Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

The rulebook at "Dungeon Phase" states the following:
Quote:

- If you still have Equipment that can eliminate the Monster,
discard the Monster without losing any HP.
- Otherwise, you lose HP equal to the Monster's strength. Then,
discard the Monster.

Can I lose the HP even if I have an equipment which could eliminate the monster for good?! Or is this some kind of demonstration of recklessness?!

The polymorph equipment of the Mage seems to be affected greatly by this thing. When I have to eliminate a Goblin and face a greater force instead...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can choose when to use polymorph - you're not required to use it on the first monster you cannot otherwise defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kazi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, OK, but why? The rule description is IMHO closer to the other: *if you can eliminate* ... *otherwise* ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I can offer a reasoning that relates to the rule book, but that's how I've always played it, and that's what makes most sense to me, both thematically, and in game play terms - more choice equals more fun. I don't want to play a game in which I'm constantly required to make certain moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
You're not eliminating the monster with polymorph. You're turning it into a different monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kazi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You're not eliminating the monster with polymorph. You're turning it into a different monster.

I beg to differ: the first three words on that tile are:
Quote:
Eliminate a monster

So it IS INDEED elimination...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masu wrote:
Hi

The rulebook at "Dungeon Phase" states the following:
Quote:

- If you still have Equipment that can eliminate the Monster,
discard the Monster without losing any HP.
- Otherwise, you lose HP equal to the Monster's strength. Then,
discard the Monster.

Can I lose the HP even if I have an equipment which could eliminate the monster for good?! Or is this some kind of demonstration of recklessness?!

The polymorph equipment of the Mage seems to be affected greatly by this thing. When I have to eliminate a Goblin and face a greater force instead...

Thanks

My belief is no, you do not have to use an item to eliminate a monster if you have the HP to spare. Otherwise you may end up using your Polymorph on the very first monster, even though it is only a Goblin. I chalk this up to an oversight in the adaptation of the original Japanese game and rules, similar to the rule stating you go through the entire dungeon deck and only then compare the total of the monsters with your HP. If this were the case, the Health Potion would always kick in and bring you back to your base HP. The specific rules for the Healing Potion state it is used "After drawing a Monster card."

Remember the original Dungeon of Mandom only had the Warrior adventurer, so there was no Healing Potion or Polymorph spell to worry about. Likely the main rules of the game were translated exactly without changing them to adapt to the new adventurers added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.