and let people sort out their own equipment/gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the actual Town Board (the big one) for Town visits, instead of the normal small one. There are 8 on-board buildings so you can easily throw one building token into each. When High Noon pops-up (like it inevitably does), you can literally just run it right there on the board. It's all set-up and open, and won't require you to mess with the play area to accommodate it.

Also, it offers higher production value! It looks cooler to have your mans+ladies sitting in the actual buildings they're visiting. Gives you a sense of scale.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
The new town expansion does make the game more interesting because it introduces scarcity. Under the original base game rules, my posse's activity looked like this almost every visit:

1.) Go to the Doctor's office to return Specimen Jars and get an anti-venom injection for $10.

2.) Visit the Frontier outpost to get Dynamite and acquire bounties.

3.) Maybe visit the Church to get a blessing.

4.) Flee town after 2-3 days of shopping without any transportation because there's a good chance after Adventure travel results in no Travel Events.

Under the new rules, having transportation is useful to avoid encounters; but our first two visits didn't yield a Blacksmith, so no transportation for us. I also haven't found a Frontier outpost, so no dynamite either. I shudder to think of a visit without the doctor because avoiding poison & venom with the $10 shot is helpful in the Swamps along returning full Speciman jars for empty ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies...I love getting ideas and feedback from other players. I really like the idea of making the charts available for review between sessions and I hope it helps to move things along. We play with shared experience and gold totals so we need to plan together somewhat. I think that ending the game session after the mission and taking time between sessions to plan the town visit will help. Maybe I will try to plan a game session around the town visit and another shorter game option so that time doesn't get away from us. Thanks again for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.