Subject: Game Length - How is this played in 30mins? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Started playing this game with my girlfriend to get our heads around deck building. So granted we are very new to the style of game but that shouldn't mean we are so far off the normal game length.

First game we took near 3 hours. second play was more like 2 hours but still long.
What is taking us so much longer, we play cards, spend our power and beat a villain if we have enough. I can only guess that working out the effects of cards is taking us long. or that we are not making very strong decks as it seems we hardly ever pull out anything good enough to beat a supervillian.

And this is two player. We got through more than half the main deck, with more people it would surely take even longer. I wonder if we should be not buying cards that don;t work well with our deck, but if you leave stuff all the time. you end up with a line up of cards no one wants

quick poll
- how long does the game take you?
- what is a normal end of game score. Maybe we buy too many cards, our final scores have been between 70 and 95
- do you always spend as much power as you can?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:

I can never imagine this game taking 30 minutes unless someone trims the deck down to less than 75 cards and a small handful of Super-Villains. Most games with 3 or more players typically take an hour or longer, but time usually flies when you're having fun. I own most of the Cerberus Engine deck-builders, and I've found that most of them are way more fun with at least 3 players, since it ups the value of attacks just a bit more.

cmdaltgamer wrote:

- what is a normal end of game score. Maybe we buy too many cards, our final scores have been between 70 and 95

I've seen it fluctuate more with more players. I've seen endgame scores in the low 50's due to forced destruction of cards and people betting on long-game strategies that didn't pan out due to the randomness of the deck draw. I'd say those are normal for a 2-player game with beginners, though.

cmdaltgamer wrote:

- do you always spend as much power as you can?

That always depends on balancing out the probability between your overarching strategy and whether or not you have cards handy to cull your deck and keep it from clogging with useless stuff you bought "just because". Typically, if it's mid- to late-game, I don't buy stuff strictly to spend Power, unless the card I'm buying can help me quickly trim down the deck or has a great Ongoing ability. If I have 3 Power left and all I can buy is Kick cards, then I usually leave that Power unspent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blade Com
msg tools
Quote:

Standard game of TT with 8 villains takes our group a anywhere from 40-80 minutes. Most base games when played enough will last that long, with the exception of Naruto, Forever Evil, & Cartoon from my play experience, they generally have a longer run time.

Quote:
- what is a normal end of game score.

Standard games 30-70 VP.

Quote:
do you always spend as much power as you can?

Most of the time we try to maximize our turn, but there will be a point in a game where cards with "kick value" aren't worth picking up if they aren't building off what you already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why they have it listed as 30 minutes. That would be the minimum playtime and only if you're playing two players that are very familiar with the cards (i.e. don't have to read any of them to know what they do). Most games will take around an hour or so. If you're new to deck building in general, I can see it taking longer if you're not familiar with how the cards work or how to build combos together to maximize your Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That was not placed on the BGG listing by CZE.
I have submitted to change it to 45 - 75.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
I wonder if we should be not buying cards that don;t work well with our deck, but if you leave stuff all the time. you end up with a line up of cards no one wants

Teen Titans is not the easiest set to get started with. The cards are, on their own, generally weaker than the cards in the other base sets, but the Super Villains still cost about the same.
You NEED to use card combinations, and carefully manage your "Ongoing: Discard this to..." effects.
For comparison (ignoring Super Villains), the Original game has multiple cards with a straight +5 Power printed on them. Heroes Unite has multiple cards with +4 Power printed, and one with +5. Forever Evil has multiple +3 or +4 Power cards.
Teens Titans has _two_ cards with +3 Power straight up. Plenty of cards with 'bonus' power, but only _two_ with a guaranteed +3.

Personal advice:
Destroy effects are VERY handy. Get rid of all Starter cards ASAP.
If it says "Draw a card" on it (or puts cards from Discard Pile to Hand), then you should buy it.
The only "Discard an Ongoing card you control..." effects that are usually worth using are Static and Silent Armor.
(the Plasmus card falls under both of the above. It more often belongs in the "don't bother" pile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.