The Stonebound Saga» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Land of Zion - Brief Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bang Lover
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I had the chance to play Land of Zion this past weekend and here is a quick review of the game. I do not have a copy of the game so I do not have the rules in front of me so, if I mess something up, please forgive me.

Land of Zion is a Card/Board game that offers a variety of elements such as resource management, dice rolling, card positioning and tactical gameplay.

Each player begins with a set of explorers (3 explorers for a 2 player game, 2 explorers for a 4 player game) who each have their own special set of abilities. Each explorer has offensive (attack) abilities and defensive (shield) abilities. There are 7 classes of explorers, each having their own abilities (weapons defense, spirit defense, movement amount, attack power, etc.) and 20 characters in each class.

The game is played on a giant mat/board with spots for your character card to sit in and you move around the board to get yourself in position to attack your opponents or defend against them.

Each player receives a sheet for tracker their players health and abilities that will, undoubtedly, be diminished throughout the game during battles.

A player attacks by the rolling of dice and can deal more damage to their adversary when first rolling for critical damage. Their are standard attacks that each player can do or special attacks based on the players abilities.

The special attacks an explorer can do is based on resource cards that you draw on your turn and match the resources with what your specific explorer needs. When getting the correct resources, you can fuse these cards to your character (typically defensive help) or use these cards immediately (offensive/attack help) against your enemy.

There are also different ailments, such as blind, frozen, cripple, etc) that you can deal to your opposition on special attacks.

Overall I really enjoyed this game. The artwork was phenomenal. The amount of different players (140 in all) should put this into a category of its own in terms of replay-ability. The mechanics of the game are great as well. The attacking and defense work great and the way you can move around the board to attack players was perfect. The game definitely took a bit to grasp/understand but once you get it down, it isn't too difficult of a concept at all.

I would definitely recommend this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.