Subject: A few questions from my game last night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny
Canada
flag msg tools
Go Leafs Go
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do you or minions earn cheese for defensive rolls?
2) When do you spawn minions exactly? At the start of every tile, plus on surges?
3) Do normal rats have ranged attacks?
4) When roaches steal cheese, does it go on the surge counter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. But if you roll a guarantee kill, the minion doesn't bother defending.

Everytime you explore a tile for the first time, plus surges and any special rules for that chapter.

No, only Elite rats.

Greedy Roaches, yes. Normal roaches, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyEdge wrote:
1) Do you or minions earn cheese for defensive rolls?

redlion64 wrote:

Also, if your opponent doesn't roll hits, you don't get to roll for defense. No free cheese!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were probably wise enough not to go hunting for the greedy roaches initiative card. Unlike me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
redlion64 wrote:

This is inaccurate. You only forego the defense roll if NO hits are rolled on the attack. Otherwise, ALWAYS make the defense roll and add any cheese rolled to the wheel (for minions rolling defense) or to the mouse's stash (for mice rolling defense).

The rest of Ryan's answers are spot-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the initiative cards, you can see the rats have a sword, ie. melee attack, while the elite rats have a bow, ie. a ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redlion64 wrote:
You don't? I was under the impression that you roll Defense every time an attack roll results in any hits, thus creating the possibility of more cheese on the wheel even if the minion dies. you only pass on a defense roll if no hits are rolled. have we been playing it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
demonllama wrote:
redlion64 wrote:
You don't? I was under the impression that you roll Defense every time an attack roll results in any hits, thus creating the possibility of more cheese on the wheel even if the minion dies. you only pass on a defense roll if no hits are rolled. have we been playing it wrong?

No, you have been playing it right. If you roll at least 1 hit, the other side rolls defense, regardless of how effective it will be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny
Canada
flag msg tools
Go Leafs Go
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I was asking all these questions was because we were on the second tile where there is water in the middle and things seemed to have snowballed on us VERY quickly. We spawned 4 rats, then once it reached page 2 we spawned 5 roaches and, I don't know if they just got lucky, but the cheese just started piling up for them. Our 4 heroes, with the possiblity of only killing 1 enemy per turn, were just overwhelmed and once the next spawn happened it was over.

That seemed a bit difficult on the second tile for a game designed for 7 year olds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyEdge wrote:
That seemed a bit difficult on the second tile for a game designed for 7 year olds.

In many respects the first chapter (and this part of the chapter) is one of the most challenging in the entire story. While the game is designed to be played with 7 yr olds, it really needs to have an adult player as well as the 7 year olds.

When the party of mice drops into the sewers, the initiative order can make or break the party. If the rats are on the top of the initiative cards, the mice are probably in big trouble. It seems like the first order of business for the mice needs to be getting out of the water. My grand-daughter and I have lost the game at that spot more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyEdge wrote:
The reason I was asking all these questions was because we were on the second tile where there is water in the middle and things seemed to have snowballed on us VERY quickly. We spawned 4 rats, then once it reached page 2 we spawned 5 roaches and, I don't know if they just got lucky, but the cheese just started piling up for them. Our 4 heroes, with the possiblity of only killing 1 enemy per turn, were just overwhelmed and once the next spawn happened it was over.

You do know that you only get one surge per tile no matter how often the cheese wheel fills up? The Chapter marker still advances though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.