$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At the moment of writing this this expansion has a rating of 1. It has one rating from a person, who, as we can read in a comment put it on their wishlist and probably click on 1 as a wishlist priority. But still BGG displays the game with bright red 1 as its rating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the average of 1 rating with a 1 is indeed 1. So there is nothing wrong with BGG or the rating. The Average is simply the average of all votings and as long as the one and only voting for the game is a 1, the average rating of 1 is neither incorrect nor broken.

Don't blame the system for its users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:

The utility of a rating based on a sample size of 1 is questionable. Since the system is responsible for providing useful feedback, it might be more helpful for the BGG rating system to not show an average below a certain number of votes. Personally I'm fine either way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:
ovis wrote:

The utility of a rating based on a sample size of 1 is questionable. Since the system is responsible for providing useful feedback, it might be more helpful for the BGG rating system to not show an average below a certain number of votes. Personally I'm fine either way

That's already what the BGG rating is for: It needs a certain amount of votes to even be counted and even then it is filled up with "dummy votes" to correct for different number of votes and only then creates the BGG rating in contrast to the simple average rating which is simply always calculated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:
The utility of a rating based on a sample size of 1 is questionable.

The utility of the BGG rating system based on ANY sample size is questionable. One of my very favorite games has an average rating of 5.884 (based on almost 500 votes).

Since you can't enforce how people will use the system, you end up with all kinds of interpretations. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if BGG stopped showing BGG rankings and average ratings. But I suppose as long as you realize that most of the time your rating will be +/- 3 points of the BGG rating, you can use it as a VERY rough filter to avoid truly crappy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
NINE LITTLE LETTERS
badge
FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to use the rating selectively - just as there are idiots who put in a 1, so too are the fanboys who put 10's against games they have never played.

Over time I have built-up a series of GeekBuddies who are quite active is rating games and adding their own opinions on game play.

I also have a sub-set that I call "Similar Gamers", whose rating pretty much correlate to my own - the like the same types and games and mechanisms and dislike the ones I don't like. I found them by using the correlation tool: http://korttipeliopas.fi/korttipelit/bgg/correlation.php

Whenever I am researching a game, I use the GeekBuddy Analysis to determine the average score from this group and get a summary of their comments.

It works incredibly well and helps me avoid games I may not like to target those I am more likely to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hardstaff
United Kingdom
Brighouse
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Would it not be sensible to not allow users to rate games until they are released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mish666uk wrote:
Would it not be sensible to not allow users to rate games until they are released?
Some games managed to get played earlier than release. For example, I was able to play a couple of games of Battlestar Galactica because somebody went to Gen Con and got a copy 3 months before the general public got it. Others have playtested the game, or have otherwise managed to try it ahead of time (such as Essen).

Also, this wouldn't change much. Instead of giving the game a 1 or 10 rating, they'll just do that on the day they're allowed to give ratings for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.