$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Andrew Carpenter
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

I've just finished my first custom board game insert. I took inspiration from several other designs already here on BGG, then I planned out my own design in SketchUp before starting on the real thing.

As it was only $1 extra to get self-adhesive foam core, I decided I would plan out all the pieces, print them and stick them on, and cut out the templates directly. And if I was printing everything out, why not go the extra mile and properly decorate it?

My construction job isn't the greatest -- I rushed into it a bit, and my first knife blade wasn't nearly sharp enough, leaving some rough edges -- but I'm pretty happy with the design and end result.

The tray on the right stays in the box. It helps organise the loose bits, but primarily holds the other trays in place in the box.

The room trays are slightly longer than the originals so that they fill the box space better (but given the foam core thickness, the large room tray couldn't really be smaller anyway). It doesn't affect the layout much. The extra length on the small room tray left space for the coins, which was nice.

The archways were intended as a way to lift stubborn tiles. It turns out everything except the cards are easy to grab anyway; and the holes are a bit small for anything but a pinky finger, so aren't as useful as I'd hoped.

The self-adhesive foam core gave me one face that could be decorated on every panel. I oriented each panel so that the printed side would most likely be visible from the play area, and added content labels for each compartment. (The font isn't a perfect match but it's near enough for me)

The original board tiles make pretty good covers to help ensure the tiles don't escape their trays.

I played it pretty safe with my measurements, so there's a fair bit of wiggle room. If I ever do another one, I'll aim for a closer fit.

---

Because of the way this was done, I do in fact have template files, should anyone want them.

Template PDF (~12MB)
(Preview image for the curious)

If anyone does try out this design, I recommend you don't bother cutting out the archways unless you have a very sharp scalpel and a lot of patience! In the template, I put wooden doors in the archways so they'd still look nice if not cut out.

Also, when assembled I found the 600 compartment to be about 1mm too narrow, so the tiles don't sit flat. Test the spacing with actual tiles (like I should have done), and either shuffle the other dividers to the left a bit, or add 1-2mm to the floor & long walls when cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have another way to get the template files? MediaFire doesn't work. All it does is loop me through add after add after add...and never downloads the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Do you have another way to get the template files? MediaFire doesn't work. All it does is loop me through add after add after add...and never downloads the file.

I'd suggest uploading them to BGG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Carpenter
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
MGAC wrote:

Sure! I've rehosted the PDF myself here and updated the top post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, man!

Are these to scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Carpenter
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
MGAC wrote:
Thanks, man!

Are these to scale?

Yes, the PDF is intended to be printed 1-to-1 on A4 paper. I'm not 100% sure if there is sufficient margin for it to print on letter paper as-is but I think it would be okay?

I can provide the source SVG files so adjustments can be made, if that's something people want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous job! Love the ability to just pull out the trays and play. THAT is worth the time for sure! Unfortunately for me, I just bought the broken token trays or I would gladly use your template.

Can't wait to see your subsequent trays!
Keep em coming!
-Matthew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just picked this up and was thinking I may try this as my first attempt at a foam core insert. Does your design hold the Secrets expansion as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just printed this out on 11x17 paper. Darn american paper measurements. Looking forward to putting this together.

Got the game at B&N sale and after the first play said, "This thing needs a game play insert something fierce."

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip for your work, I just finished assembling this insert, works great! You made it very easy to follow the plans, well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.