Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » Variants

Subject: Final? Custom Ancient One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right then. So this may be the last homebrew Ancient One I create until I get further requests to do more. I've had suggestions to do Y'golonac, Mother Hydra, Eihort, Asenath Waite (interesting), or redo some of the existing Ancient Ones. In the end, I decided to go with the last suggestion and chose an Ancient One I think no one uses anymore (like the original Yog-Sothoth). As hinted at in a previous post, I wanted to make this final 'boss' pretty nasty. We have playtested it and beaten it once in 2 games. So for the possibly the final time, enjoy, feel free to critique, and keep rolling dem dice!

v2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "flip a number of adventures faceup"?

Are that many face-up at the start of the game, or are that many face-up in addition to the three that are normally face-up?

His attack is over the top. You need to defeat six difficult monsters just to damage him? And then one comes back every four turns, then he deals 1 to 6 damage to everyone??

I like the battle idea, but it needs tweaking. It could be as simple as starting with 3 on the sheet instead of all 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
What do you mean by "flip a number of adventures faceup"?

Are that many face-up at the start of the game, or are that many face-up in addition to the three that are normally face-up?

His attack is over the top. You need to defeat six difficult monsters just to damage him? And then one comes back every four turns, then he deals 1 to 6 damage to everyone??

I like the battle idea, but it needs tweaking. It could be as simple as starting with 3 on the sheet instead of all 6.

In Gates of Arkham, to play as according to the rules, all 6 arkham adventures that are laid out during setup will be facedown. Using this Ancient One, you can choose which ones to flip faceup.

When you fight the monsters, if you have dice remaining, you can defeat more than one monster per turn. If you want, you can treat each monster on top of the stack as having a task order arrow. If you are fighting the Haunter of the Dark or The Black Man, Nyarlathotep will attack only after your turn is done (i.e. all dice are discarded) even though the Clock may advance past Midnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sylas1 wrote:

In Gates of Arkham, to play as according to the rules, all 6 arkham adventures that are laid out during setup will be facedown. Using this Ancient One, you can choose which ones to flip faceup.

When you fight the monsters, if you have dice remaining, you can defeat more than one monster per turn. If you want, you can treat each monster on top of the stack as having a task order arrow. If you are fighting the Haunter of the Dark or The Black Man, Nyarlathotep will attack only after your turn is done (i.e. all dice are discarded) even though the Clock may advance past Midnight.

I'm not sure what you mean on your first point. Ordinarily, 3 random adventures will be face-up and 3 will be face-down. Are you saying that now, all will be face-down except for the ones chosen by the N investigators? What about if the game has 7 or 8 investigators?

Even if you have remaining dice, and a single Mask, I still find it pretty unlikely that an investigator can defeat the Mask and still have meaningful dice left to roll.

Maybe the damage done should be 1 plus the number of Masks, but still start with 3?

Now that you bring up the order arrow: you need to specify whether a new Mask gets added to the top or the bottom of the stack. I honestly think it would be mechanically simpler and strategically more interesting if there were no order-arrow requirement; that the investigators choose which Mask they can defeat. One unaddressed flaw in Elder Sign is how uninteresting the final battles are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay just re-read the rules. And, yes sir, you are right sir (rolls eyes sheepishly). Funny story, our group has been playing Gates of Arkham for a while now and we've all completely overlooked this aspect and no one has ever corrected us so I thank you for bringing that to my attention. We've been playing the game on SUPER hard mode as it turns out, dealing 6 FACEDOWN adventures during setup cos we didn't know any better.

I will alter Nyarlathotep's ability accordingly to not include the setup part.

In the process, this means that all the Ancient Ones we've faced so far are slightly easier that first thought. And having faced THIS Nyarlothotep twice and beaten him once, should be even less of a problem now.

I WILL consider your alternative for the final battle however. Will playtest soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sylas vlad venare
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was nagging me so I decided to call a couple of friends over for a late night of Gates of Arkham to get to the bottom of this. We managed to fit in a couple of games to playtest the amended version. We got hammered badly early on in the first game, collecting only 5 Elder Signs by the time Nyarlathoptep got to 9. At this point, we decided to intentionally let him awaken and stuck to restoring health and collecting resources.
@Tibs: Using your suggestion to fight the mask monsters in ANY order seemed to work better overall.
Still, it was no easy task defeating them all, but after taking substantial damage initially, we began to whittle down Nyarlathotep until he was no more.
The second game involved a lot more planning ahead, with the Ancient's ability being a problem early game. 1 investigator actually got devoured due to a Mythos effect but through teamwork, we beat him on Elder Signs and he reaching 8 Doom tokens.

Result: We won both games playing this amended version so I'm going to stick with that. Having all 6 monsters wasn't as impossible as first thought though you do need a few resources. I'm changing the original post to show this new version which should be more playable now.

Special thanks go to Tibs for bringing a major rule I overlooked to my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.